Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Old 05-22-24, 06:05 PM
  #76  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 78,031
Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I can sort of see all of the praise "Sgt Pepper" gets.

Now, "Pet Sounds," on the other hand, no... it's still just a Beach Boys album. They're a novelty act, barely a step above the Monkees.
You don't hear a clear progression in God Only Knows over California Girls or I Get Around? I think God Only Knows is one of the most gorgeous songs ever recorded. I hear those little jingle bells at the beginning and I still get chills.
Old 05-22-24, 06:23 PM
  #77  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Posts: 54,948
Received 2,004 Likes on 1,333 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I can sort of see all of the praise "Sgt Pepper" gets.

Now, "Pet Sounds," on the other hand, no... it's still just a Beach Boys album. They're a novelty act, barely a step above the Monkees.
You owe me a new computer. My previous one burst into flames due to how hot this take is.
Old 05-22-24, 06:49 PM
  #78  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 24,959
Received 650 Likes on 467 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

What a bizarre list.

IMO, the greatest album ever recorded is Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, at least it got on the list at 25. But apparently only two jazz albums are among the 100 greatest albums of all time.
The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24, 07:04 PM
  #79  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 17,443
Received 948 Likes on 658 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

I'm not a Beach Boys fan by any means... in fact, I think most of their hits are just childish. But I definitely don't equate "Pet Sounds" to anything they've done before it. That's on a whole different level. It's not in my Top 100 albums (not that I've ever compiled a list), but I have to get it major props.

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
What a bizarre list.

IMO, the greatest album ever recorded is Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, at least it got on the list at 25. But apparently only two jazz albums are among the 100 greatest albums of all time.
That's what I'm talking about! I'm sure I can create a Top 100 albums list myself, I just wouldn't know how to rank them. And if I did rank them, it would constantly change depending on how I feel at the time.
But however I order the ranking, Kind of Blue would probably be in the Top 5 in any iteration of my list.

There really should be more than 2 traditional jazz albums on the list (3 if you also include jazz vocals of Nina Simone). I would've included Charles Mingus Ah Um, Art Blakey's Moanin' and Cannonball Adderley's Somethin’ Else.


The following users liked this post:
Toby Dramit (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24, 07:46 PM
  #80  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 13,511
Received 1,170 Likes on 845 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

I never got the SGT PEPPER is the greatest album of all time thing. I understand how important it is in terms of production and concept and representing a cultural moment, but song by song it does not hold up as great music.

I'd put BAT OUT OF HELL up there, except the last track "For Crying Out Loud" sucks.
Old 05-22-24, 08:01 PM
  #81  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Atascadero, CA
Posts: 10,858
Received 303 Likes on 222 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Sgt Pepper is one of my least favorite Beatles albums. I like it and understand it’s very important historically just one of the last I personally go to.

My personal biggest misses from the list after thinking on it and seeing other’s thoughts

Fiona Apple - When the Pawn …
Ramones - either the debut or It’s Alive (maybe my favorite live album ever)
Pink Floyd - Animals
Little Simz - Sometimes I might be Introvert
System of a Down - Toxicity
Pixies - Doolittle
Weezer - Weezer
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Old 05-22-24, 08:16 PM
  #82  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
tommyp007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Kingsport, TN
Posts: 6,435
Received 125 Likes on 84 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Decker
No need for a new thread, but Apple Music just released their selections for the 100 Best Albums of All-Time.
https://twitter.com/PopBase/status/1...181686737?s=19
"Purple Rain" isn't even Prince's best album.

Last edited by tommyp007; 05-22-24 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-22-24, 08:30 PM
  #83  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 24,129
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,677 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

I never got the whole Pepper worship either, although I'm sure it was something a bit revolutionary for its time. Now, if the Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane single was added, and replaced a couple of the duff tracks, that may have been different. But I'm happy to see Revolver on the list, that Beatles album was a huge step forward in pop music at the time.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (05-22-24)
Old 05-22-24, 09:34 PM
  #84  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 44,598
Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Decker
You don't hear a clear progression in God Only Knows over California Girls or I Get Around? I think God Only Knows is one of the most gorgeous songs ever recorded. I hear those little jingle bells at the beginning and I still get chills.
Originally Posted by Kurt D
You owe me a new computer. My previous one burst into flames due to how hot this take is.
I've never really been into the Beach Boys, so I can't really comment on any kind of progression; I really only know their music from pop culture osmosis. I can probably rattle off ten or so of the greatest hits, but that's about it.

Though I will say that the first few times I heard "God Only Knows" I didn't realize it was a Beach Boys number. Decent song, but it doesn't really resonate with me; maybe because it's been used in so many movies/tv shows that it feels kind of watered down.

I do remember reading a while back that one of the Beatles said Sgt Pepper was then trying to make their own Pet Sounds, and it blew me away that the Beatles would even feel like they were competing with the Beach Boys.

The Beach Boys' music has just always felt bland and milquetoast to me, even though they used to hang around with Charles Manson and Brian Wilson took so much acid he went crazy.


Old 05-22-24, 10:44 PM
  #85  
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Posts: 54,948
Received 2,004 Likes on 1,333 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Being glancingly familiar with maybe 10 greatest hits through osmosis isn't the greatest foundation for rating a band ... just sayin'
Old 05-22-24, 10:50 PM
  #86  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 17,443
Received 948 Likes on 658 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Fiona Apple - When the Pawn …
I agree with this.
I would've also included Aimee Mann's Bachelor No. 2 (or even Lost in Space) personally.

Other big misses:
Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels on a Gravel Road
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night, Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, Mule Variations (any of them - take your pick)
Van Morrison - Moondance
Roxy Music - Avalon
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Old 05-22-24, 11:07 PM
  #87  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,881
Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Apple's list is brutal but what do you expect in 2024? Popular music seems to be producing slightly fewer all-time classic albums on a rate basis with each passing decade. We may just be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic at this point. I doubt we can do much more with a guitar sound, that potential is mostly tapped at this point. I'm assuming there's still a little more to mine from electronics but I foresee AI-driven music soon becoming a dominant musical force.

The placement for The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is exactly what it is, clickbait for viral marketing purposes. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing to do with anyone's truth but an editorial looking for clicks and buzz. And I consider The Score from the Fugees one of rap's greatest albums with Lauryn Hill making huge contributions. It would be a huge reach placing Miseducation even in the top 100 albums ever recorded since World War II.
Old 05-22-24, 11:22 PM
  #88  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 78,031
Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

The placement for The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is exactly what it is, clickbait for viral marketing purposes. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing to do with anyone's truth but an editorial looking for clicks and buzz. And I consider The Score from the Fugees one of rap's greatest albums with Lauryn Hill making huge contributions. It would be a huge reach placing Miseducation even in the top 100 albums ever recorded since World War II.
I mean it's not THAT controversial. In the most recent Top 500 album list from Rolling Stone, they had it at 10

Spoiler:
[QUOTE]​​​​​​
“This is avery sexist industry,” Lauryn Hill toldEssencemagazine in 1998. “They’ll never throw the ‘genius’ title to a sister.” Though already a star as co-leader of the Fugees, with Wyclef Jean, she was hungry to express her own vision. “[I wanted to] write songs that lyrically move me and have the integrity of reggae and the knock of hip-hop and the instrumentation of classic soul,” the singer said of her debut album.She took control of the recording process, writing, producing, arranging, and helming sessions that included collaborators like pianist John Legend, still in college when he got the call to go out to New Jersey, where Hill was recording, and the pathfinding R&B artist D’Angelo. They shaped a sound that went from the money-hating banger “Lost Ones” to subtle, glorious, heartbreaking monuments such as “Ex-Factor” (reportedly about Wyclef Jean) and the swinging sermon “Doo Wop (That Thing).” For “I Used to Love Him,” Hill duetted with her hip-hop-soul forebear Mary J. Blige. Each song was driven by a clarity of vision and personal honesty that felt revelatory; in “To Zion,” she detailed her struggles as an ambitious professional and a new mom.Miseducation’s musical legacy is just as deep; at a time when pop was becoming increasingly slick and digitized in the go-go Nineties, here was an album that showed the commercial appeal of a rawer sound; “I wanna hear that thickness of sound,” Hill said. “You can’t get that from a computer, because a computer’s too perfect. But that human element, that’s what makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I love that.”
Old 05-23-24, 08:51 AM
  #89  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6,497
Likes: 0
Received 1,096 Likes on 765 Posts
re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I've never really been into the Beach Boys, so I can't really comment on any kind of progression; I really only know their music from pop culture osmosis. I can probably rattle off ten or so of the greatest hits, but that's about it.

Though I will say that the first few times I heard "God Only Knows" I didn't realize it was a Beach Boys number. Decent song, but it doesn't really resonate with me; maybe because it's been used in so many movies/tv shows that it feels kind of watered down.

I do remember reading a while back that one of the Beatles said Sgt Pepper was then trying to make their own Pet Sounds, and it blew me away that the Beatles would even feel like they were competing with the Beach Boys.

The Beach Boys' music has just always felt bland and milquetoast to me, even though they used to hang around with Charles Manson and Brian Wilson took so much acid he went crazy.
That sounds to me like you've never actually listened to Pet Sounds. I'm going to guess it still wouldn't be your thing, but it is a seismic leap over the stuff they were doing previously. The thing about Pet Sounds is that it's not really a rock record like most of the other albums it gets grouped with. It's more George Gershwin and the Everly Brothers than it is Chuck Berry. After Pet Sounds came Good Vibrations, which was another jump and was a glimpse at what could have been with the Smile album had Brian Wilson's brain not melted. I think the original intended versions of tracks like Surf's Up and Heroes & Villains are spectacular and just as visionary as anything the Beatles were doing on Sgt. Pepper.

As for the Beach Boys overall, one thing to remember about them is that while Brian is a musical genius, he had a lot of help with lyrics. You kind of have to look beyond a lot of the words to understand their pleasures, especially with the early stuff. After Brian broke, the other guys started writing their own songs. Late 60's/70's Beach Boys are much more like a traditional rock/pop band with a variety of styles and influences, but Brian's best days were behind him and the music just isn't as good as a lot of their contemporaries.

Last edited by rocket1312; 05-23-24 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-23-24, 09:26 AM
  #90  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 7,573
Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Tommy_Harn
So, you're telling me Nirvana has a top 20 album, but Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, the Grateful Dead, the Doors, the Who and U2 have none?
Not only that, but the Nevermind album is passable at best.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rival11:
cultshock (05-23-24), darkdaze73 (05-23-24)
Old 05-23-24, 09:44 AM
  #91  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 3,823
Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts
Re: Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 500 Albums of all time

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Apple's list is brutal but what do you expect in 2024? Popular music seems to be producing slightly fewer all-time classic albums on a rate basis with each passing decade. We may just be rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic at this point. I doubt we can do much more with a guitar sound, that potential is mostly tapped at this point. I'm assuming there's still a little more to mine from electronics but I foresee AI-driven music soon becoming a dominant musical force.

The placement for The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is exactly what it is, clickbait for viral marketing purposes. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing to do with anyone's truth but an editorial looking for clicks and buzz. And I consider The Score from the Fugees one of rap's greatest albums with Lauryn Hill making huge contributions. It would be a huge reach placing Miseducation even in the top 100 albums ever recorded since World War II.
Miseducation is a fine album. I won't put it first but it's definitely one of the best albums of all time. What we are seeing is a generational change with these lists. It's not Boomers making then anymore. This one has a heavy Gen X influence with a sprinkle of Millennials in there. It's a shift in demographics.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kdogg:
Decker (05-23-24), tasha99 (05-24-24)
Old 05-23-24, 01:49 PM
  #92  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cultshock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: True North Strong & Free
Posts: 24,129
Received 2,487 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I do remember reading a while back that one of the Beatles said Sgt Pepper was then trying to make their own Pet Sounds, and it blew me away that the Beatles would even feel like they were competing with the Beach Boys.
Yeah, there was a competition at the time. I recall reading that Brian Wilson first heard Strawberry Fields Forever on the car radio, and pulled over to the side of the road, listened to the song in awe as it sounded like nothing ever heard before, and then thought "Oh my god, what the hell do I write now?"
Old 05-23-24, 01:53 PM
  #93  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 7,598
Received 646 Likes on 393 Posts
Re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by Rival11
Not only that, but the Nevermind album is passable at best.
Rolling Stone's original review of Nevermind was 3 out of 5 and was still pretty negative when it was first published. Then it blew up and the magazine had its head so far up Cobain's ass that they then did a hit job cover story on Eddie Vedder. The magazine has been a joke for a long time.
Old 05-23-24, 03:17 PM
  #94  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
jpcamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 8,089
Received 425 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

I'm surprised that the list is not simply streaming numbers and is very subjectively chosen.

"To celebrate, Apple Music’s Zane Lowe and Ebro Darden sat down with legendary record producer, writer, and performer Nile Rodgers and Grammy-nominated artist and producer Maggie Rogers to reflect on the list during a special roundtable broadcasting globally today on Apple Music. Watch the full roundtable at music.apple.com.
Apple Music’s 100 Best Albums is a modern 21st-century ranking of the greatest records ever made, crafted by Apple Music’s team of experts alongside a select group of artists, songwriters, producers, and industry professionals. The list is an editorial statement, fully independent of any streaming numbers on Apple Music — a love letter to the records that have shaped the world music lovers live and listen in."
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/...100-best-list/

I would call a list with no Tom Petty, Aerosmith or Elvis that includes a lot of rap and whatnot as biased and flawed at best. Almost have to wonder if it was meant to be divisive and a conversation starter.
Old 05-23-24, 09:04 PM
  #95  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 17,443
Received 948 Likes on 658 Posts
Re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I would call a list with no Tom Petty, Aerosmith or Elvis that includes a lot of rap and whatnot as biased and flawed at best. Almost have to wonder if it was meant to be divisive and a conversation starter.
Love him or hate him, Elvis really wasn't known for his albums. He was basically a "singles" artist, even though he probably sold a ton of albums. I honestly couldn't name an Elvis studio album and I don't think I've ever seen an album of his on a "Best Albums" list.
Old 05-23-24, 09:47 PM
  #96  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 27,881
Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts
Re: Top Albums of All Time lists - Discussion

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I'm surprised that the list is not simply streaming numbers and is very subjectively chosen.



https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/...100-best-list/

I would call a list with no Tom Petty, Aerosmith or Elvis that includes a lot of rap and whatnot as biased and flawed at best. Almost have to wonder if it was meant to be divisive and a conversation starter.
The list was 100% meant to be controversial. But I did a little digging and apparently it looks like they often went with the most streamed album for a particular year as top candidates. That's how I suspect the Lauryn Hill album got consideration. It's the most streamed album on Spotify from 1997, though its numbers are dwarfed by top albums from other years in the 1990s.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.