Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rock bands covering hip hop and r & b (and vice versa)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rock bands covering hip hop and r & b (and vice versa)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
That is why in my original post I said "rape and abuse" rock songs. They take what they think sounds cool, write some new lyrics and BAMM! Instant hit courtesy of TRL.

Regardless to your oppinion of what they did to those songs, they are not covers, which is what I was asking about when I created this thread.
Old 09-25-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Afghan Whigs- Creep (TLC)
Excellent, but that doesn't even get near the tip of the 'Whigs and Dulli's fascination with R&B covers: Al Green, the Supremes, Freda Payne, Dallas Frazier, Marvin Gaye just a few they have covered over the years....only the Afghan Whigs.
Old 09-25-03, 06:40 PM

Phish has covered Sabotage by the Beastie Boys and Get Jiggy With It by Will Smith.
Old 09-26-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Aphex Twin
Those examples aren't covers at all. They may sample some songs, but are not covers.
Exactly-if you were to include songs that sample so heavily from other songs they sound just like the originals, you'd have to include a bunch of Puff/P. Daddy/Diddy songs, Wyclef Jean's homage to "Stayin' Alive," and countless others. That Eminem song in the first post is also in this category.

I think it comes down to whether the same lyrics are used. The first one I thought of was Warren G.'s "I Shot the Sheriff," but that's not a cover because the lyrics are so different.
Old 09-26-03, 10:48 PM

...anyway, getting back to the actual subject of covers, Everlast did a surprisingly good cover of the already classic Shook Ones, by Mobb Deep.

I'm pretty sure this was just one of many songs on a rock-covering-rap CD, but i dont have the cd or even know what it's called, I only know this one song...
Old 09-28-03, 09:50 AM

Barenaked Ladies covered Beastie Boys' "Shake Your Rump" and Public Enemy's "Fight the Power."

Rage Against the Machine covered NWA's "F# tha Police."

Machine Head covered Ice-T's "Colors."