Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Rolling Stone has sunk to an all-time low

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Rolling Stone has sunk to an all-time low

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Very lame.. and bigjim, if you post them as a babe(s) of the weak.. you are one sick sick man.
So the 18 and 19 year olds in Playboy are okay to drool over, but at 17 you're a pedo? That's just silly.
Old 08-20-03, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got RS for over 25 years, until Al Bore was on the cover a few years ago, I e-mailed and cancelled. The last few years I had it, reminded me of an overdone 16 magazine from the 60's.
No wonder the yearly subscription price can be had at magazine sites for $3.95 a year! What a shame.
Old 08-20-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama
So the 18 and 19 year olds in Playboy are okay to drool over, but at 17 you're a pedo? That's just silly.
I always did find it a bit silly.
Old 08-20-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Aghama

Most people didn't watch an 18 or 19 year old Playboy model grow up literally in front of their eyes. It's kind of like lusting after a niece. I know, probably not the best comparison. But it just seems a little weird.

About the disturbing picture from their RS spread that someone posted above.....kind of looks like something from a Marilyn Manson video.

And regarding Q being so expensive. Yes, it's outrageous. However, it's the only magazine that takes me several days to read. I enjoy every single article and review.
Old 08-21-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by wingfan
I got RS for over 25 years, until Al Bore was on the cover a few years ago, I e-mailed and cancelled. The last few years I had it, reminded me of an overdone 16 magazine from the 60's.
No wonder the yearly subscription price can be had at magazine sites for $3.95 a year! What a shame.
It took Al Gore for you to cancel it? You're subscribing to a left wing magazine and your outraged by Al Gore being on the cover? Next thing you're going to cancel Mother Jones for having Ralph Nader on the cover.
Old 08-21-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Daytripper
Most people didn't watch an 18 or 19 year old Playboy model grow up literally in front of their eyes. It's kind of like lusting after a niece. I know, probably not the best comparison. But it just seems a little weird.

I think it comes down to that. Growing up with these kids in your (tv) life I personally can't see them for anything other then those to babies from Full house. Weird indeed. not to mention this whole hype for these two started when they were like 14-15 so it's still odd to think folks were lusting over them for a good while now.
Old 08-21-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it comes down to that. Growing up with these kids in your (tv) life I personally can't see them for anything other then those to babies from Full house. Weird indeed. not to mention this whole hype for these two started when they were like 14-15 so it's still odd to think folks were lusting over them for a good while now.
Hmm, aren't you ok with Drew Barrymore?
Old 08-21-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Alyoshka
Is anyone lusting after her though?
Old 08-21-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by DrRingDing
i have to admit, though, that the one thing RS does have going for it is Peter Travers. i quite like his reviews and typically agree with his opinions..
-di doctor-
Oh man, I stopped reading RS because of Peter Travers. He was the kind of movie critic who applied little formulas to everything, like if it has a kid in peril then it is just using a cheap hook, therefore it is bad. Just about any indie movie was best picture material in his eyes, and anything that cost over $50 million to make was blockbuster trash. What a joke. Maybe he has changed in the last 3 years or so since I stopped reading it, but I doubt it.
Old 08-21-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Alyoshka
I really don't find her all that attractive. I don't think I made any comments about her in the past.

Now as for Nat. Portman, it's different. I was the same age when Leon came out. so it's sort of a crush that has grown in time.
Old 08-21-03, 02:28 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Ergyu
The only thing RS is ever good for anymore is their non music journalism, and that's been pushing it at best (they've done like 4 issues about the marines in iraq; I've had enough.)
Yep, that's all it's had going for it for some time. But even that has went down hill the past year or two IMO, so I let my subscription run out.
Old 08-21-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now as for Nat. Portman, it's different. I was the same age when Leon came out. so it's sort of a crush that has grown in time.
Wow, good call. Completely forgot about her. From the first time I saw her (in "The Professional"), Natalie always looked like an adult trapped in a child's body to me. I never thought "Hot!" when I looked at her. Instead, felt she was just an extremely beautiful and mature looking kid. Plus, wasn't she like 12 when the movie was made? We really didn't see her walking around in diapers like we did the Olsen Twins. Which btw, I thought they were the UGLIEST babies I have ever seen. They looked like the flying monkeys from "The Wizard of Oz".
Old 08-21-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is their current subscription rate? All I ever hear or read is people badmouthin RS yet they are still around. It's been a long time since I picked up an issue (I think it was their first interview with Guns-N-Roses) and I don't see people reading it at all.
Old 08-21-03, 07:40 PM
Banned

[img]//images.mp3.com/rollingstone/content/2047188/Images/00331079.jpg[/img]

I wouldn't even wait until they were 18.
Old 08-22-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RS is total BS. The choices for their covers are a joke. The Olsen Twins? Why not The Dandy Warhols or another band that has a new CD released?

Don't even get me started on the so-called "Women in Rock" issue. Another load of total BS. Another strike against them: they gave the Aimee Mann and Pete Yorn's latest CDs 2 star ratings while salivating all over the latest pre-packaged corporate releases.

Gee, who will be on the cover next? Tara Reid? Jason Biggs? or perhaps Paris Hilton!
Old 08-22-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LiquidSky
RS is total BS. The choices for their covers are a joke. The Olsen Twins? Why not The Dandy Warhols or another band that has a new CD released?

Don't even get me started on the so-called "Women in Rock" issue. Another load of total BS. Another strike against them: they gave the Aimee Mann and Pete Yorn's latest CDs 2 star ratings while salivating all over the latest pre-packaged corporate releases.

Gee, who will be on the cover next? Tara Reid? Jason Biggs? or perhaps Paris Hilton!

I'm sure the cast of "The OC" will be on the cover next.
Old 08-22-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really don't find her all that attractive. I don't think I made any comments about her in the past.

You're right on both counts. There is also Kristen Dunst who is pretty hot now and as someone said about Natalie always being an adult trapped in a childs body...how about Interview with a Vampire.

RS magazine is so irrelevant in the music world that it has almost become funny.