Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

anybody else used to like weezer, but no longer?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-03, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Weezer used to be my favorite band, but then they released the Green album. I still had hope with them until Maladroit was released in which I lost all faith. Anyone else this way?
Old 06-23-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I lost all faith after Pinkertown(is that the title?) there second album. Although I have enjoyed their various radio songs(Hash Pipe, Gone Fishin').`
Old 06-23-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I liked them up until the Green Album was released. I listened to it several times, but just seemed like too much of a throwaway album. By the time Maladriot came out, they had already fallen pretty far off my radar. I heard a few songs off it and wasn't too impressed and never even bothered picking it up.

Same thing has occurred for me with Radiohead starting with Kid A.
Old 06-23-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

haven't totally lost faith, but after two rushed and complacent albums, I'm not holding out much hope...At least we still have Blue and Pinkerton...
Old 06-23-03, 11:28 AM

yea, I like blue and Pinkerton a lot. Hopefully they will eventually get back to those days..
Old 06-23-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
The first two discs are great and, unlike a lot of people, I really like the Green album (I'm a sucker for a catchy tune), but didn't care for Maladroit too much. I'd still consider myself a fan, though, I guess.
Old 06-23-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jeraden
Yeah, I liked them up until the Green Album was released. I listened to it several times, but just seemed like too much of a throwaway album. By the time Maladriot came out, they had already fallen pretty far off my radar. I heard a few songs off it and wasn't too impressed and never even bothered picking it up.

Same thing has occurred for me with Radiohead starting with Kid A.
Basically describes my current opinion on Weezer (and on Radiohead for that matter).
Old 06-23-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DJLinus
The first two discs are great and, unlike a lot of people, I really like the Green album (I'm a sucker for a catchy tune), but didn't care for Maladroit too much. I'd still consider myself a fan, though, I guess.

I feel exactly the same way
Old 06-23-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Maladroit happens to be my favorite Weezer album so far, followed by Blue - I didn't care for Pinkerton, or Green too much.
Old 06-25-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Are there any other bands that sound like Weezer did on the blue album? That's one of my favorite albums of all time and I'd like to hear more stuff like that.
Old 06-25-03, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pinkerton is a masterpiece that should not be rivaled (even the b-sides from pinkerton are perfect). I am tired of the Blue album but it is still good, I just haven't listened to it for about 4 years. Green album is the knife in my heart and Maladroit and is the repeated stabs of the knife. I will probably no longer follow Weezer unless Matt joins the band again. BTW, Matt just released a solo ep, has anyone gotten it yet?

Bands like Weezer to check out:
Ozma (Rock N Roll part 3 is really good and Double Donkey Disc has its moments but probably more than their Spending Time on the Borderline)
The Like Young (so far just an ep and a full length, I believe)
and of course,
Matt Sharp's The Rentals (Return of... and Seven More Minutes)
and
That Dog (Be selective on their stuff, listen before buying, their most common lp "Retreat from the Sun" is probably their best.)
Old 06-26-03, 07:22 AM
Banned

Slightly off topic, has anyone seen MATT SHARP on his recent solo tour? I'm planning on going on Friday, and was curious if he has a full band with him, or if it was just him acoustic.
Old 06-26-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The green album is terrific, IMO. "Simple Pages" is probably my favorite Weezer song. It's unclear to me why there was such a backlash against it, it really isn't a departure from their earlier work. Maybe it just sold too many copies.

Maladroit is another story. This is, IMO, a same-y sounding album that almost verges on self-parody. This is a generic Weezeresque album that could have been made by any band from Nada Surf to Ash. I still like it, but it's no Pinkerton.
Old 06-26-03, 01:02 PM
Banned

In order from best to worst, IMO:

1. Pinkerton - You can't go wrong here, every song has such emotion, and every song is GREAT.
2. Blue Album - The album that started it all has lots of classic cuts, but there are a few tracks which I find to be subpar.
3. Green Album - I personally think this album is great, and I don't understand the backlash either...but compared to the first two it's still quite a fall.
4. Maladroit - This album isn't very good, plain and simple.
Old 06-26-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
Are there any other bands that sound like Weezer did on the blue album? That's one of my favorite albums of all time and I'd like to hear more stuff like that.
There's a New Zealand band called "ElemenoP" (like the alphabet song(!) that sounds a lot like blue album era Weezer...except for the accents of course

Check out a sample mp3 from their site...

http://www.elemenop.com/tahoe.mp3
Old 06-26-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Hiro11
The green album is terrific, IMO. "Simple Pages" is probably my favorite Weezer song. It's unclear to me why there was such a backlash against it, it really isn't a departure from their earlier work. Maybe it just sold too many copies.

I agree....Gee, we can't actually have more people start liking their songs....
Old 06-26-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Impossibles album "Enter" has a very Blue Album "Weezer" sound.

I personally liked all the Weezer albums, though I tend to like their 1st two the best.
Old 06-26-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen
That Dog (Be selective on their stuff, listen before buying, their most common lp "Retreat from the Sun" is probably their best.)
I don't think they sound all that much like Weezer, but I adore that dog., and I would without a moment's hesitation consider "Retreat from the Sun" to be my all-time favorite album by any band. I am such a sucker for (occasionally) crunchy pop-songs and female vocals.

The Impossibles' "Enter" is a great album, though they seem to struggle a bit with some of those Rivers-ish high notes. I really loved seeing them live...I probably ought to pick up that DVD of theirs at some point.
Old 06-27-03, 01:04 AM

yea I think Ozma definately somewhat sounds like Weezer, also Pat's band isn't too bad Special Goodness...
Old 06-27-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
If you like Weezer then check Jason Falkner, Fountains Of Wayne and Owsley . Alot more melodious and none of them have a nervous breakdown every 6 weeks like Rivers Cuomo does.
Old 06-27-03, 01:17 PM
Suspended

I kinda lost interest after the Blue album, which is a great album.