Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Who loves THE SPICE GIRLS?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-04, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arguably the greatest band in history, they are teaming up again for a wonderful greatest hits album. Its about time too!!

By the way, here are their best solo albums :

Melanie C : "Northern Star"
Melanie B : "Hot"
Emma Bunton : "A Girl like Me"
Victoria Beckham : "VB"
Geri Halliwell : "Scream if you wanna go faster"

Can you think of any other group where EVERY MEMBER has had a Top 10 solo album? I THINK NOT. Thats the reason why the Girls demand your respect and thats why they should get it too.
Old 01-13-04, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by boston george
I think people should be banned for obvious joke accounts. I mean come on how much of this shit do we have to put up with? It was funny at first but come on, at a certain point you're just wasting bandwidth.
No disagreement from me.

While the bandwidth situation is one for Geoff to decide, you can go here and type "Cottington". That'll stop the individual posts from showing up, but I have no idea if it'll stop threads created from him/her being displayed. Of course, ignoring his/her threads might help too.

But, I DO hear what you're saying..

Perhaps s/he's trying to attain "Danol"-type attention. [Another one whose appeal i'll never understand...]
Old 01-13-04, 12:42 PM

Love doesn't shine for Cottington I see..

But he's right it isn't funny because it isn't real.
Old 01-13-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Boy, and I was about to come in hear and pour out my heart about how I don't think they're that bad. It's just the hype and marketing that turn people off. "Two become one" is a pretty simplistic love song, but I like it for what it is, and the video is kinda neat.

But I suppose I'll be told I'm feeding a troll...
Old 01-13-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i still get a laugh out of every post by Cottington. he/she is clearly making a mockery out of everyone here, but that's odd, since i thought this type of behavior is usually reserved for forums about D&D, Magic, Gaming, Teens, etc.
Old 01-13-04, 05:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let's keep this on-topic....

<small>
Originally posted by Cottington
Arguably the greatest band in history, they are teaming up again for a wonderful greatest hits album.
[....]
Can you think of any other group where EVERY MEMBER has had a Top 10 solo album? I THINK NOT.
</small>No great fan of this kind of manufactured product, I have to say that I don't love the Spice Girls. But they and their puppetmasters were good at what they did and so performed well in the charts as a combo and attracted a lot of fans.

With the exception of Mel C's "Northern Star", which I happen to own, I'm not so sure that their individual albums performed so very well and this might just indicate their limits: the band was greater than the sum of its parts.

For information, I believe that John, Paul, George & Ringo may each have had top ten hits outside of the Beatles.... it may depend on what country's chart you are looking at, of course!

And, for those who care, here are all the all-important KISS statistics:
  • Gene Simmons
    Released September 18, 1978
    Chart Peak: #22 (1/6/79) with 22 weeks on charts.
  • Ace Frehley
    Chart Peak: #26 (1/13/79) with 23 weeks on charts.
  • Peter Criss
    Chart Peak: #43 (11/25/78) with 20 weeks on charts.
  • Paul Stanley
    Chart Peak: #40 (12/16/78) with 18 weeks on charts.
[]
Old 01-13-04, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Sure. The Spice Girls are great. There are some songs I don't care for tho'.

I still read an interesting report on Mel C.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews...l&siteid=50143
Old 01-14-04, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

cottington, can you please edit your first post and put their 'spice' names next to their real names? that would help clear things up.. thanks.
Old 01-14-04, 12:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[out-of-date post as one of the posters deleted & suspension in question nearly over]

If you two guys look at Cottington's current member status - which has been in place for 24 hours - you will see why you are skating on very thin ice; particularly given the warnings already posted concerning off-topicality. I hope I can rely on your commonsense here....

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk

Last edited by benedict; 01-21-04 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-14-04, 01:10 PM
Suspended

How can anyone seriously like this group? I mean I can see talent in other teen pop acts like this....ie vocals. But not one single girl in this group can sing worth shit. I don't get it. Was it just the "girl power" image that made them so damn popular years ago?
Old 01-14-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
if it's to be put in perspective...

i'd listen to the Spice Girls over Britney ANY DAY..
Old 01-14-04, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I thought this was going to be a good thread. The Spice Girls are my favorite pop music band of all time. Sure there may be not a whole lot of substance to their songs but I find them to be enjoyable. Now excuse me while I listen to some tracks.
Old 01-17-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm dead serious here. I thought I was going to find the one or two other lost souls in the universe like me who don't think their music is that bad. I honestly think they can sing, and I don't mind the "lightness" of the music. It's when a bubblegum artist tries to be serious is when I look at them askance.

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember watching a Behind the Music or something showing them auditioning, and they could indeed actually carry a tune. I also feel this way about a lot of pop singers. I'm sure they have some talent (technology can only scrub them so well in the recording booth) but they just pick the worst music, and they go for style over substance.

I still pull out the first Spice Girls CD and give it a spin once in a while. It's too bad they couldn't have maintained the group artistically, they might not have had to split in an attempt to gain some respect.

Last edited by milo bloom; 01-17-04 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-17-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by milo bloom
I'm dead serious here. I thought I was going to find the one or two other lost souls in the universe like me who don't think their music is that bad. I honestly think they can sing, and I don't mind the "lightness" of the music. It's when a bubblegum artist tries to be serious is when I look at them askance.

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember watching a Behind the Music or something showing them auditioning, and they could indeed actually carry a tune. I also feel this way about a lot of pop singers. I'm sure they have some talent (technology can only scrub them so well in the recording booth) but they just pick the worst music, and they go for style over substance.
Actually, I think it might also have something to do with their choice of producers too. The first two discs exhibit the "lightness" you mentioned, yet on the third disc they worked with supposed "superproducer" Rodney Jerkins and he stripped it all away.

As far as tunes, i'll admit to liking Viva Forever, 2 Become 1, Mama & Goodbye. I guess I prefer their mid/slow tempo songs more.
Old 01-17-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

2 Become 1 is the first one I think of when I get into these discussions. It's a simple, yet sexy seduction, and I think the video is pretty nifty too. An overused film trick, but still neat.
Old 01-17-04, 09:54 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Spice Up Your Life" and "Stop" are perfectly acceptable pop ditties.
Old 01-18-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was housecleaning earlier, and I popped in the first CD. It was the perfect soundtrack for doing some dishes and laundry. Trying to make it more than that is pointless, so let it be what it is.
Old 01-18-04, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I tell you something in all sincerity...in the mid-90s when they came out I hated and/or laughed at them.

What "pop" music has deteriorated into today is so bad, in retrospect the Spice Girls look like freakin' Beethoven.

No kidding.
Old 01-18-04, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

kinda makes you miss the good 'ol days, huh..?
Old 01-19-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no problem saying that I dig the Spice Girls. Everybody needs a little pop music in their lives. I also agree that their music kills any from the pop music resurgence that they helped birth.
Old 01-19-04, 03:23 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Jepthah
I tell you something in all sincerity...in the mid-90s when they came out I hated and/or laughed at them.

What "pop" music has deteriorated into today is so bad, in retrospect the Spice Girls look like freakin' Beethoven.

No kidding.
I actually agree. Sad but true.
Old 01-19-04, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like "Stop!"

... and "Holler".

... and "Spice Up Your Life".

... and "Say You'll Be There" is fun.

... and "Viva Forever" gets me all teary, thinking of home.
Old 01-20-04, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like the Spice Girls. I have a CD single for "Spice Up Your Life" and even saw "Spice Girls: The Movie" in the theatre.

I am also a married heterosexual male.

Old 01-20-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Chiming in as I like the Spice Girls also.