Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ben Folds to release 3 new EPs, produce William Shatner album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Full story at http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...music_folds_dc .

The first EP, slated for a July 22nd release, is only going to be sold through his website, concert dates, and iTunes. The only copies you can snag in traditional stores will be on vinyl. It's not stated if future EPs will follow a similar release pattern, but the followup will be released in September, followed by a third in November. The William Shatner album will start recording later this year, with a 2004 release date in sight.
Old 07-03-03, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the best news I've heard all day (minus the part about William Shatner.)

~Shayne~
Old 07-03-03, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is the best news I've heard all day (minus the part about the EPs.)
Old 07-03-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
The Shatner tracks from Folds' "Fear Of Pop" were great. Can't wait to hear rthe new stuff.
Old 07-04-03, 07:07 PM

I saw him in concert a few days ago and he premiered a few songs. They are VERY good. No new directions with his sound but solid Folds stuff.

Aaron
Old 07-04-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dude, if Shatner would release an official cover of "Rocket Man", I would buy one of his albums for that alone.
Old 07-05-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why EPs? Why not just realease a new full length CD.
What is the Shatner connection?
Old 07-07-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Originally posted by WhattheFFF
I agree. Why not a full length cd. EPs just take up more room on my cd rack. I will probably buy them and just burn them onto one cd.

I have no idea how he met Shatner but Shatner did some talking work on one of his songs (and a reprise) on his Fear Of Pop album.

It is actually really good and funny.

Ben Folds did a B-sides EP for Rockin' The Suburbs which was pretty good. I bought it off Ebay b/c I could not find it anyway else. It has 4 songs on it. Hiro's Song (great), One Down (even better), The Secret Life of Morgan Davis (decent) and Make Me Mommy (funny and even better in concert). Now I can combine them with the new EPs to make a full album.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 07-07-03 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-07-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Ben Folds and Shatner met during the filming for those Priceline commercials he did where he'd be "performing" while a band would play, and Ben was the keyboard player in the band - I'm not sure but I think all the band members were "names".
Old 07-07-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by WhattheFFF
Read the article. That's why I linked to it.
Old 07-07-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I read the article & I understand why he's not releasing the CDs through traditional avenues but I'd still rather have a full length CD then 3 EPs.

The article didn't really discuss why he's working with Shatner.
Old 07-08-03, 09:14 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Saw Ben Folds perform over the weekend at Newport Summer Music Fest and a local music paper said that the EP's would appear on CD form from his website, but that commercially the EP's would be released as vinyl - how's that for being screwy.
Old 07-18-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
This was just posted on his website:

i just finished an EP. it's called "speed graphic". it has 5 songs on it. it will be available in the next couple of weeks, during which time i'll be finishing another EP called "sunny 16", to be released in september. a third EP will be recorded (no name yet) for release in november. a trilogy of EP's. a full length cd will come out at the beginning of the year, for those who don't like EP's.
Now, does that last sentence mean that all three EPs will be collected onto one CD? That's the way that I interpreted it. I'd much prefer just having one disc rather than three - my space is getting severly limited.

Oh, and the tracklisting for the first EP was posted, as well as a tentative tracklist for the second one. I'm looking forward to hearing his take on the Cure's "Inbetween Days."
Old 09-22-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just bumping this to let y'all know that the next EP is up for pre-order and the first 500 will be autographed.

And, to answer my own question above, the latest e-mail contained this:
about the EP's and album coming up:
my plan at the moment is to take three songs from the EP's and put them on the full length. i may arrange and record them differently.. i'm not sure. the rest of the full length album to be released early next year, will be new.
Old 09-22-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank you VERY much for the heads up. I really enjoyed the first EP.
Old 10-09-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by brianluvdvd
EPs just take up more room on my cd rack.
I agree with you there, but these shouldn't take up too much space. I got the first two in the mail today and they each came in cardboard sleeves. Kind of disappointed in the packaging, but the music's great.
Old 03-22-04, 11:13 AM
Mod Emeritus

Captain Kirk sings Pulp!

From England's Sheffield Star newspaper:
AS Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise he was anything other than one of the Common People.

But now William Shatner – actor behind arguably the world's most famous sci-fi hero – is recording an unlikely version of the classic hit by Sheffield band Pulp.

The strange combination comes on a new album of duets the 73-year-old former Star Trek star has made, initially for release in the USA.

Common People – Jarvis Cocker's song about a snooty ex-girlfriend – got Pulp to number two in the singles charts in June 1995. It turned the band into a household name and led to them headlining Glastonbury Festival.

It clearly took the fancy of the retired starship captain, who has
been working with a bunch of unlikely collaborators on his new record, including Joe Jackson, outspoken Vietnam veteran-turned-singer and social commentator Henry Rollins and country star Brad Paisley. The album is being produced by Ben Folds, who once lost his shoes during a night at Sheffield's Leadmill and had to shop barefoot for replacements at Meadowhall the following day.

Shatner has released records before, most notably a rather testing cover of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, which went on to become a kitsch cult classic.

This latest crooning project has the toupe-loving star duetting with a gathering of famous and lesser known singers. Who he sings Common People with is a closely guarded secret.

It is 36 years since Montreal-born Shatner released his first album, The Transformed Man, which included spoken-word cover versions. Although the actor intended the record to be taken seriously, it became something of a legend in camp circles.

Pulp drummer Nick Banks said he wasn't aware of any official approach by Shatner over Common People, but welcomed news of the sci-fi legend covering their music. "I am as intrigued as anybody to hear this. I remember hearing some of William Shatner's other songs and they had a, shall we say, unique quality about them," said Nick.

Pulp are currently taking a rest from the music business. Jarvis is
living in Paris and enjoying fatherhood while Nick has joined the
family ceramics business.

The Hip Surgery Music Guide, an internet site that celebrates offbeat musical genres, says Shatner's songs can be taken as examples of "either impassioned intensity or pompous overacting". In recent years, he has made a living by spoofing his own overdramatic acting style. In 1998, he played himself in the comedy Free Enterprise and recorded a song called No Tears For Caesar for the soundtrack. Bizarrely, it combined elements of hip hop and a Shakespearean sonnet.

Surely his finest release, however, is the 1997 album Spaced Out! – a collection of songs by Shatner and fellow Trekkie Leonard Nimoy.

TOP TEN
More songs Captain Kirk could cover:
Klingon Me Softly With His Song - Roberta Flack
Since You Beam Gone - Rainbow
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Space - Roberta Flack
Beam Me Up Before You Go Go - Wham!
Warped by Red Hot Chilli Peppers
I'm In A Different World - Four Tops
Shooting Star - Flip & Fill
Planet Earth - Duran Duran
Stars - Simply Red
Neutron Dance - Pointer Sisters
Plus anything by 'Dilithium' Crystal Gayle or Space.
Old 03-22-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shatner is 73??!!!
Old 03-23-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

has anyone listened to his solo cd/actually own it?
Old 03-23-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Klingon Me Softly with His Song
Old 03-23-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shatner rules!!!
Old 03-23-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Hollowgen
has anyone listened to his solo cd/actually own it?
I do. I found it at a used CD store for two bucks, so I couldn't pass it up.

I've found it to be an excellent tool for making people leave your house.
Old 07-02-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got this e-mail:

the trilogy of eps is finally complete and "super d" will be ready on july 27.
we'll have pre-ordering information for you as soon as possible. and like the other eps, will only be available by internet orders at www.attackedbyplastic.com and through downloads.

"super d" features three new original ben folds songs: "kalamazoo", "adelaide", and "rent a cop" and two classic covers: the darkness' "get your hands off of my woman" and a wonderful early ray charles song called "them that got" recorded live in boston....
stay tuned...we'll be back with more info.

Finally!
Old 07-03-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Is the compilation still on track? Or is that the "super d" mentioned above? Will this be available in stores?

tks
Old 08-09-04, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BadlyDrawnBoy, my duplicate thread got closed before I got a chance to thank you for posting a link to Shatner's version of "Common People." So...thanks!

Not sure if I'll be picking up has been on 10/5, but Shatner doing Pulp was pretty funny.

I still need to put an order in for the Super D EP. Too bad I missed out on the autograph copies this time.

Edit to add: Looks like Super D got pushed back yet again, this time to 8/24 (my birthday!).

Last edited by DJLinus; 08-09-04 at 11:16 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.