Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Boys of Summer

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 10:32 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally posted by Brain Stew
I am tired of the mainstreaming of punk. It's nice that you can pick up Black Flag, or The Clash, or Dead Kennedys at your local music store, but ypu have to wonder when the subversive becomes mainstream.
The Clash were always on Epic (CBS in Britain), so they started out mainstream and stayed that way. So did the Pistols, for that matter. Times were different then - Patti Smith, Television, Talking Heads, The Ramones, The Dead Boys - all these artists started out on major labels. True, both Televison and Patti Smith self-released singles prior to signing with Elektra and Arista, respectively, but that was done more to prove their commercial potential to the major labels, rather than as an alternative to them.
Old 08-14-03, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I sometimes enjoy punk covers of songs, but not this one. It has none of the energy that a punk song should have, just the rapid tempo. It just feels so packaged and fabricated. . .or maybe I'm just getting old and pissy.
Old 08-15-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you want a BETTER cover of this song, IMO, check out the version by the band Codeseven recorded back in 1998. The Ataris version sounds like a much wimpier/weaker version of what Codeseven tried with the song.
Old 08-15-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The Benjamins also did a much better cover. Wow, what happened to the Ataris? I didn't follow them very closely, but the few songs I'd heard of theirs when I was in college eclipse embarrassing tripe like "In This Diary". "Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up?" Yikes!
Old 08-15-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If their record company insisted on this song, and if The Ataris didn't really do their very best on that version, they should have said, okay fine. We'll re-record it if you're so damn insistent on it! But if they weren't completely satisfied with it, they should have redone it.

Well, now its a hit, for better or for worse. It is at #44 this week on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart.
Old 08-16-03, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by scarredgod
if you want a BETTER cover of this song, IMO, check out the version by the band Codeseven recorded back in 1998. The Ataris version sounds like a much wimpier/weaker version of what Codeseven tried with the song.
Uh, this is kinda scary IMO. I don't think this is a good tone for the song at all.
Old 08-16-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
Re: The Boys of Summer

Originally posted by Buttmunker
The Boys of Summer by Don Henley was his finest hour as a solo artist
Gorgeous song, but The End of the Innocence, his collaboration with the great Bruce Hornsby, is right up there with the best.
Old 09-06-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I kept hearing this song on the "HITS" channel. I was wondering why they were playing this old song so much. Finally was told it was a remake because I would turn it as soon as I heard it.

Both versions blow, IMO!
Old 09-06-03, 03:25 PM
Banned

Decent cover.....Phenomenal song

This songs production....PERFECT(who the hell produced this song by the way). Also, Henley's raspy vocals are perfect for the song. Just one "Minor" complaint.....It wouldn't be a Dalvin post without one. But I would have loved to have had those 2 new songs on "Actual Miles"(garden of Alllah and Everybody Knows) replaced with two songs from "Inside Job"("My Thanksgiving" and "Workin' It". Oh well, Just buy these two albums, the new cuts on "Actual Miles" aren't that great, but it was because Henley was having many gripes with his record company at the time. Why do you think he posed as a used car salesman on the front cover of the album? I got the subliminal message, but many didn't
Old 09-06-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I must be old, I didnt know what Black Flag was in reference to... I am assuming Dead Head was Grateful Dead? right?
Old 09-07-03, 12:20 AM
Banned

I think he's got it folks

The gentlemen above me.....wow sir......I'm glad you figured it out. Let's all chip in and buy this guy a cookie
Old 09-07-03, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by El Scorcho
To add my expertise on this --

I'm good friends with the Ataris....
Somehow I knew I'd find you in this thread.

-k
###
Old 09-07-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LX98Civic
I kept hearing this song on the "HITS" channel. I was wondering why they were playing this old song so much. Finally was told it was a remake because I would turn it as soon as I heard it.

Both versions blow, IMO!
oh look who it is.
Old 09-08-03, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can tolerate the Henly version, but this newest version is just complete crap. Personally, I'm tired of new bands covering old classics just to get on the radio. They can't write their own lyrics / basic melody, so they rip something.