Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jump, Little Children

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Jump, Little Children

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jump, Little Children

Someone mentioned this band on the Guster thread I started.

I figured that since I really liked Guster, I'd have to check this band out, too.

Downloaded a few tracks, instantly hooked. Went out and bought Vertigo, Magazine and the Early Years.

I absolutely love all three albums, but Vertigo is easily the greatest CD I have ever listened to, without a doubt.

How can MTV and ClearChannel force feed us so much crap and let bands like this go unknown?

Any other fans of JLC? Anyone want to recommend another band that I'd like too? Just be careful, can't spend too much money on a truckload of new CDs.
Old 06-26-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Cathedrals" is great if you are into that cathartic acoustic and string-section combination. The rest of their stuff has never done anything for me.

I can't really think of anything else you might enjoy...maybe Bright Eyes, but a lot of people are turned off by his warbly voice. Besides, I don't even give them an incredibly strong reccomendation because I'm not that big of a fan.
Old 06-26-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
As in the Guster thread, I can't recommend JLC's live DVD enough if you are a fan. As far as I know, it's only available on their website and maybe at live shows (I'd assume). I saw them live once back in college - the women swooned, I tells ya.

I have not yet picked up Vertigo, but Magazine is excellent. How can you not sing along to"Come Out Clean" or "My Guitar?" Back in my college radio music director days I got in good with their management and got the Buzz EP and the Licorice Tea Demos disc (both of which are collected on The Early Years, I believe).

Think I'll have to pick up Vertigo sometime soon.
Old 06-26-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I had a friend at work (girl) who absolutely adored this band. Never really listened to them myself. Seem to be another college band type of thing. I guess I could be wrong.
Old 06-26-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Jump, Little Children

Originally posted by RoyalTea
I figured that since I really liked Guster, I'd have to check this band out, too.

Downloaded a few tracks, instantly hooked. Went out and bought Vertigo, Magazine and the Early Years.
Wait, wait, wait... back it up... you mean to tell me you illegally downloaded mp3s off the internet, discovered a new band that you liked, then went out and bought 3 CDs of said band? The RIAA is gonna hear about this... and you can bet they won't stand for it.
Old 06-27-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Jump, Little Children

Originally posted by Trigger
Wait, wait, wait... back it up... you mean to tell me you illegally downloaded mp3s off the internet, discovered a new band that you liked, then went out and bought 3 CDs of said band? The RIAA is gonna hear about this... and you can bet they won't stand for it.
Old 06-27-03, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, I mentioned them...I don't know who else to suggest to you if you like them. However, they are from Charleston, S.C. and some of my friends from there say they are great guys.

Good luck on your search for other great bands. Good to see that you're not listening to what clearchannel tells you is music.
Old 06-27-03, 05:27 AM

One of my best friends used to be stationed in Charleston, SC and got into them big time. He got me the Licorice tea demos, Magazine, and now Vertigo-Magazine probably being my favorite. He's gonna have contractions when I tell him about the live DVD I saw them live at The WaveFest a few years ago, they put on a great show, and yes, the ladies did swoon over them. Even my friend's wife got all frothy every time she saw them. Not me, I'll take Kerry King over them any day.
Old 06-27-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I used to live in Charleston, and one of my best friends was a huge fan of theirs. I have the Licorice Tea Demos, Buzz, and Magazine. I tend to prefer their older, somewhat upbeat, acoustic songs. There are a handful of songs on Magazine that I like ("Come Out Clean" and "My Guitar" particularly), but most of that album leaves me flat. I haven't picked up anything of theirs since, but the 'new songs' they debuted in concert I heard around that time struck me as pretty horrid. They do seem to be a band with a predominately female following -- that friend of mine and I were on the Jump Little Children mailing list, and we went to a pre-concert picnic with a bunch of other folks from the list. Going by my exceptionally faulty memory (this was five years ago, I think?), I think there were 15 people there total, and only one other than the two of us was male.
Old 06-27-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Jump, Little Children

Originally posted by Trigger
my problem with mp3s is not "test driving." It's people that download music as a substitute for legally buying the music.

but that's a whole different topic that I don't feel like getting into here.
Old 06-29-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It just me hit me that you should do the following:

Go to the amazon.com, search for Jump, Little Children and click on one of the album titles. It should have a spot on the page that says something to the effect of, "People who bought this album also bought..." That should give you an idea.

I'm assuming you know Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright, Howie Day, etc, etc? I really have NO idea what I was thinking with that Bright Eyes reccommendation. Don't listen to them.
Old 09-22-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just ran across this thread looking for info on JLC, and I wanted to say it's good to know that there are others out there who listen to this band. I went to see them while I was in school (at UGA) on a number of occasions, and it seemed like the fanbase was pretty even.

I have a friend who went to College of Charleston, and she knows some of the guys in the band and says they are all great guys.

As for some info on other bands like them, I'd suggest Ode to Abbey (similar sound, more acoustic I'd say) and maybe some early Josh Joplin Band (not Josh Joplin Group, although that new album is decent). Also, try searching for some Adam Payne Band stuff on the Internet. He's an independent artist from Athens, but his music has a very distinctive sound.
Old 04-19-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wanted to bump this thread b/c JLC's new album is due out on 4/20/04. It's called Between the Dim and the Dark.

Be sure to pick it up if you have a chance. The band is evidently really proud of it, and hopefully this will get their name out there and they can get the respect that is deserved.
Old 04-20-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by reubs82
I wanted to bump this thread b/c JLC's new album is due out on 4/20/04. It's called Between the Dim and the Dark.
Thanks for the heads-up. I dug out Magazine and listened to it a lot over the weekend. Man, that's a great album.
Old 04-20-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by reubs82

Be sure to pick it up if you have a chance. The band is evidently really proud of it, and hopefully this will get their name out there and they can get the respect that is deserved.
except they're not called "Jump, Little Children" anymore.
Old 04-20-04, 05:21 PM

Guster is coming out with a DVD May 18 called Guster on Ice. I can't wait; they are one of my favorite bands and are extrmely nice and funny.
Old 04-20-04, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RoyalTea
except they're not called "Jump, Little Children" anymore.
Some of us aren't new fans, and old habits die hard. Let me clarify for RoyalTea:

JUMP's (formerly known as Jump, Little Children and J,LC) released their new album today. Head over to http://www.jumphq.com for more info.
Old 04-22-04, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Ok, I say some of those of us who've been getting good music recommendations off dvdtalk call in a favor on this one. Off the top of my head, this site's been an influential factor in me giving a chance to Magnetic Fields, Cursive, Brendan Benson, Howie Day, Perfect Circle, Sondre Lerche, Ok Go, Portishead and the Decemberists. Not saying if you love any of these bands that you'll like Jump (, Little Children), but I have a fairly wide taste in music and Vertigo is easily in my top 20 albums of all time (favorites, not necessarily best). If nothing else, check the band out and make up your mind on a purchase decision for yourself. I'd say Between the Dim and the Dark is a very solid album from the 4 or 5 times I've been through it in the last day and a half. Theonion.com has what I consider a spot-on review of the disc in this week's av club. Like them or not, this band's been through a lot to make the music they love. It's worth your time to see if they're your thing.
Old 04-22-04, 06:12 AM

Looking forward to hearing the new CD. I hope they tour in these parts this year, they put on a good show.