Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Elvis Costello News and Appreciation Thread....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Elvis Costello News and Appreciation Thread....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
ELVISWATCH

The TRIO cable channel is running the 1989 Late Night With David Letterman with Elvis tonight at 10 (est). He comes out & does Pads, Paws, & Claws > Leave My Kitten Alone solo, then chats with Dave about God's Comic & touring. Good stuff. This is the show that first made me really take notice of Elvis.
Old 12-29-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
That makes we want to go and listen to Spike.
Old 12-29-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In other Elvis news, I believe it is now official that the next batch of reissues will be "Goodbye Cruel World", "Almost Blue", and "Kojak Variety". The reissues are being done thematically, so I guess the theme of this set is "Least Popular Albums".

Of course, my general indifference to the above titles will not keep me from buying all three the day they are released. In fact, I'm almost looking forward to "Goodbye Cruel World", in the hopes that the extra disc will contain demos that show what the album could have been.

Here are the announced dates for the new North American tour.

Thu, Feb 19 Clearwater, FL Ruth Eckerd Hall

Fri, Feb 20 Tampa, FL Performing Arts Center

Sat, Feb 21 Boca Raton, FL Mizner Park Amphitheatre

Tue, Feb 24 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium

Thu, Feb 26 New York, NY Beacon Theater

Fri, Feb 27 Boston, MA Wang Center

Sat, Feb 28 Toronto Massey Hall

Mon, Mar 1 Chicago, IL Oriental Theater

Wed, Mar 3 Los Angeles, CA Royce Hall

Sun, Mar 7 Vancouver, BC The Vogue Theater

Mon, Mar 8 Seattle, WA Benaroya Hall

Tue, Mar 9 Portland, OR Schnitzer Hall

Thu, Mar 11 San Francisco, CA Warfield Theater

More dates to come, I'm sure.

I'm not sure if he's touring with a full band, or just with Steve Nieve like on the "Lonely World" tour. I'm guessing that latter since the tour is in support of "North".

jim
Old 12-30-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Any idea when those next three reissues will come out? That will nearly complete my set as far as I'm concerned (I owned "Juliet Letters" once and see no real need to own it again, but I am eagerly awaiting "King of America").
Old 12-31-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gamblor187
In other Elvis news, I believe it is now official that the next batch of reissues will be "Goodbye Cruel World", "Almost Blue", and "Kojak Variety". The reissues are being done thematically, so I guess the theme of this set is "Least Popular Albums".

I think King Of America will be in there instead of Kojak Variety.
Old 03-29-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to Rhino, "The Juliet Letters", "Gwendolyn" (Wendy James demos), "Taking Liberties", and (finally!!!) "King Of America" will come out in February, 2005.

The last official release date for the next round ("Goodbye Cruel World", "Kojak Variety", and "Almost Blue") was for April, but I highly doubt we'll see them that soon.

jim
Old 03-30-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

King Of America should be in the next batch.
Old 03-30-04, 09:07 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Why would there be a new release of Taking Liberties? Hasn't it been rendered obsolete since they're putting all those extra tracks on the other CDs. Of course, the cover art is pretty cool.
Old 03-30-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ooo, King of America. That's one of the few Costello albums I've never listened to, I've been waiting for this for a while. Unfortunately it looks like I get to keep on waiting for another year.
Old 03-30-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by wendersfan
Why would there be a new release of Taking Liberties? Hasn't it been rendered obsolete since they're putting all those extra tracks on the other CDs. Of course, the cover art is pretty cool.
I don't understand the point of a new release of "Taking Liberties", either. Of course, they'll probably find a way of making me buy it....like adding a couple bonus tracks that won't be on the other reissues.

jim
Old 03-31-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't understand the point of a new release of "Taking Liberties", either. Of course, they'll probably find a way of making me buy it....like adding a couple bonus tracks that won't be on the other reissues.

jim
Outtakes from an album of outtakes. Sort of self defeating innit it?
Old 03-31-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cungar
Outtakes from an album of outtakes. Sort of self defeating innit it?
I think so. But Rhino probably realizes that obsessive fans like myself (the kind that have bought the CDs three times now...not to mention vinyl and bootlegs) will buy it if they add a track of Elvis singing in the shower.

jim
Old 04-01-04, 01:21 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't understand the common theme between The Juliet Letters, Gwendolyn, and Taking Liberties. Couldn't they have put King of America in earlier? I've been waiting so long for that remaster, dammit.
Old 04-02-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually according to Rhino, "taking liberties" will be expanded -- not sure how or by what, but that's what this guy said:

http://www.rhino.com/news/articles/gstewart.lasso
Old 04-02-04, 09:50 PM

According to the Elvis Costello Home Page, the Almost Blue/Goodbye Cruel World/Kojak Variety reissue batch has been delayed until August 17th.

And, yes, King Of America really should be in this batch instead of Goodbye Cruel World -- in fact, that was *supposed* to be the plan; you can read it in the aforementioned Gary Stewart interview (thanks for the link, Sierra Disc). The idea was that this batch would focus on Costello's love of American roots music. Unfortunately, according to all of the Costello websites I've scoured, Goodbye Cruel World has indeed replaced KOA in this lineup, with no explanation given. To me, that's kinda like replacing Abbey Road with... Live At The Star Club, maybe?
Old 04-07-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And how's this for cool news:

Elvis Costello to release two albums simultaneously this fall
NEW YORK (AP) — Elvis Costello’s split musical personality is showing.
The British songwriter will release two albums this fall — a rock ’n’ roll disc and his first full-length orchestral work, his publicist said Wednesday.
Costello is now recording the rock album with his backup band, the Imposters, in Memphis, Tenn., and Oxford, Miss. It will be released on Lost Highway Records.
The classical album, “Il Sogno,” was recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra, with conductor Michael Tilson Thomas. This disc will be released on the Deutsche Grammophon label.
Costello’s most recent album, “North,” was a jazzy, piano-based song cycle on love lost and found.

I have to admit I have no interest in the classical album ("North" was EC's worst album in many moons IMHO) but the rock album sounds absolutely great! I used to live in Oxford Mississippi and am psyched to learn EC's recording there!
Old 04-07-04, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Not to mention he's written an opera too

:: 15th of March 2004::

• Elvis Costello has written an opera to mark the 200 years since Hans Christian Andersen's birthday. The opera is written especially for the Royal Danish Theatre's new opera house at Holmen, Copenhagen, Denmark.
No date has yet been mentioned.
Stay tuned for more info!
Old 04-07-04, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc

I have to admit I have no interest in the classical album ("North" was EC's worst album in many moons IMHO)
Well, it's not his worst if you count "For The Stars".
Old 04-07-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a couple good songs on that. Namely the title track.
Old 04-08-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I skipped that one entirely.
Old 06-15-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The U.S. release date for the next batch of reissues (Almost Blue. Kojak Variety. and Goodbye Cruel World) has been set for July 20th. The tracks for the bonus CDs are listed here:

http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/tracklists.html

jim
Old 06-15-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The U.S. release date for the next batch of reissues (Almost Blue. Kojak Variety. and Goodbye Cruel World) has been set for July 20th. The tracks for the bonus CDs are listed here:

http://www.geocities.com/ned3705/tracklists.html

jim
Cool! Thanks for the heads-up. I cannot wait to get a copy of his version of "Brilliant Disguise" on CD (currently just have it on an mp3). He really makes that song his own.

Rhino has yet to disappoint me with this series. I'd go as far to say that this is the best string of CD reissues that I've ever seen. It really panders to the completest (like me).

I just wish A&E would release his "Live By Request" on DVD.
Old 06-15-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DJLinus
Cool! Thanks for the heads-up. I cannot wait to get a copy of his version of "Brilliant Disguise" on CD (currently just have it on an mp3). He really makes that song his own.

Rhino has yet to disappoint me with this series. I'd go as far to say that this is the best string of CD reissues that I've ever seen. It really panders to the completest (like me).

I just wish A&E would release his "Live By Request" on DVD.
Yes, it would be nice to have "Live By Request" on DVD in an uncut version, as well as "A Case For Song".

Looks like some great tracks on these bonus discs....a duet with Johnny Cash....a song with Madness...the aforementioned "Brilliant Disguise. And I'm really looking forward to the demos on Goodbye Cruel World. The demos of "The Comedians" and "The Only Flame In Town" found on the bonus disc of All This Useless Beuaty were excellent.
Old 08-08-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The latest wave of rereleases totally flew under my radar and were put out last week. Guess I know what I'll be picking up this week.
Old 08-09-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Then start saving up for his two new albums. "Il Songo", a ballet (I'll probably skip this one) and "The Delivery Man" with The Impostors. Both are coming in September!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.