Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

One and only Pearl Jam concert recordings thread [merged]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

One and only Pearl Jam concert recordings thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-02, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pearl Jam bootlegs with the Ape/Man symbol?

Anyone have a list of the European and U.S. shows that carry this designation (the symbol on the back cover noting that this is one of the band's favorite shows)?

Also, do you agree/disagree with their selections?
Which would get your seal of approval?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
I have two of them and they BOTH have the APE symbol...

No#62- October 22,2000 Las Vegas Nevada( this is their 10th year ANNIVERSARY show)
No#72 - Seattle, Washington November 6, 2000 (this is the Last show of tour and it's the Only 3CD)

both of them are GREAT...
Old 10-25-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From the European leg of the tour...

1) 5/30 London
2) 6/6 Cardiff Wales
3) 6/8 Paris
4) 6/16 Katowice Poland
5) 6/20 Verona Italy
6) 6/22 Milan Italy

First American leg...
1) 8/7 Atlanta
2) 8/12 Tampa
3) 8/21 Columbus
4) 8/24 Jones Beach
5) 8/25 Jones Beach
6) 8/29 Boston
The 9/5 Pittsburgh show should have been one, but that's just me I guess.
The second leg...
1) 10/7 Detroit
2) 10/9 Chicago - the crowd was awesome at this one
3) 10/22 Las Vegas - The 10th anniversary show
4) 10/25 San Diego
5) 11/3 Boise
6) 11/6 Seattle - 3 CD final show of the tour

My personal favorites of those listed are London, Katowice, Tampa, Jones Beach 8/25, Chicago, and Vegas.

Of those not designated with the ape/man symbol I would recommend Phoenix, Memphis, Philadelphia (the only time they played "Breath" on the whole tour), Pittsburgh, and Praha (6/14).
Old 10-25-02, 10:16 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pearl Jam bootlegs with the Ape/Man symbol?

Thumbs, I don't have the time or the resources to research each and every bootleg-related post: the onus is on you to post a link unequivocably demonstrating that the copyright holders are OK with bootlegs. This has to be explicit, not just a "the band rate them so they must be OK" statement.

Thank you, in advance, for keeping this thread open and protecting your own posting privileges by doing the right thing.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
Concerning bootlegs, threadcraps etc.
Old 10-25-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Re: Pearl Jam bootlegs with the Ape/Man symbol?

Originally posted by benedict
Thumbs, I don't have the time or the resources to research each and every bootleg-related post: the onus is on you to post a link unequivocably demonstrating that the copyright holders are OK with bootlegs. This has to be explicit, not just a "the band rate them so they must be OK" statement.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
Well, the band issued the bootlegs, so I would assume they are OK with them.
Old 10-25-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
These are official releases (available in stores everywhere). These were released by the band.

A good database for "unofficial" (Yet still possible legal recordings) is
http://btat.wagnerone.com/

This is the "Bands that allow taping" list. You can see the bands "rules" on taping with your own equipment here.

Example:
Pearl Jam
Their official policy is no pro (External Mics, A/D, Pre-Amps, DAT Decks, and Stands) equipment. But the policy is pretty laxed. You shouldn't have any problems getting in with "portable" equipment such as the Sony DAT Decks, the smaller pre-amps (mv100, mp2, SX-M2) and Stealth Mics of your choice.

Dave Matthews
9/25/01 - You can tape any Dave matthews Band show from ANY seat in the house, it is NOT section only. They are NOT in a transitional period. This is how it is and always will be. The only exceptions are at a VERY few venues that are adament about not allowing stands FOB. You can of course still tape up there with mics in a hat or holding up your mics and that is A-OK with venue security, but you CAN bring stands up fron at just about every venue except for Foxboro Stadium. However, with their video cameras used to record for the TV screens around the stage and other areas in the venue, they are pretty tight about not allowing stands above head hight in the center section up front, so run sky-high at the stacks are you're golden (there's a mono mix to each stack, so that's what you want anyway)
Old 10-25-02, 12:21 PM

Re: Re: Pearl Jam bootlegs with the Ape/Man symbol?

Originally posted by benedict

Thank you, in advance, for keeping this thread open and protecting your own posting privileges by doing the right thing.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk
They are also referenced on the band's official page:

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/Pea...ds/framex.html

Look under EuroBoots2002, NorthAmBoots1 & NorthAmBoots2.
Old 10-25-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You gotta also recommond the Seattle 3 disc'er. Don't remember the exact date of it.

My good friend has all the discs for the tour. I'm so envious.
Old 10-25-02, 06:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by Chrisedge
These are official releases (available in stores everywhere). These were released by the band.
</small>Thanks, Chris. So it looks like the thread title was a misnomer....
Old 10-26-02, 04:51 PM

Benedict, the thead title is not a misnomer. I apologize if in some way I have stirred the bootleg stew, but Pearl Jam (the band) and Sony (their record company) officially refer to these releases as "Bootlegs".

Perhaps I should have included a link to www.pearljam.com or the aforementioned link to the Sony page where these 72 volumes are specifically listed as "Bootlegs".

Please let me know if I need to do anything else to protect my posting privileges.
No, Chris and others already answered the question. As I said here and in the longstanding "Bootleg" sticky it is now the case that posts alluding to such recordings have to justify themselves in advance (see my 13 June post). Although I can see why you followed the band's (mis)use of the word the rules have been up there long enough for people to cotton on - so my mild warning post was inevitable. [Benedict]

Last edited by benedict; 10-27-02 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-26-02, 04:53 PM

Thanks, Dubya, for the specific ape/man concerts and to everyone for the recommendations! I've picked up a few of these and really enjoy them.
Old 05-10-03, 12:44 PM

Pearl Jam Bootlegs (Legit)

I searched but came up with nothing. Also, if this violates forum rules I appologize.

I heard that Pearl Jam allows fans to trade copies of their concerts. If so, are they referring to fan recordings, or does this include the Bootleg CD's that they sell as well? I just bought the CD for the Lexington show (my first PJ concert-great show!) from PJ's website, and I would like to trade with other fans, if it is approved by the band. Thank you for your help.
Old 05-10-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ya, they don't care at all. Period.
Old 05-10-03, 01:04 PM

Thanks! This is great news. Do you know of a website where people hook-up for trades? I'm dying to hear the last show of the first leg (they played something like 36 songs!).
Old 05-10-03, 02:04 PM
Retired

Yep, they don't care at all as long as people don't sell them.

That's why they put out "bootlegs" of every show on their last tour on their own and are doing the same this time. They hate to see people getting ripped off paying $20-30 for often crappy sounding bootlegs.
Old 05-10-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

if you have bittorrent go here

www.sidewalkcrusaders.com/torrent

also www.theskyiscrape.com has weekly concerts from years back that they "remaster". They sound really good. This weeks concert is from the infamous shoe throwing show in Indio in 1993. Check it out.
Old 05-10-03, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Yep, they don't care at all as long as people don't sell them.

That's why they put out "bootlegs" of every show on their last tour on their own and are doing the same this time. They hate to see people getting ripped off paying $20-30 for often crappy sounding bootlegs.
And equally importantly, they don't want fans to have to spend a ton of money to get a bunch of the recordings. So they encourae people buying some CDs and trading with others.
Old 05-10-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got St. Louis and Eddie Vedder sounds better than I've heard
him in a long time.

I'd also like Denver (tour opener), Uniondale, N.Y. (another Bushleaguer controversy) and the first leg finale in
State College, Pa. (the 3-disc set).

That bitorrent thing is ok but I'd be willing to burn em and mail em.
Old 05-10-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have the Oklahoma City show if anyone is interested.

I wouldn't mind trading a copy of it for a copy of another show.
Old 05-11-03, 06:16 PM

I have 20 CD's from the 2000 tour. For the current tour I only have Perth, Australia (Feb. 23, 2003) and I just ordered the State College, Pa concert.

If I had the money I would buy them all!

I really want the Buffalo CD because I want PJ's cover of The Police's "Driven to Tears."

If anyone wants my Australia CD I'll burn you a copy or the State College, Pa (when it arrives).
Old 05-11-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts
If you've got Direct Connect ++ installed, c'mon over to pj23.dynip.com - we've left the light on for you!
Old 05-11-03, 10:23 PM

Like I said in the original post, I have the Lexington '03 show. The band was fantastic (Ed did screw up once or twice near the end, but he had been drinking a long time- hey it was Kentucky, gotta have some bourbon!), and I've never seen a more enthusiastic crowd at a concert. The vibe was excellent. Check out the setlist, and if anyone is interested, email me with what you have.

This is going to be a lot of fun!

Also, thanks Pillowhead for the links. I'm trying it right now.

Last edited by RalphWiggum; 05-11-03 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-16-03, 08:02 AM

D'oh!

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/Pea.../rumorpit.html

Q: The band was OK with trading official boots from the 2000 tour. What's their position on this for the 2003 tour boots?
A: By trade, do you mean burning copies?

Q: Does PJ allow free trading of their official bootlegs?
A: Free trading? Not while they're for sale, thank you.

Q: How about trading the MP3 links?
A: No, thanks.
Old 05-16-03, 10:37 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by Chopper
D'oh!

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/Pea.../rumorpit.html

Q: The band was OK with trading official boots from the 2000 tour. What's their position on this for the 2003 tour boots?
A: By trade, do you mean burning copies?

Q: Does PJ allow free trading of their official bootlegs?
A: Free trading? Not while they're for sale, thank you.

Q: How about trading the MP3 links?
A: No, thanks.
So in 2003 they expect "trading" to mean the physical face-to-face swap between you and your buddies? That's so 80s.

Wonder if this has anything to do with it:

Q: Have Pearl Jam left their record company yet?
A: Yes.
Old 05-16-03, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by AndyCapps
So in 2003 they expect "trading" to mean the physical face-to-face swap between you and your buddies? That's so 80s.

Wonder if this has anything to do with it:

Q: Have Pearl Jam left their record company yet?
A: Yes.
On the other hand, the same story said that the first US leg would no longer be for sale after May 27th, so it seems like it's open season on free trade then.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.