Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Dido -- discussion thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dido -- discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Well, that's certainly good to hear. Thanks.
Old 06-17-05, 01:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered this today for only $10.55 after the 20% DDD discount.
Old 06-18-05, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by tofu
Are her concerts any good? I've never seen her perform live although I do really like her music.
I saw her in concert - June 2004, in New York - and she was surprisingly good. I went to see the concert with my daughter who is a huge fan, and my expectations weren't too high. But she's an engaging performer .. the audience loves her, and she plays off that. The band was incredibly tight, and that obviously helped her since she doesn't have such a dynamic voice or singing style. If you like her music, then she is genuinely worth catching in concert, and I was hoping they would release a live concert DVD at some point.
Old 06-18-05, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Am I the only one who sees "Dildo" when I see her name at first glance? I keep thinking I'm in the Adult forum.
Old 06-18-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Saxofonix
and that obviously helped her since she doesn't have such a dynamic voice or singing style.
I would disagree. One of the things I like about Dido's style is that she doesn't over-sing the way people like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston do. Just because Mariah Carey has a seven-octave range doesn't mean we have to hear all seven octaves on every frickin' song. Dido is straightforward and emotional without the caterwauling.
Old 06-18-05, 08:01 PM

Is the DVD 16x9?
I did a quick search online, I couldn't even find out if it was widescreen.

Edit: Dvdsoon lists this as 4:3

Last edited by raining_helper; 06-18-05 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-18-05, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by raining_helper
Is the DVD is 16x9?
I did a quick search online, I couldn't even find out if it was widescreen.
Yes, widescreen anamorphic 1.85:1. Here's a link to the DVDTalk review. The review says there are two new tracks, but the ones she listed are each on one of her two albums (?).*

*EDIT: Holly edited her review to fix that note about two new tracks. There are no new tracks on the DVD.

Last edited by hondo21; 06-21-05 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-18-05, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by hondo21
Yes, widescreen anamorphic 1.85:1. Here's a link to the DVDTalk review. The review says there are two new tracks, but the ones she listed are each on one of her two albums (?).
Thanks.
LOL ... here I search the web and a bunch of e-tailers, and the info i'm looking for is in a DVDTalk review. Go figure.
Old 06-18-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by raining_helper
Thanks.
LOL ... here I search the web and a bunch of e-tailers, and the info i'm looking for is in a DVDTalk review. Go figure.
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I would disagree. One of the things I like about Dido's style is that she doesn't over-sing the way people like Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston do. Just because Mariah Carey has a seven-octave range doesn't mean we have to hear all seven octaves on every frickin' song. Dido is straightforward and emotional without the caterwauling.
Can't say much about "Crack Is Whack"-ney, but i'm guessing you haven't listened to Mariah since Daydream. See, she's given her octaves a rest and decided to whisper while dramatically decreasing the amount of clothing she wears while "singing".

Besides that, i'm thankful for Dido's style.
Old 06-18-05, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Oh absolutely. I can't stand Mariah Carey or Whitney or most (any?) of the divas. I always think of that line in Amadeus ... "too many notes" .. when I hear the divas sing.

My original comment was more along the lines of comparing her to, say Tori Amos or Kate Bush, whose voices have a certain .. resonance (??) that Dido lacks. Dido tends to sing in a plain un-ornate way - which I do prefer to the divas .. but ... yeah .. her voice isn't the strongest I've heard. That said, I really do like her music.
Old 06-19-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Saxofonix
Oh absolutely. I can't stand Mariah Carey or Whitney or most (any?) of the divas. I always think of that line in Amadeus ... "too many notes" .. when I hear the divas sing.

My original comment was more along the lines of comparing her to, say Tori Amos or Kate Bush, whose voices have a certain .. resonance (??) that Dido lacks. Dido tends to sing in a plain un-ornate way - which I do prefer to the divas .. but ... yeah .. her voice isn't the strongest I've heard. That said, I really do like her music.
The diva oversinging drives me absolutely batshit. And while I don't think Dido has the most dynamic pipes either, I much prefer her over the cookie cutter American Idol wailers any day.
Old 06-29-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
DIDO: news on 3rd[new] album

Dido Working On Third Album With Jon Brion

U.K. vocalist Dido has drafted producer/songwriter Jon Brion to assist with her third studio album, which could be out before the end of the year via Arista. Drummer Matt Chamberlain has also participated in recent recording sessions in Los Angeles.

"We've written a bunch of stuff together, and we've been recording," Brion tells Billboard.com. "I don't think people who know either of us would think it's the thing to do, and yet it's making total sense."

Brion says Dido is moving away from the mainstream pop/rock of her first two releases, which have sold 6.2 million copies combined in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

"She wants something less glossy and further left," Brion reveals. "I think people have disregarded the emotional aspects of her writing, because the way the records have been presented make the music seem a little flat. But in terms of her singing, she's just an absolutely unbelievable, naturally great singer, in truth one of the greatest I've ever worked with. There's a certain kind of restraint in record making that she doesn't want anymore. That's good. That's a recipe for finding new things."

In a recent journal posting on her Web site, Dido alluded to the creative benefits of decamping in Los Angeles. "I'm inspired constantly by the great songwriting tradition in America which I hadn't really explored before and I just love getting in my car and going on long drives and writing songs," she wrote.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 08-22-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DIDO: "Safe Trip Home" -11/4/08

Dido Brings It All 'Home' On New Album

Dido has slated a Nov. 4 release date for her oft-delayed third album, "Safe Trip Home" (RCA Label Group). Album track "Look No Further" is being made available as a free download as of today (Aug. 22) from DidoMusic.com.

The proper single, "Don't Believe in Love," will be issued digitally and on CD on a date to be announced.

"Safe Trip Home" is the follow-up to 2003's "Life for Rent," which has sold more than 2.1 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

The set was co-produced by Jon Brion and Dido and her brother Rollo Armstrong, working together under the moniker Ark. One track, "Grafton Street," was co-written with Brian Eno.

BILLBOARD.com
Old 08-22-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking forward to this, but the new song isn't blowing my skirt up. It's slow, and way too string-heavy. I think an uptempo number would have been a better choice as a first single.
Old 08-27-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll have to check out the new song when I get home...I love her voice, her lyrics. Can't wait to hear the album...
Old 11-22-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was ho-hum on this album, there are maybe 2 songs worthy of being released as singles. It'll probably be one of those albums you're better off carefully listening to with headphones, and not while driving around in your car. But the death of her father in 2006 had an impact on the overall tone of the album.
Old 11-22-08, 02:33 AM

A disappointing album for me. It's not commercial at all. Even the bonus remix done by her brother isn't that special.
Old 01-03-13, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DIDO: "Girl Who Got Away" -3/4/13

The track is taken from Dido’s new album, Girl Who Got Away, out 4 March 2013. Check out “Let Us Move On”, produced by Dido herself and her brother Rollo Armstrong with Jeff Bhasker!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NnrswAX5qFo?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
Old 01-03-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: DIDO: "Girl Who Got Away" -3/4/13

Already better than anything on [her last album] SAFE TRIP HOME.
Old 01-03-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Already better than anything on [her last album] SAFE TRIP HOME.
I love her first two albums, but that one did nothing for me.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HHO_xmT5xAA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-04-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was pretty disappointed with her last album and I'd be cautious about buying this, but I certainly would have expected the first single to be a LOT better than that. Even on a bad album, Dido is usually good for 2 very catchy singles. I HATED that song.
Old 01-04-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great song. Thank you for sharing it. I loved all three of her albums and I didn't realize she had a new one coming out soon. I'll look forward to hearing the full album.
Old 01-05-13, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

wow. i didn't know she still did music.

I'll check it out.
Old 01-08-13, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a while.
Old 02-12-13, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I wondered what happened to her unless she was just concentrating on making music in Europe and not big in the U.S. anymore or she has to do a duet with a rapper to gain a US audience again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.