Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rolling Stone magazine's Top 100 Guitarists of all time list

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rolling Stone magazine's Top 100 Guitarists of all time list

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
Where's Alex Lifeson of RUSH??? A man who always makes top guitarist lists.
I showed my brother-in-law the list and besides a few that I mentioned above, that was the first name he said - he couldn't believe it either.
Old 08-28-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
I can respect a guitar player that may not be as talented but comes up with his own sound, like Morello and Edge, but someone of these guys have little originality or talent.

Also, I think Hetfield has more to do with the Metallica sound than Hammett. Hammett is just a bunch of metal solos. Very well done, but still nothing that many other metal guitarists do. Hetfield's rhythm riffs make Metallica for me.

Kirk never writes them either, so in essence, James can probably play everything kirk is being given credit for.

I just got this issue this morning and I knew of course Hendrix would be 1 (love the guy but he is terribly overrated.) There are some guitarists I love on there (Kim Thayil) but don't really deserve to be on there at all. I can't believe Jack white even made it on. He does nothing new or spectacular.

It's an insult to put Gilmour and Iommi so high on the list, while lil punks like Jack White make it into the top 20. Ridiculous, I think that they do this just to get people riled up and don't even care about the actual list itself.

I think Mike McCready and Stone Gossard, and Jerry Cantrell should have made the list before Kim and Kurt Cobain though. They all have an enormous amount of talent, much more than those 2 combined.

Last edited by Ergyu; 08-28-03 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-28-03, 06:51 PM

What the hell is kurt cobain doing on that list?. Not saying the man wasn't talented but he certainly isn't one of the best guitarists of all time.
Old 08-28-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no Zakk Wylde on the list either, only a guitar mag could do a credible top 100 list anyway.

and Yngwie doesn't belong on the list, thats one thing I agree with em on.

Last edited by demonio; 08-28-03 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-28-03, 07:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Where's Joe Satriani?
Old 08-28-03, 07:47 PM

Eddie Van Halen and David Gilmour should be in the top 10.
Old 08-28-03, 09:43 PM

What about Alvin Lee???? John Fogerty at #40?
Please; no wonder RS is the new 16 Magazine!

Last edited by wingfan; 08-28-03 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-28-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Ergyu
Jerry Cantrell
That's who I forgot earlier! He definitely deserves to be on that list much more so than several of those posers.
Old 08-28-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Stevie Ray Vaughan is #1 despite what any douchebag, Tiger Beat wannabe magazine has to say about it.
Old 08-29-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
How is Bob Mould not on this list?
Old 08-29-03, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really doubt Cobain could have pulled off any part of La Villa Strangiato, he should not even be on the list.
Old 08-29-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Rolling Stone magazine's Top 100 Guitarists of all time list

Originally posted by palebluedot

How do these guitar hacks make it on the list and Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, the list goes...on don't even make the list?
Thurston and Lee are "hacks", huh? I guess inventing new tunings, chord structures, playing methods and recording techniques daily that have influenced entire generations of guitarists isn't good enough.
Old 08-29-03, 07:44 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Joeboo835
How is Bob Mould not on this list?
Evidently his "aging blues-rock guitar player" credentials are a little weak.

I think we can all agree that this is a pathetic list. The fact there are no jazz players (except McGlaughlin) on the list at all negates it completely. If they wanted to make a list of only rock players, then fine, but why add blues guitarists like BB King? I for one find blues guitar playing to be tedious and repetitive anyway, so I would have only includedd Hubert Sumlin. Cliff Gallup should have been higher up the list, Chet Atkins and John Lennon should have both been on the list. The exclusion of Johnny Marr and John Squire is preposterous, and the top 10 is largely a joke. Hendrix and Clapton might have been impressive circa 1970, but they are two very overrated guitarists.

OTOH, I'm really glad to see Tom Verlaine on the list. he's my favorite rock player ever.
Old 08-29-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
Stevie Ray Vaughan is #1 despite what any douchebag, Tiger Beat wannabe magazine has to say about it.
Old 08-29-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Re: Rolling Stone magazine's Top 100 Guitarists of all time list

Originally posted by Hiro11
Thurston and Lee are "hacks", huh? I guess inventing new tunings, chord structures, playing methods and recording techniques daily that have influenced entire generations of guitarists isn't good enough.
I agree, but I think credit should be given where it's due. You can trace Ranaldo and Moore back to Glenn Branca (gave them their start, really) and trace Branca back to Rhys Chatham. Still, I think that Ranaldo and Moore's place on the list is perfectly legitimate. They are doing far more interesting things with their axes than most on or off that list.

Kevin Shields should be higher, as well as Tom Verlaine. As wendersfan said, Johnny Marr's absence is criminal.
Old 08-29-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 579 Likes on 418 Posts
Best guitarist, hands down, that I have ever seen or heard is Steve Morse. The guy was Guitar Mag's #1 for a run of years, and he's not even on the list?
Old 08-29-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Where's Django Reinhardt? Or the number two guitar player in the world, Emmet Ray?
Old 08-29-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kurt cobain ???????????????
Old 08-29-03, 06:39 PM

Jerry Cantrell should not only be on that list, he should be in the top 10 or 20. He is an amazing guitar player, Rolling Stone is so out of it it's not funny.
Old 08-30-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
50 Pete Townshend

No love for Mike McCready either
I thought that myself about Mike McCready.

When I saw Pearl Jam when they came here to town, I was blown away by his solos and playing. Yow don't realize how good he is until you see them live. The albums don't do him justice.
Old 08-30-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i can't believe that slash is not on the list...
Old 08-30-03, 04:00 PM

My love filled heart grows sad, David Gilmour can [even today] blow all of these guitarists out of the shining blue water....
Old 08-30-03, 05:16 PM
Banned

Stevie Ray is #1. End of story. And if we're talking about guitar duos, Strummer/Jones need to be on there somewhere.
Old 08-30-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I personally got a kick out of seeing Stephen Stills rated so far ahead of Neil Young. This is long overdue when it comes to their
guitar ability both acoustic and electric.
Old 08-30-03, 10:16 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by nazz
I personally got a kick out of seeing Stephen Stills rated so far ahead of Neil Young. This is long overdue when it comes to their
guitar ability both acoustic and electric.
The issue with Stills and Young is of course that, while Stills is technically a much more accomplished player, there is little about his playing that is distinguishable. Young on the other hand, while technically not that great a player, has forged a very distinctive and unique style, which many people including myself find very appealing. The same could be said for Young's singing, also.

Actually, this exemplifies why polls and lists like this are ridiculous. Numerous people have chimed in with examples of guitar players they feel should be on the list, or higher up on the list if they already appear. Jerry Cantrell, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eddie van Halen, or whomever. The problem with most of these guys is that while they may be very talented players, to the casual listener there's little to differentiate each of them from scores of other guitarists working in the same genre. To their dedicated fans they may be unique, but that is a uniqueness borne of dedication and fanaticism. On the other hand there are guys like Thurston Moore/Lee Ranaldo, Dave Asheton, The Edge, etc., who, while perhaps not technically so gifted, were extremely influential, unique, and highly identifiable players. The problem is what's more important - virtuosity or ingenuity? Clearly some people value virtuosity more highly. They advocate players like Lifeson, van Halen, Satriani, and so on. Personally I couldn't care less about it. I'd much rather listen to a guy like The Edge, who, if other people sound like him at all, it's because they are deliberately copying his style, not because he's working in the same style as thousands of guys before him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.