Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Beatles album?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Best Beatles album?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a tossup between Hard Day's Night and Abbey Road for me.
Old 07-05-03, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sgt Pepper's should have had Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane on it and then it would have been a much better album than it was in my opinion.

For me the best if I have to choose is REVOLVER.
Old 07-05-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well back then it was a common practice to in the UK to release a single that was not on the album. Don't ask me why, I don't know. That's why you now have the two CD collections called "Past Masters". None of those songs appeared on LP's in the 60's. Get Back and The Long And Winding Road are different versions than the ones that appear on Let It Be.

I think Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields was released in Febuary of 1967 in the UK.
Old 07-06-03, 08:45 AM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
Well back then it was a common practice to in the UK to release a single that was not on the album. Don't ask me why, I don't know. That's why you now have the two CD collections called "Past Masters". None of those songs appeared on LP's in the 60's. Get Back and The Long And Winding Road are different versions than the ones that appear on Let It Be.

I think Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields was released in Febuary of 1967 in the UK.
While all that is essentially true, I think the reason The Beatles have so many non-album singles and well-known non-single tracks is their sheer brilliance and work rate. They knocked out so many great songs, so fast, that the albums couldn't keep up.

T
Old 07-06-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

George Martin on why they were not not included on 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band':

"The reason that Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane didn't appear on the album [Sgt. Peppers] is that Brian Epstein, their manager, was worried. He said to me, 'The boys need a lift - they need a great sequel and what have you got.' Well, I said, 'We've got two wonderful songs - let's issue them both.' In those days we didn't include single releases in albums as we thought we were conning the public. One of the biggest errors I ever made." -
Old 06-23-05, 10:56 PM

I'm suprised at how many people prefer the earlier Beatles to later Beatles. So shocked I thought i'd resurrect this puppy.

I've been on a Beatles craze lately, but I don't even enjoy their earlier stuff. Also suprised at the dislike of Sgt. Peppers.

My fav: Sgt. Peppers / White Album / Abbey Road (too tough to seperate)

Favourite song right now: She's Leaving Home. Anyone else want to chime in who didn't get to originally?
Old 06-23-05, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Favorite album for me is "rubber soul", the first of the so called later era beatles albums. favorite song all time by them would have to be "a day in the life" from sgt pepper. i think the main "disliking" of "peppers" is because it is consitered by many critics as the best record just becuase is they consiter it the first real concept album, when most of the songs could have been on any beatles album.
Old 06-23-05, 11:19 PM

You just reminded me what I forgot to mention, 'a day in the life'. I don't get why everyone loves it so much. Sure I don't mind it, but i'd even consider it one of the weaker songs on the album.
Old 06-23-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I'd probably have to say for me personally it's a tossup between Rubber Soul and Abbey Road. George Harrison wrote 2 really great songs on Abbey Road.
Old 06-24-05, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Singing the same tune here. My aunt left Help and Hard Day's Night at my grandmom's house and those two albums completely formed how I listen to rock music.
Anything that sounds like those albums always catches my attention. However, it's Rubber Soul/Revolver that are the big winners. Also agree with others here who aren't as enthused with Sgt. Pepper. I realize the impact it had on studio recording, but it still sort of falls back compared to what they had just done. Maybe if I hadn't heard for 30 years how it's the greatest album of all time I'd feel differently.
Old 06-24-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Rubber Soul/Revolver.
Old 06-24-05, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Revolver
Old 06-24-05, 08:10 PM

The Beatles went downhill after Paul died.
Old 06-24-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Abbey Road is stunningly perfect which is astounding after the Get Back sessions.

If I had to take just one, I'd take The White Album. Its just tremendous. Blackbird, Julia, Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired, Sexy Sadie...... Wow.

I go more for the LSD tinged Beatles personally but I love them all.
Old 06-25-05, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Beatles for Sale followed closely by Rubber Soul and With the Beatles.
Old 06-25-05, 05:13 PM
Cool New Member

Revolver's my pick, although there isn't a single Beatles album that I can say I dislike in its entirety.
Old 06-25-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by redhenry
While all that is essentially true, I think the reason The Beatles have so many non-album singles and well-known non-single tracks is their sheer brilliance and work rate. They knocked out so many great songs, so fast, that the albums couldn't keep up.

T
In the 60s singles(45s) were the priority, not albums with the record companies. Albums were more of a secondary byproduct. It wasn't until AOR came along that the focus changed to album sales as the primary goal of the artists and record companies. People didn't buy "Whole Lotta Love" on 45, they bought the album. As big as The Beatles and Elvis were there are rock bands who top them in album sales. ACDC and KISS have probably sold more albums than the Beatles.
Old 06-27-05, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Depending on my mood, Revolver (usually) or Abbey Road.

K
Old 06-27-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Help! is probably my favorite Beatles album. I think it has some of the most beautiful moments in Beatles history, especially the organ in "I need You." And I've Just Seen a Face is one of my 5 favorite songs of all time.

After that my choices would be rubber soul, revolver and abbey road. The rest of the albums don't do that much for me on the whole.
Old 06-27-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
It's all about Abbey Road for me. Love the album from start to finish. Let It Be and Revolver are probably numbers 2 and 3 respectively on my list of favorites.

And I'm actually very surprised at how many people are ranking "Help!" near as their favorite. I love the album (and the movie for that matter), and it's nice to see that I'm not the only one who appreciates it so much.
Old 06-29-05, 07:09 AM

I love them all, but Sgt. Pepper, Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour form a Holy Trinity of Beatles albums for me.
Old 06-29-05, 10:01 AM

From 'A Hard Day's Night' onward are their best work, but of those I always thought 'Let It Be' was the weakest of the bunch....that is, until 'Let It Be..Naked' was released. Now it is my favorite Beatles album. It's not just that these are better versions of the songs...the sequence is key. The original version opened with 'Two Of Us' and ended with 'Get Back' --- The 'Naked' version opens with 'Get Back' and closes with 'Let It Be'
Old 06-29-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by evenflow
What's the best Beatles album, in your opinion?

My pick: Rubber Soul. It's just flawless from start to finish. It doesn't have any of my top 5 Beatles songs (not even top 7) but it's one that I listen to in its entirety the most often.

Top 5:
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Revolver
Abbey Road
The White Album
Shit, I can't argue with this list, maybe the order, but nice call.
Old 06-29-05, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
1, of course.

*ducks*
Old 07-01-05, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Damone
I always thought 'Let It Be' was the weakest of the bunch....that is, until 'Let It Be..Naked' was released. Now it is my favorite Beatles album. It's not just that these are better versions of the songs...the sequence is key. The original version opened with 'Two Of Us' and ended with 'Get Back' --- The 'Naked' version opens with 'Get Back' and closes with 'Let It Be'
I have to agree. I got "Naked" for Christmas and expected to dislike it as much as the original - but was pleasantly surprised. I enjoy this newer version IMMENSELY!

Originally Posted by CRM114
If I had to take just one, I'd take The White Album. Its just tremendous. Blackbird, Julia, Dear Prudence, I'm So Tired, Sexy Sadie...... Wow.
Let's not forget Rocky Racoon, Helter Skelter, Happiness is a Warm Gun...

White Album is easily the best. Very eclectic and shows a wide range of what the best of the Beatles was. The one to take if you could only have one (barring Revolution 9).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.