Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Another rap musician murdered - what's with these guys?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-05-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Rapper Gunned Down In Queens; Police Search For Suspects

SEPTEMBER 05TH, 2003

A rapper associated with a controversial record label was murdered in Queens late Thursday night, and police are now looking into whether the murder was connected to a war with a rival record company.

Police said 26-year-old D.O. Cannon, whose real name is Gerard Fields, was shot at 177th Street and 104th Avenue shortly before midnight.

Investigators said Fields was shot three times, twice in the chest and once in the leg. He was rushed to Mary Immaculate Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Fields leaves behind a 10-month-old son.

It's devastating, I'm telling you, said Mary Fields, the rapper's grandmother. I dont know if Im going to get through it or not, but Im going to try. With the help of God, Ill make it. But its really hard.

Fields was part of the Murder Inc. label which is under investigation by the federal government for alleged money laundering.

Police are also looking into the possibility that Fields' murder is a result of a rap war between his label and Shady Records.

Shady Records is owned by Eminem and represents rapper Fifty Cent.

You don't read about jazz musicians or country singers etc. killing each other - so what gives with these guys?
Old 09-05-03, 03:10 PM
Banned

They are gangsta!
Old 09-05-03, 03:45 PM
Banned

I can tell you exactly what is with them - money does not civilize an animal.

A rapper can become wealthy, but if they came from the streets (no, not all do), they'll still have that street mentality.

Look at that loser 50 Cent. He seems to think it's funny that he and his child have to wear bullet-proof vests when they go out because of rival drug dealers. He seems to be proud of the fact that he's been shot in the face.

Look at Puffy, arguably one of the most successful "rappers." When he was mad at an exec for leaving him in a video that he asked to be removed from, what was his reaction? He marched into the guys office with a goon squad and beat him savagely.

Most rappers are animals, and money doesn't change that.
Old 09-05-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Animals" is one word you could use to describe them. The one I use is "idiots."
Old 09-05-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're idiots.

Who cares anyway, it's just darwin cleansing the gene pool so my kids won't have to deal with their kids hehe.
Old 09-05-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Small genitalia.

Just a hunch.
Old 09-05-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jazz musicians killing each other...
Old 09-06-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by evenflow
They are gangsta!
tru dat. Fo life!

Animals is the best comparison yet.
Old 09-06-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JestersTear
Look at Puffy, arguably one of the most successful "rappers." When he was mad at an exec for leaving him in a video that he asked to be removed from, what was his reaction? He marched into the guys office with a goon squad and beat him savagely.
P. Diddy didn't come from the streets he actually lived in an upper class New York neighborhood growing up. But I do agree with your point that "you can take the thug out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the thug."
Old 09-06-03, 03:01 PM

It's really too bad that this happened I feel really sorry for that 10 month old child he left behind I guess innocent children end up the biggest losers in the end.
Old 09-06-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

How about all those rock stars dying from drug overdoses? Stupid rockers don't know how to control themselves. What a bunch of talentless morons.
Old 09-06-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It probably sounds stupid, but as much as I hate hard drug use and the like, I have more sympathy for a junkie than I do for a murderer. At least junkies are losing their battle to an addiction, whereas these "gangstas" are just killing people for the hell of it.
Old 09-07-03, 01:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by The Bus
How about all those rock stars dying from drug overdoses? Stupid rockers don't know how to control themselves. What a bunch of talentless morons.
Ah, the justification defense, the last line of someone that knows that they have nothing intelligent to add.

Sorry, but "they do something wrong, so it's ok for others to do something wrong" didn't work on the gradeschool playground, and it doesn't work when you're an adult.
Old 09-07-03, 04:08 AM
Banned

Try telling Jesse Jackson that money can't civilize.
He's know for saying that the blacks in prison should be in collage because it's cheaper to send them there.
Old 09-07-03, 08:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by wm lopez
Try telling Jesse Jackson that money can't civilize.
He's know for saying that the blacks in prison should be in collage because it's cheaper to send them there.
Jesse's known for saying anything that will get money in his pockets.

He's a shining example of someone having money, but is still just a typical street thug.

The only difference is that instead of violence, Jesse uses shake-down tactics.
Old 09-07-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can take the rapper out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the rapper.

Fo shizzle mah dead nizzle.

NEEEEEXT!
Old 09-07-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, the justification defense, the last line of someone that knows that they have nothing intelligent to add.

Sorry, but "they do something wrong, so it's ok for others to do something wrong" didn't work on the gradeschool playground, and it doesn't work when you're an adult.
Is it a justification? I don't see him qualifying that anywhere, nor do I see that "a does it, so it is okay for b to do it, as well" analogy anywhere outside of yr post. Project much?
Old 09-07-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not defending idiots who murder other people. I'm not defending idiots who kill themselves from heroin overdoses. And there was no need to add anything intelligent to a conversation that wasn't intelligent to begin with.
Old 09-07-03, 10:05 PM

These guys are idiots & i think everyone of them should should have a bullet in them.
I remember in the 80's when bands like Judas Priest & Ozzy Osbourne were getting drug in & out of court because of contriversial lyrics,What these ignorent ass rappers are singing about is a 1,000 times worse than any metal bands lyrics.
Kids see this crap on MTV and think its cool so they start packing pistols & getting high as kites,all this comes from a race of people who cry that they are getting s#*t on by society ( when in reality they're getting every oppurtunity in the world handed to them on a silver platter) & then when they get a hand in the cookie jar they misuse their money & fame & start killing one another off.
I SAY LET THEM !!!!!!
Old 09-07-03, 10:36 PM
Suspended

wow
Old 09-07-03, 11:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jk4w
These guys are idiots & i think everyone of them should should have a bullet in them.
I remember in the 80's when bands like Judas Priest & Ozzy Osbourne were getting drug in & out of court because of contriversial lyrics,What these ignorent ass rappers are singing about is a 1,000 times worse than any metal bands lyrics.
Kids see this crap on MTV and think its cool so they start packing pistols & getting high as kites,all this comes from a race of people who cry that they are getting s#*t on by society ( when in reality they're getting every oppurtunity in the world handed to them on a silver platter) & then when they get a hand in the cookie jar they misuse their money & fame & start killing one another off.
I SAY LET THEM !!!!!!
Just calm down, alright?
Old 09-08-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jk4w
I SAY LET THEM !!!!!!
What an idiotic thing to say you seriously need help. WTF does race have to do with rappers because there are PLENTY of people of that race who DO NOT CONDONE crap like this. WE ALL DON'T RAP and PLAY BASKETBALL!!
Old 09-08-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Glad to see the KKK listserv has found its home at DVD Talk.

Lemme ask the forum members this: What percentage of rock and country stars come from a demographic with already high fatality rates? What percentage of rock and country stars come from areas akin to third world countries? What percentage of rock and country stars believe they only have three avenues to escape poverty: music, sports and drugs?

And why is the story of DO Cannon about the death or a rapper, and not the senseless death of another young black man in New York? Because the rap angle sells. I see this happen all the time -- some two-bit hood who thought he could rhyme is involved in some altercation, and suddenly the press paints him as a rap star after the fact. It's prophecy fulfilling prophecy. But then again it's not worth talking about, is it? They're just animals who deserve to be shot anyway, right guys?
Old 09-08-03, 11:06 AM

Please forgive me for what I said.
I should have said a group of people ( meaning the Hip Hop artists who do promote gun & drug use in their lyrics) as opposed to a race of people.

Last edited by jk4w; 09-08-03 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-08-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Social Darwinism in action.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.