Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rufus Wainwright's New Record

Old 09-22-03, 03:04 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
F For Fake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Louisville, KY - Home of Ali and HST!
Posts: 845
Rufus Wainwright's New Record

I'm very excited about this record, which is coming out tomorrow. Rufus has been one of the only things to happen in original music in the last 5 or 6 years that's caught my attention. I think his stuff is just gorgeous. Can't wait to get this! (AND the new Elvis Costello record!)

So has anyone heard any tracks off of it yet? I don't really listen to the radio or download from the internet or anything, so I'm typically pretty clueless about records until I buy them. I'm curious to see if he's made any big changes in his sound.
F For Fake is offline  
Old 09-22-03, 04:25 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Western NY
Posts: 2,196
Triple F- I don't have any info on this disc, but I might consider picking up. What tunes (besides "Halelluhah") would you recommend? Its the only song off of his first three albums that I've heard.
Tommy_Harn is offline  
Old 09-22-03, 04:42 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
F For Fake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Louisville, KY - Home of Ali and HST!
Posts: 845
Tommy -

His two previous albums are both greath through and through! His voice may be something of an acquired taste (and to my dismay, it seemed as though he softened the nasal edge a bit on his second album) but I really do like it, and I think he writes marvelous songs.

I love both albums from the first to last track, but my personal favorites include:

From his self titled first album:
"In My Arms" - has a great harmony part by his sister.
"April Fools" - this was the first single, I believe, and it's a very catchy pop blast.
"Sally Ann" - just a lazy, lovely song.

From "Poses"-
"Grey Gardens" is my favorite track
I also really love the title track. It's a bit slow and somber, but it has a very sweet melody.
He also does a killer version of his dad's "One Man Guy".

As you pointed out, his cover of Cohen's "Hallelujah" is good, although I believe it's only available on the Shrek soundtrack. He also has a track on the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, and recorded a version of "Across the Universe" which appeared as a bonus track on some version of "Poses", and somewhere else, although I'm not certain where. On a film soundtrack, I'd assume.
F For Fake is offline  
Old 09-22-03, 06:44 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA
Posts: 2,641
Originally posted by F For Fake


I love both albums from the first to last track, but my personal favorites include:

From his self titled first album:
"In My Arms" - has a great harmony part by his sister.
"April Fools" - this was the first single, I believe, and it's a very catchy pop blast.
"Sally Ann" - just a lazy, lovely song.
I'd also add 'Beauty Mark" and "Matinee Idol"


As you pointed out, his cover of Cohen's "Hallelujah" is good, although I believe it's only available on the Shrek soundtrack. He also has a track on the Moulin Rouge soundtrack, and recorded a version of "Across the Universe" which appeared as a bonus track on some version of "Poses", and somewhere else, although I'm not certain where. On a film soundtrack, I'd assume.
"Across The Universe" is on the soundtrack for "I Am Sam", a pretty good soundtrack for such an awful movie.

I'll probably pick this one up tomorrow after work. I'll have to see how much money I've got first. If I can only get one new album tomorrow, it's gotta be the new Elvis Costello.

jim
Gamblor187 is offline  
Old 09-23-03, 03:23 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
F For Fake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Louisville, KY - Home of Ali and HST!
Posts: 845
Originally posted by Gamblor187
If I can only get one new album tomorrow, it's gotta be the new Elvis Costello.

jim
Yep, I feel the same way. I actually saved some cash because I knew both were coming today. I also need to pick up the new Bowie record. This is pretty odd for me, I almost never buy new records. It's exciting to be looking forward to a new release for a change. I think the last new album I bought was the last Radiohead record.
F For Fake is offline  
Old 09-23-03, 05:00 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Saint Clair Shores, MI, USA
Posts: 2,641
Originally posted by F For Fake
Yep, I feel the same way. I actually saved some cash because I knew both were coming today. I also need to pick up the new Bowie record. This is pretty odd for me, I almost never buy new records. It's exciting to be looking forward to a new release for a change. I think the last new album I bought was the last Radiohead record.
Same here. I still haven't picked up the latest Radiohead. The last thing I picked up was the new Clem Snide.

So today was a very big music day for me. The new Elvis, the new Rufus Wainwright, and "A Mighty Wind" on DVD. I'm sure that I'm going to spend the next week or so obsessing over "North", but I'll have to take a break from it to give "Want One" a few spins.

jim
Gamblor187 is offline  
Old 09-24-03, 09:00 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
F For Fake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Louisville, KY - Home of Ali and HST!
Posts: 845
Originally posted by Gamblor187
Same here. I still haven't picked up the latest Radiohead. The last thing I picked up was the new Clem Snide.

So today was a very big music day for me. The new Elvis, the new Rufus Wainwright, and "A Mighty Wind" on DVD. I'm sure that I'm going to spend the next week or so obsessing over "North", but I'll have to take a break from it to give "Want One" a few spins.

jim
Yeah, big day for me as well. Went ahead and picked up "North" LE, "Want One", and Bowie's "Reality" LE. Not bad prices at bb. 14.99, 13.99 and 15.99 respectively.

So far I've made one complete trip through "North", and I really like it. At first I thought it was going to be an entire album of melancholy jazz-vocal dirges...not that I'd mind...but I was pleasantly surprised by the emotional cycle that the album travels through. A very personal and touching album.

After finishing that I started on "Want One". Only three songs into it, but I'm happy so far. The first two tracks are solid and the third track is GORGEOUS. Can't wait to listen to the rest of it.

(I only get a chance to listen to cd's in the car, so it's slow going through the new stuff)
F For Fake is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.