Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

STP greatest hits to include bonus DVD

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

STP greatest hits to include bonus DVD

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got spec edition at BB for $11.99. Stupid cashier caught the $24.99 price and was like, "That can't be right. This is supposed to be $11.99". I had assumed the reg. price was $24.99 and the price would be $16.99-$17.99 or so. I didn't feel like correcting him. I spend enough cash at BB.
Old 11-11-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Guys, don't forget, Target does rainchecks. I got one and it's good until 12/27. I can wait, I have a ton to watch, but I definitely want this. STP is a great live band.
Old 11-11-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,192 Likes on 729 Posts
So...for those of you that now have the special edition with the dvd...how is it? Was it worth it?

A friend told me that there was a sticker on the special edition that described the dvd as a mix of live stuff & normal videos???

Everything in order on the disc? Are they are videos or a mix of live stuff? Any interviews or special stuff? How is the sound & pixture quality?
Old 11-12-03, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I may pick this up. Don't know if I will pay the extra money for the DVD though. I would watch it once and never again. Just doesn't seem worth it.

(And what's with no "Dead & Bloated"?)
Old 11-12-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts
The DVD is very spotty as far as quality goes. The videos are fine, but the live stuff is average to downright horrible. It has a "bootleg" section which is almost unwatchable the quality is so bad. Even the regular live performances have less than acceptable sound quality. I wish I had known this going in. I would not have bought it.
Old 11-12-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by brianluvdvd
Everything in order on the disc? Are they are videos or a mix of live stuff? Any interviews or special stuff? How is the sound & pixture quality?
There are 3 sections: live, videos, and bootlegs

There are about 17 live performances

About 14 videos

The bootlegs, about 14 or so, are home video camera shots of live songs, taken by audience members -- just like a bootleg. Coolest one here IMO is Sweet Emotion with Steven Tyler & Joe Perry
Old 11-12-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, the DVD sounds great in 5.1
Old 11-12-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,192 Likes on 729 Posts
Originally posted by GuessWho
There are 3 sections: live, videos, and bootlegs

There are about 17 live performances

About 14 videos

The bootlegs, about 14 or so, are home video camera shots of live songs, taken by audience members -- just like a bootleg. Coolest one here IMO is Sweet Emotion with Steven Tyler & Joe Perry
Jeez, that's a lot of stuff.

Are all of these complete performances of a song & not just snippets of a song?
Old 11-12-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not snippets -- hence the 3 hour runtime as it was promoted
Old 11-12-03, 06:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The DVD is awesome!

Most of the bootleg stuff is comprised of full songs. I think maybe 2 offer only half of the song.
Old 11-12-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 935 Likes on 572 Posts
Picked this up yesterday (at Target - as did most others) but haven't had a chance to check it out yet, as the new offerings from Pearl Jam are dominating most of my free time...
Old 11-13-03, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

looks like a good pkg to me.
Old 11-14-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

another huge thumbsup on this dvd! they really did a great job on it!
Old 11-16-03, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 223 Likes on 194 Posts
Watched the DVD today. This DVD is Sweet! It's 3 Hours exactly as Advertised [That's a first].

ALL IN ORDER:

LIVE- 1 Hour 5 minutes
All Live are Good to Great Quality, except the First Three.

[SHIT Video Quality, some Bootleg songs look better than this]:
"Army Ants"
"Interstate Love Song"
"Silver Gun Superman"

"Crackerman"
"Plush"

[These are Best Video Quality. Saw this complete concert on PPV last year]:
"Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart"
"Hollywood Bitch"
"Big Empty"
"Long Way Home"
"Down"

"Meat Plow"
"Tumble in the Rough"
"Sex & Violence"

[MTV UNPLUGGED]
"Wicked Garden"

[HEADBANGER's BALL]
"Plush"

"Atlanta"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BOOTLEG -52 minutes

"Where the River Goes"
"Dead & Bloated"
"Crackerman" (Snippet) [In KISS makeup]
"Pop's Love Suicide" (Snippet)
"Sweet Emotion" (THIS IS COOL!)
"Big Bang Baby"
"Pretty Penny"
"Lounge Fly"
"Wonderful"
"Creep"
"Too Cool Queenie" (From UNRELEASED DVD... making of SHANGRI LA-DEE-DA album)
"Wichita Lineman" (w/ Glen Campbell singing)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

VIDEOS- 58 minutes

"Sex Type Thing"
"Plush"
"Wicked Garden"
"Creep"
"Vasoline"
"Interstate Love Song"
"Big Bang Baby" (w/ 2 minute practice intro. First time seeing this version)
"Trippin' on a Hole in a Paper Heart"
"Lady Picture Show"
"Down"
"Sour Girl"
"Days of the Week"
"Hello, It's Late"
"Sex Type Thing" (Live 1992-2002)

PICTURES- 5 Minutes

"Bi-Polar Bear

It was well worth the $16.99 price, as stated above. I was about to say that this DVD is perfect & complete, but... Wasn't there a Video for "BIG EMPTY"? I'm pretty sure that there was. It's not here. Also I remembered this at the last moment, the video for "NO WAY OUT" is not here, what's up with that. Other than this, I see this as Buying the DVD [for $14.99] and 2 songs that I don't have [for a buck each as in LEGAL Download] and the rest of the songs are a Bonus [& Remasterd!]

Last edited by gerrythedon; 11-16-03 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-16-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,860 Likes on 1,960 Posts
I don't remember a video for "Big Empty." I do remember MTV putting the song into rotation from their "MTV Unplugged" set, though.
Old 11-17-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I don't remember a video for "Big Empty." I do remember MTV putting the song into rotation from their "MTV Unplugged" set, though.
Thats correct. It's crap that the 'No Way Out' video isn't on there though.
Old 11-17-03, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank You Notes: the DeLeo brothers tell the tales behind some of their greatest hits.

"Plush"
Core (Atlantic, 1992)

ROBERT: This song reminds me of being in the studio; it was the first song I wrote that made me feel like the songs I really enjoyed listening to.

DEAN: That song brings me back to 1990: being in a rehearsal room in North Hollywood. It was a fresh and new experience for us. We lived together because we didn't have homes. We had a kitchenette, and the four of us cooked on a single burner. But it was a beautiful time. The band was young and excited about what we were going to encounter.

"Sex Type Thing"
Core (Atlantic, 1992)

ROBERT: When I hear this, I think of being in the studio and listening to basic tracks. I remember going, "Shit, man, we have something going on here."

DEAN: This song reminds me of "In The Light" by Zeppelin. I was in my driveway and heard that riff, so I went inside and came up with this, all the time totally prompted by "In The Light."

"Vasoline"
Purple (Atlantic, 1994)

ROBERT: This is one of the only songs that I really like thinking about the video. A lot of videos ruin songs, but this was one of my favorites. Our video director, Kevin Kerslake, had a great time with this, as did we. That little wah thing you hear in the intro is me putting my bass through a wah. I also remember recording the drums with a couple of mics in a vocal booth.

DEAN: "Vasoline" was actually an instrumental we used to open with when we were a band called Mighty Joe Young. So that song reminds me of different clubs we played in around L.A.

"Interstate Love Song"
Purple (Atlantic, 1994)

ROBERT: I suppose I could say that I think this is one of the best things I've ever written. It started out as a bossa-nova song, believe it or not. I like pulling from different areas when I'm writing. It keeps everything fresh. The chord structure here is an Antonio Carlos Jobim thing.

DEAN: Well, the song speaks for itself. When you sit there with nothing but an acoustic guitar and a voice, you can really see the genius behind the song. We were in Atlanta touring Core, and Robert was playing around with the chordings and the melody, whistling the melody in a hotel room while he was playing. I was stunned by how beautiful it worked together. I had a great feeling about that song immediately.

"Lady Picture Show"
Tiny Music... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop (Atlantic, 1996)

ROBERT: I remember our recording technique on that record. We made that record out in Santa Barbara at a big, beautiful house. There was a big cedar closet, like an attic, and we put Eric in the attic to record the drums.

DEAN: I'm reminded of the Rickenbacker 12-string I played on this song. I wish we had mixed it more like "Plush"; the guitar is vaguely hard right on the verse. I wish I had mixed it differently.

"Big Bang Baby"
Tiny Music... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop (Atlantic, 1996)

ROBERT: On this song we recorded drums outside on the lawn. We practised so many different recording techniques at the house in Santa Barbara. Because we lived together, it was so much more creative, a real nice vibe.

DEAN: The house in Santa Barbara was amazing. I liked the communal living thing - eating together, laughing together. I dig that vibe, and that's what we had going on there. I remember Robert playing that riff in the middle section. Most of the time we had our mouths shut lyrically and let Scott run with the lyrics and melody. It's always nice to get it back with a larger return than you expect. This time Scott came back with something really touching. To have your music embellished upon like that, there's no questions asked. He did a beautiful job, just beautiful. This song is the heartbeat of the record for me.

"Down"
No.4 (Atlantic, 1999)

ROBERT: We had some songs that we wanted to rock to kinda get the band going again after a lay-off. I've always been the motivator for that. I'll bring a song into pre-pro, show everyone the riff and beat, and turn it up to 10. That's what we were going for here.

DEAN: We went into pre-pro for No.4. It was the first song we worked on day one for the album. And we worked on "Sour Girl" the same day,

"Sour Girl"
No.4 (Atlantic, 1999)

ROBERT: Dean wrote this one, wrote the bass line, too. It turned into a cool McCartney thing along with those beautiful chords Dean was playing. Probably one of the coolest songs on the record. String section, really nice playing.

DEAN: I wrote that piece in my garage, I was really moved by the chordings on this. I had a good feeling that it would be something really special. I had a melody in mind but didn't bring it to the table to show Scott. Robert and Scott were talking about relationships and previous marriages, and it really lit off a spark in Scott's mind and he started writing and came up with the lyrical content right there. As a guitar player, you try to come up with a melody, but it's kind of guitar-centric. But a singer looks at a song differently. It's usually nit a hard win: Scott would always beat whatever I had. He's a really talented guy, man.

"Days Of The Week"
Shangri-LA DEE DA (Atlantic, 2001)

ROBERT: That was one of the first songs Dean presented as his for this album. I approached it bass-wise like an old Joe Jackson song. I dig those old songs, the tine and movement of the bass. It was that and a little Chris Squire kind of thing.

DEAN: I stole this directly from "Indian Summer," a song written by Joe Walsh. I ripped it off blind. After I wrote that song, I received a phone call from Sheryl Crow saying she wanted to get together, so I kind of wrote this one for her. But when Scott heard it, he wanted to keep it for ourselves.

"All In The Suit That You Wear"
(Previously Unreleased)

ROBERT: Recorded back in 2000 (should be May 2002, -Rik). We did it for the soundtrack for Spider-Man, but we didn't get it as a lead track, so we kept it for ourselves. There are quite a few songs we never released over the years. We never exploited the publishing of STP. We didn't want to sell out. Led Zeppelin always had a mystique. I highly respect that. So we turned everything down for publishing to maintain a mystique of our own.

DEAN: We had heard that the Spider-Man film wanted a track, so we wrote this in the studio. Robert had the verse riff; I had the chorus. We thought it would be kind of a cool title for Spider-man, being about a "suit" and everything. We put that song together - wrote it, cut it - in a day and a half.

before [what is posted above] there is a Great article & interview w/ STP on "THE END" [click on link above]
Old 11-20-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[I've mean't to mention this since release day]

If case anyone doesn't know, If you push UP on VIDEOS, U'll get the PLAY ALL option.
Old 12-31-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do any of you that have the cd/dvd have a scanner??? (email me)