Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

So, how did Ruben Studdard's album do?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't find it on the Billboard Top 100. Anyone know how his "Soulful" album did? I'm guessing nowhere near as good as Clay's.
Old 12-16-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right now it's ranked 55 on total sales at Amazon.com. As far as first week it looks like this..

Alicia, Ruben Fight for First and Second

Meanwhile, over at Clive Davis' J Records, they're going to be celebrating for the third time this year. When the albums are all counted today, J will have the No. 1 and No. 2 albums for the third time this year. And the other two times, they had Nos. 1, 2, and 3.

The lucky winners are Alicia Keys and "American Idol" Ruben Studdard, who are very close in sales. Keys' "Diary" may surpass Studdard's "Soulful" by a nose, but last minute figuring could reverse them.

Everyone in the record business should have this problem.

The No. 3 album for the week is OutKast's double CD, on Arista, which is J's sister company under the BMG umbrella. And that brings up an interesting point about the Sony Music-BMG merger. When heads start to roll following consummation of this deal, won't more Sony people than BMG staffers be vulnerable? Sony currently has no new hits. Their highest ranking original CD, by Harry Connick Jr., is at No. 23.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,105860,00.html
Old 12-16-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shocking, I didn't even know he had a single out on radio yet.
Old 12-17-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patrick G Anyone know how his "Soulful" album did? I'm guessing nowhere near as good as Clay's.
From www.billboard.com, about 196,500 less than Clay's

Second-season "American Idol" winner Ruben Studdard bows atop The Billboard 200 with his J Records debut, "Soulful." The album sold 416,500 copies in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan, to become the third "American Idol" -related album to open at No. 1.

In a week that featured much-hyped releases from such artists as Musiq, Westside Connection, Kelis and the Offspring, the television-bred Studdard owns the only top-10 debut. And, despite rising sales, albums by Toby Keith, Josh Groban, OutKast, Hilary Duff and Britney Spears all slip a little this week on the chart.

Studdard's solid numbers failed to top the first-week sales of runner-up Clay Aiken's RCA debut, "Measure of a Man." Aiken's set opened with 613,000 copies and has sold 1.7 million in nine weeks. In May, inaugural "American Idol" winner Kelly Clarkson's debut, "Thankful" (RCA) bowed at No. 1 with sales of 297,000 copies.

With the holiday shopping season in full swing, nearly every album in the top-10 saw sales rise. The sole exception is last week's chart topper, "The Diary of Alicia Keys" (J). The set drops to No. 2 on a 45% sales dip to 324,000 copies, which brings the set's two-week total to 961,000 copies.

The 14th volume in the "NOW That's What I Call Music!" series (Universal/EMI/Zomba/Sony) saw a 40% boost to sales of 261,000 copies. The gain sends the compilation album up 4-3, and gives it a to-date sales total of 1.4 million.

Sales of Keith's "Shock'n Y'all" (DreamWorks) rose 15% to 245,000 copies (1.6 million to-date), but the title falls 2-4. Groban's "Closer" drops 3-5 this week on a 27% jump to 238,000 copies.

OutKast's "Speakerboxx/The Love Below" (Arista) received a 21% boost to 215,000 copies, but drops one position to No. 6. The two-CD set, fueled by hit singles "Hey Ya!" and "The Way You Move" featuring Sleepy Brown, has sold 2.36 million units in 12 weeks of release.

With a 13-7 leap, Rod Stewart rockets back into the top-10 with "As Time Goes By: The Great American Song Book Vol. II." In a week of many media appearances for Stewart -- including "Good Morning America!" and "The Late Show With David Letterman" -- the J Records set saw an 84% sales burst to 204,000 copies, bringing its to-date sales to 1.11 million.

Sales of "Metamorphosis," the Buena Vista debut from teen star Duff, were up nearly 31% to 201,000 copies, yet the album falls 6-8. In 16 weeks, the set has sold 1.65 million copies.

"The Very Best of Sheryl Crow" (A&M) maintains its No. 9 post for the second week, with sales up 32% to 174,000 copies (836,000 to-date). Spears' "In the Zone" (Jive) drops from No. 7 to round out the top-10, although sales were up about 5% to 158,000 copies (1.15 million to-date).

With sales of 156,000 copies, R&B singer Musiq lands at No. 13 with his latest, "soulstar" (Def Jam). His 2002 album "juslisen" opened at No. 1 on 260,000 copies.

The second Westside Connection album, "Terrorist Threats" (Priority), enters at No. 16 with sales of 136,000 copies. The gangsta rap supergroup, featuring Ice Cube, Mack 10 and WC, made its entrance in 1996 with "Bow Down," an album that arrived at No. 2 with 145,000 copies.

R&B vocalist Avant lands at No. 18 with "Private Room" (Geffen; 128,000 copies sold), while the latest from hip-hop act Big Tymers, "Big Money Heavyweights" (Cash Money/Universal), arrives at No. 21 (116,000 copies sold).

With a No. 27 opening, Kelis scores the best chart week of her career with "Tasty" (Star Trak/Arista). Featuring hit single "Milkshake," the third album from the Neptunes-bred R&B vocalist sold 93,600 copies. Her 2002 debut for Virgin Records, "Kaleidoscope," peaked at No. 144 and has sold 233,000 copies to date. Her follow-up, "Wanderland," was not given an official U.S. release.

Pop-punk act the Offspring enters at No. 30 with its seventh album, "Splinter" (Columbia; 88,000 copies sold).

Other notable entries this week include the second effort from Hoobastank, "The Reason" (Island; No. 45), Nick Cannon's self-titled Jive album (No. 83) and the self-titled debut from Fefe Dobson (No. 111).

The Billboard 200 and all of Billboard's charts dated Dec. 27, 2003, will be posted tomorrow (Dec. 18) on Billboard.com.
Old 12-17-03, 12:15 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Dog man! Go Ruuuuuben!
Old 12-17-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It did great considering the album hasn't been hyped as much as Aiken's or Clarkson's.

User reviews on Amazon are not so good however.
Old 12-17-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On a related note, Justin Guarini's album totally tanked.

Honk!
Old 12-17-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On another related note, the World Idol ratings are going to totally tank.
Old 12-18-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by big whoppa

User reviews on Amazon are not so good however.
My girlfriend, who's from Birmingham, AL is a fanatic about this show, and more specifically, about Ruben. We watched the entire 2nd season, and I even got into it a bit and starting rooting for him. I saw the American Idol tour in B-ham earlier this fall (on urgings from the gf, not by my own free will). Having said that, she got the album last week and we listened to it while running errands. We both agree that it's not very good at all. It's way too hip hop and doesn't showcase Ruben's voice at all. He was much better on the show.
Old 12-18-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering their is a lot available at Best Buy, not that damn good.
Old 12-19-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard Ruben sing on Leno last week and really wasn't too impressed. It's not that he doesn't have a great voice (which he does), it's just that the song he sang (which, unfortunately, I can't remember the title of but it's off his new CD) was really boring. I'll have to listen to the whole album one of these days to get a firm grasp on just how it is. However, so far, the album has been selling fairly really well from what I've heard on CNN but it has only been on the charts for a week now.
Old 12-20-03, 01:00 AM

I can't remember the name of the song either (something to do with "flying without wings") but it's been playing in heavy rotation on one of the R&B stations down here lately.

I didn't even know it was him until I heard sing the same song on the American Music Awards.

Last edited by vallerie; 12-20-03 at 01:07 AM.
Old 12-20-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
On a related note, Justin Guarini's album totally tanked.

Honk!
mmmm *swoon* I wish I saw him as much as I see Kelly (wouldnt it be cool if she won her Grammy? )
Old 12-20-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think any of the American Idol performers should win a grammy.