Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

which version of let it be should i buy?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: which version of "Let it Be should I buy
Let It Be Original 1987 master
36.36%
Let It Be... Naked 2003 remaster
0%
both
54.55%
neither
9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-04, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know which version to get. Also can someone try to explain the backstory of the album. As I understand, Paul didn't like the 2 or 3 songs with strings on them that Phil Spector put on there, and on "naked" he got rid of them. Are there any other diferences between the two albums? Also, I hear that "Naked" is reastered, so, does it sound much better then the original since i never have been a real fan of the 87 remasters.
Old 01-09-04, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best version of these recordings is to search out the Vigotone "Get Back" cd. It is the way the album should have been released originally.
LIB was Spectorized hence the reason Macca hated it
LIBN is Macca's version of it with allot of the good Lennon bits left off. This is his version. Maybe in a few years we'll get Ringo's take on it.
Old 01-09-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: which version of let it be should i buy?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I don't know which version to get. Also can someone try to explain the backstory of the album. As I understand, Paul didn't like the 2 or 3 songs with strings on them that Phil Spector put on there, and on "naked" he got rid of them. Are there any other diferences between the two albums? Also, I hear that "Naked" is reastered, so, does it sound much better then the original since i never have been a real fan of the 87 remasters.
Basically, originally the album was to be called Get Back. This is because it was an attempt by the band to "get back" to their roots after testing the limits of rock with Sgt. Pepper and Yellow Submarine.

The album was originally to be raw and let the music do the talking, warts and all. After the recording completed, no one was really too happy with it, so it was shelved. The band then recorded the wonderful Abbey Road.

John Lennon gave Phil Spector the masters of the Get Back sessions, and instructed him to improve the tracks. Phil introduced his patented, "Wall of Sound" to the tracks by adding string sections, brass, vocals, anything and everything that made a sound. Also, in studio chatter was inserted inbetween tracks to make it feel live.

The band listened to the album and all but 1 member voted for releasing it. Paul was displeased with the mix (probably because Phil and John were so close, and he was beginning to dispise John). The album was released to some confusion and sadness, because shortly after they broke up.
Old 01-10-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would buy both so I could compare them and also because I'm a collector.
Old 01-10-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would get both.

Then you can see if the new version takes a sad song and makes it better.
Old 01-11-04, 09:32 AM

LIB was Spectorized hence the reason Macca hated it
LIBN is Macca's version of it with allot of the good Lennon bits left off. This is his version.
That's not true - the project was approved by Paul, Ringo, and George before he died. The production team, Allan Rouse, Paul Hicks, and Guy Massey, went through the session tapes by themselves to find the best takes for the album. Macca only approved the final product.

Rypro - LIBN has been remastered, and sounds amazing compared to LIB. That said, I would get both for the same reasons as sataniko. The original also has small bits of music and spoken word that are only buried in the Fly On The Wall disc.