Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help with obscure song ID (techno/funk, circa 1979)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, really obscure. But I heard it a few weeks ago at a local pizza joint, and it's been on my mind since - brought back childhood memories. This will probably be a real challenge for the DVDT Music Talk brain trust, but here goes...

It's basically a five-minute-long techno/funk piece with few lyrics. The main instrument, per se, seems to be an electric somethingorother that sounds, for lack of a better description, like the main sound in the Knight Rider theme song. It fades in and out as the song progresses, but the only other noticeable instrument is just a standard, no-frills drum. Finally, there's a woman singing somewhat wordlessly throughout, though she often seems to say something along the lines of "don't you..." and then goes back to wordless singing.

Now, I think I remember it being on the radio, but it's so long ago that I could be wrong.

Any guesses? I'll be massively impressed (and grateful!) if you guys can nail this one!

- David Stein
Old 06-16-03, 11:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Not sure if this is the right song or not....but could it be called...."Funky Town" ? Starts off something like:

Darlin if you move to a time that's right for me.....

That was the first line I believe. Very techno. Even the voice was hard to understand when I first heard it. Is that it?

Christina

Last edited by Coupon_Queen; 06-16-03 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-17-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
try this..

Click on Disc Two, Track 15

"Don't You Want Me" by Felix.
Old 06-17-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nah, it's neither of those. Thanks for the efforts, though.

Coupon_Queen: That's a pretty well-known track, and it's got quite a lot of lyrics (even if they're hard to understand.) In the track I have in mind, the woman signing isn't really signing any words at all, except for a few limited instances.

Rogue588: Tried that - no, it's way too... funky. The track I'm thinking of is more electric in nature.

The challenge is still open! C'mon, people, this is driving me nuts

- David Stein
Old 06-17-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
so...the only lyrics are "don't you"..?
Old 06-17-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Don't You want Me" by Human League? That's not exactly an obscure song, but it does have that sequencer buzzing in the background.
Old 06-17-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The description of the music sounds like "White Horse" by Laid Back. Great song, and the music does sound a little like the Knight Rider song, with a drum. Unfortunately, there is no woman singing in that song, just a guy going, "If you want to ride, don't ride the white horse".
Old 06-17-03, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Coupon_Queen
Not sure if this is the right song or not....but could it be called...."Funky Town" ? Starts off something like:

Darlin if you move to a time that's right for me.....

That was the first line I believe. Very techno. Even the voice was hard to understand when I first heard it. Is that it?

Christina
The lyric is actually "Gotta make a move to a town that's right for me..."

That town being Funky Town, obviously.
Old 06-17-03, 07:22 PM

What about "Don't Go" by Yazoo - or Yaz as you knew them in the States. There were quite a few lyrics though, and it was 1982 for Yazoo..but it's a guess anyways.....
Old 06-19-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
The description of the music sounds like "White Horse" by Laid Back. Great song, and the music does sound a little like the Knight Rider song, with a drum. Unfortunately, there is no woman singing in that song, just a guy going, "If you want to ride, don't ride the white horse".
Oh yeah, cool song! Thanks for the memory

-Gunshy
Old 06-19-03, 07:31 AM

Originally posted by redhenry
The lyric is actually "Gotta make a move to a town that's right for me..."

That town being Funky Town, obviously.
As I said, I *believed* that was the first line. I was doing it from memory and I believe that memory was of when I was about six years old!!! I was trying to help and sorry is my childhood brain did not retain the correct lyrics (Read, I guess I misunderstood the lyrics!!!!!). It was the wrong song anyway! Sheesh!

Christina
Old 06-20-03, 12:13 AM

As I said, I *believed* that was the first line. I was doing it from memory and I believe that memory was of when I was about six years old!!! I was trying to help and sorry is my childhood brain did not retain the correct lyrics (Read, I guess I misunderstood the lyrics!!!!!). It was the wrong song anyway! Sheesh!

Christina
OK, but I was simply giving you the correct lyric, not having a go! Now when you sing it you can really belt it out.

T
Old 06-20-03, 10:26 PM

OK, but I was simply giving you the correct lyric, not having a go! Now when you sing it you can really belt it out.

T
You weren't having a go at it...but it would seem it was not the best time of the month for me to be reading (or responding to anything!) Didn't mean to take it to heart and thanks for letting me know.

Christina
Old 06-22-03, 08:58 AM

You weren't having a go at it...but it would seem it was not the best time of the month for me to be reading (or responding to anything!) Didn't mean to take it to heart and thanks for letting me know.

Christina
I meant I wasn't having a go at you - sorry about the Aussie slang..it means, as you guessed, that I wasn't trying to berate you, or put you down, or make you feel stupid, or anything.

Glad that you know I wasn't trying to 'have a go'.
Old 06-22-03, 10:48 AM

I meant I wasn't having a go at you - sorry about the Aussie slang..it means, as you guessed, that I wasn't trying to berate you, or put you down, or make you feel stupid, or anything.

Glad that you know I wasn't trying to 'have a go'.
All is well. You are an Aussie, huh? Love the Aussie accent....you can comment on my posts any time!!!!! (good or bad!)

Christina
Old 06-23-03, 10:30 AM

I'll give it a go.
Could it be something by The Art of Noise? Possibly the best baby-making song of all time: Moments in Love? Starts slow, increases in tempo, original version is 10 minutes long.
Old 06-23-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the Aussie accent. You can comment on my posts any time