Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Country radio fans - Dixie Chicks back on the air all of a sudden?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Country radio fans - Dixie Chicks back on the air all of a sudden?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't listen to country music at all (in fact, I downright loathe the genre in general), but I will say this...

The Dixie Chicks' comments actually made me take a step back and look at my own prejudices I had about country music. Not that it made the music any more palatable to me, but I had all country music artists basically pegged as ignorant, right-wing, gun-loving, war-mongering white people, but their comments shed new light for me. Plus, the fact that they used their position as music stars to release their frustrations about the situation of the time, which I truly and deeply respect.

Then, of course, that one dude (Toby something) released that pro-war song called "Courtesy of the Red White and Blue" and almost completely destroyed my newfound opinions on country music and its "artists." That song made me physically sick to my stomach.
Old 12-09-03, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should listen to some of the Chicks music. I listen to Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Garbage, Tori, and the last thing I ever expected to like was the Dixie Chicks. But I love them. The voice, the songs, the music, it's all quite good. It all started for me with a song called "There's your trouble." Give it a listen, maybe you'll buy the live cd they just released. It's quite good.

I stood with them in the controversy as fan and because the whole thing seemed stupid, but I don't really care what their political interests are, right or left. I like them because of their music. Ok, and I have a slight crush on Natalie.

I didn't care for Toby Keith's song either, but I didn't like his voice or songs before anyway.
Old 12-09-03, 06:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dolphinboy
And she woudn't have been in a position to "change" her story if it weren't for people asking her about a thousand times a day due to the righties on talk radio encouraging people to overreact to it before there was any time to really put her rather benign comments into context in the first place.
You're not suggesting that it's not her fault that she changed her story, are you?
Old 12-09-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Static Cling
You're not suggesting that it's not her fault that she changed her story, are you?
You're not suggesting that pretty much every celebrity, politician, or anyone in the public eye no matter what their beliefs, when confronted with a potential controversy don't usually issue a standard apology press release/statement that, if the controversy grows instead of fading away, usually differs from what that person ends up saying when forced to discuss it in detail?

It happens every single day, it happens on "the news", it's most certainly happening by leaders in the city that you live in by people making very important decisions. It's ridiculous that people are looking carefully at the statements of the lead singer of a "country music" band. She's not a brain surgeon, not great with words, not practiced in lying, so her stories and explanations have changed? What a surprise...

I thought the original comments were benign and silly, but you have every right to be offended by them. But picking apart Natalie Maines' statements about her original remarks in London that you've seen edited on television or in the newspaper seems like a complete waste of time over something not particulary surprising or important.

Last edited by dolphinboy; 12-09-03 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-09-03, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by dolphinboy
I'd be willing to be that upwards of 90% (or more) of their audience that night agreed, were amused by or even enjoyed the comments, so I'm not sure what the meaning of the cost of the tickets is to the controversy.
Of course you're right. I don't know where I got off saying some of the stuff I said, just not acceptable. Us right wingers have no clue as to what's going on in the world, I really have to start listening to the likes of Michael Moore and Al Franken. Sorry to waste your time posting such filth.
Old 12-09-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by aktick
Of course you're right. I don't know where I got off saying some of the stuff I said, just not acceptable. Us right wingers have no clue as to what's going on in the world, I really have to start listening to the likes of Michael Moore and Al Franken. Sorry to waste your time posting such filth.
So, how do YOU manage to make this political? In every post I've made, I've gone out of my way to make sure I didn't defend them as a liberal or as a democrat, but as a fan of their music and someone simply analyzing from a distance how important (or not important) the whole controversy was.

But, people like yourself, so blindly partisan, need to force things into a political tirade.

The comment you quoted was about someone complaining that the audience who paid to see them didn't need to hear their political views, although they didn't really get that, but rather, an off-handed, ill-timed remark. Were you at the concert in England? Were people booing them? Did anyone ask for their money back? If so, please let me know.

I'm a Pearl Jam fan and I know where they stand politically, but I see their concerts for the music. What Eddie says between songs is his business and I don't feel my money is wasted if he says something that offends me.

Glad that you showed your real stripes by bringing Al Franken along with Michael Moore into a Dixie Chicks debate. If you had only managed to mention Clinton, you would have hit the trifecta.
Old 12-09-03, 07:59 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey now, I like Clinton! I can't believe we're arguing about something so trivial on a DVD Talk forum. I'm more guilty than than you, I admit. Sorry for any annoyance I've caused, I'll keep my thoughtless comments out of this thread from now on.