Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Top 10 best bands/musicians RIGHT NOW!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to copy the same title style, but I wanted this thread to compliment the "worst" thread. Everyone, including myself, is very critical of most of the new bands and musicians, so let us share who we actually like that is current.

1. Audioslave - great rock band with one of best singers of my generation.
2. Evanescence - easily listening metal. They have some really well crafted songs sung by a soothing, yet haunting voice.
3. White Stripes - I hated them at first, but have recently gotten hooked. Short, simple, original songs.
4. Tomahawk - Mike Patton's first easily accessible band since Faith. It may take a while for this band to grow on you.
5. Disturbed - Sure they are depressing, but the singer has a powerful voice..and no rapping!
6. System of a Down - Great modern sound and some crazy lyrics.
7. U2 - Somehow they have stayed new and fresh. One of the greatest bands ever.
8. Shadows Fall - Finally a metal band with guitar solos. Most new metal bands aren't talented enough to wail like this.
9. Lost Prophets - Lyrics are a little more positive than most and they have a cool sound.
10. Sorry, can't think of anymore!

Perhaps people can get turned on to some good new music. Please post your favorites. Thanks.
Old 06-04-03, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. U2
2. Coldplay
3. The Cure
4. New Order
5. Radiohead
6. Interpol
7. Sigur Ros
8. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
9. The Beta Band
10. The White Stripes
Old 06-05-03, 12:37 AM

1. Audioslave
2. Queens of the Stone Age
3. White stripes
4. Foo Fighters
5. Jack Johnson
6. Metallica--New album rocks
Old 06-05-03, 12:52 AM

In no particular order...

1. Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson
2. Devin Townsend
3. Sigur Rós
4. Godspeed You! Black Emperor
5. Mikael Akerfeldt / Opeth
6. Frank Black
7. Dredg
8. Dan Swanö
9. Ben Harper
10. Coldplay
Old 06-05-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Pearl Jam "Present Tense", "Insignificance"
2. U2 "Bad" and "New York"
3. Radiohead "No Surprises" "Pyramid Song"
4. Tool "46 and 2" and "Eulogy"
5. Year of the Rabbit "Rabbit Hole" "Last Defense" "Hunted"
6. Deftones "Minerva" "Be Quiet and Drive" "Passenger
7. Coldplay "Scientist" "Clocks" and "Yellow"
8. Audioslave "Cochise"
9. Queens of the Stone Age "Go With the Flow" "No One Knows"
10. White Stripes "7 Nation Army"

Last edited by Pillowhead; 06-07-03 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Led Zeppelin - disagree? well they just released some new material, so that's a good enough reason for them to be awesome right now, in my book.
2. The Flaming Lips - anyone who hasn't given any of their stuff is doing themselves a great injustice. i made this mistake until recently. awesome band.
3. The White Stripes - like the Dudikoff, i never even considered listening to them until i heard this new album. it's really quite remarkable.
4. Coldplay - very much a breath of fresh air in the stale and formulatic world of pop music.
5. U2 - wondering where they'll go next. they continue to be a great rock band.
6. Pearl Jam - i'd go so far as to call these guys classic rock now. such a good band, and they're very dedicated.
7. David Bowie - love to see him get back on the touring track. "Heathen" was a great return to form for him.
8. Zwan - they seem to be underappreciated. the album is just ok, but the live act is where it's at. a great rock band.
9. Foo Fighters - the new album is pretty bland IMO, but they continue to be a talented hard rocking band. i'll never dislike dave grohl.
10. Queens of the Stone Age - "Songs For The Deaf" is the absolute best hard rock album I've heard in ages.
Old 06-05-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Disturbed
Tool
System of the Down
Audioslave
...yup that's it for me
Old 06-05-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1-Tool
2-Nine Inch Nails
3-Jerry Cantrell
4-Pearl Jam
5-Radiohead

The Rest....

The Mars Volta
Queens of the Stone age
Dredg
Opeth
Tomahawk

No real particular order except the top 5.
Old 06-05-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Jack Johnson
2. Mason Jennings
3. Days of the New
4. Tool
5. Jude
6. Nas
7. CMR
8. Ben Harper
9. STP
10. White Stripes

Last edited by WhattheFFF; 06-05-03 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 05:12 AM

1-Tool
2-Audioslave
3-A Perfect Circle
4-Queens of the Stone Age
5-Radiohead
6-Dredg
7-The White Stripes
8-System of a Down
9-Deftones
10-The Music
Old 06-05-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

In no order...

Wilco
Beck
White Stripes
Tori Amos
Bjork
Lucinda Williams
Johnny Cash
Allison Moorer
Tortoise
Aphex Twin
Julianna Hatfield
(Oops, that's 11. I'll stop now)
Old 06-05-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Radiohead
U2
Beck
They Might Be Giants
Elvis Costello
Evanescence
REM
Rollins BAnd
Barenaked Ladies

I really had to leave off some of my favorite all-time bands who just aren't cutting it right now.
Old 06-05-03, 10:10 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Swanöholic
[B]In no particular order...

1. Porcupine Tree / Steven Wilson
I'm with ya there.

#1 Porcupine Tree
#2 Peter Gabriel
#3 Marillion
#4 RUSH
#5 Spock's Beard (well, SNOW at least. Will have to see what the un-Morse version leads to)
#6 Queensryche (I hope)
#7 Weird Al
#8 Paul McCartney
#9 Flower Kings
#10 King's X
Old 06-05-03, 10:26 AM

Here are my picks:

1.Wilco - In my opinion the best band out there. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is one of the best albums I have heard in years. Definately interested to hear what direction they take on their next album.

2. Mogwai - A 21st century version of Pink Floyd? Well nt quite but darn close. Mogwai have grown to be one of my favorite bands ever. Very diverse and electric. If you like instrumental music that is exciting and different then you will like Mogwai.

3. Radiohead - Nuff said.

4. Sigur Ros - Very comparable to many of Radiohead's mellow songs but . . . they sing in a made up language for a lot of their songs! Trust me, they are excellent.

5. Mercury Rev - Another sonically innovative band (see the connections here ). Their last two albums were amazing (Deserter's Songs and All Is Dream) were amazing and I am looking forward to their next release.

6. Flaming Lips - Another great American band that deserves more attention from its homeland then what it receives.

7. Stephen Malkmus - Ever since Pavement broke up, Malkmus has continued to put out his own special brand of weird prog influenced pop. A great treat to listen to.

8. Zwan (Billy Corgan) - I was not a big fan of Zwan's first album but with the release of a DVD and another album by year's end, I am hoping Corgan can redeem himself. Smashing Pumpkins was / is my favorite band of all time so I am a bit biased here I guess.

9. Teenage Fanclub - There last album came out in 2001. I do not think anyone has ever done power pop better then Teenage Fanclub. Not sure when they are releaseing their next album but I will be there to pick it up whenever they do.

10. Coldplay - Here is a band that has really surprised me from the growth of their songcraft between their last two albums. It will be interesting to see if they can continue to mature with their next album. Btw, IMO, Clocks and The Scientist were two of the best singles put out in years.
Old 06-05-03, 11:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
1. Black Box Recorder - one the few bands who can create a depressing pop song you can dance to. Luke Haines is one of the most underrated song writers around.

2. Hope of the States - the new Godspeed You Black Emperor, Mogwai - epic awe-inspiring music, that is ache-ingly beautiful and brutal the next.

3. British Sea Power - the new Nick Cave/Pulp/Bowie. nuff said

4. Polyphonic Spree - singers who can actually sing and play multiple instruments creating a new uplifting sound and memorable songs.

5. Plaid - the most introspective and captivating electronic music to date. This music was made to listen to headphones by and literally let it bury into your head.

6. David Holmes (Free Association) - give this man an award for not only writing scores to motion pictures, but also redifining soul, funk and dance music

7. Pet Shop Boys - been around 12 years and still making great dance/pop music.

8. Super Furry Animals - unpredictable, and playing a range of genres to brilliant effect: ballad, rock, experimental, techno.

9. Baby Bird/Stephen Jones - Britan's best kept secret, since 1995 and Stephen's band 'Baby Bird' debut album was released redefining indie pop to his solo 2002 release: "A Cure for Sadness".

10. Wannadies - formed in 1990 this is Sweden's answer to the Pixies. Shamelessly ignored and virtually unheard of in the US, (their song: "You and Me" was featured in the film remake of "Romeo and Juliet"). 2002's "Before/After" was hands down one of the best albums of the year.

Last edited by Giles; 06-05-03 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-05-03, 12:20 PM
Suspended

These are my favorites right now:
(in no particular order, except Tool which is #1)

Tool
a perfect circle
Audioslave
Abandoned Pools
Incubus
Filter
Deftones
Metallica
System of a Down
Radiohead
Old 06-05-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
1. Metallica- Their on top right now with their kick ass album just being released.

2. Shadows Fall- Possibly the best non-Metallica metal band right now thats getting play on MTV.

3.Opeth- Their new album was recently released and it was excellent, a must have for Opeth fans. Also an excellent and soft start for non-metal fans.

4.Arch Enemy: Wages of Sin is excellent and they're about to release their new cd. I'm pumped.

5.Andrew WK- yeah you read right. Its great to see a mainstream rock/metal band that makes music about fun and not about how pissed they are and how bad life is. Not to mention that theres a new album on the horizan.

6. Soilwork- Another real metal band that just released an excellent album. These guys along with Arch Enemy and Shadows Fall can really bring true metal to the mainstream.

7. Iron Maiden- With Iron Maiden releasing an album at the end of this year and with thier tour with Motorhead and Dio, metal can possibly own 2003.
Old 06-05-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No particular order

Radiohead
Duncan Sheik
Switchfoot
Belle and Sebastian
Sonic Youth
Sigur Ros
Kronos Quartet
Tom Waits
Wilco
Elvis Costello
Old 06-05-03, 02:06 PM

Thanks everyone for posting. This is the first thread I've ever started in here and I'm happy to see you guys participated. I'm going to check out some of these bands right now.
Old 06-05-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
My faves right now:

Aislers Set
Deathray Davies
Sleater-Kinney
Clinic
The Rapture
Polyphonic Spree
Beulah
Black Box Recorder
The Clientele
Supergrass
Old 06-05-03, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by WhattheFFF
2. Mason Jennings
wow! i can't believe somebody besides me put him on their list!! where'd you hear of him?

my lisht:
1. Radiohead - w/o a doubt, the best musicians in the world, currently (in my mind)

2. The Slackers - they just rock... and steadily, at that! (rocksteady, get it? ha ha... lame joke, i know)

3. Mason Jennings - he's just super talented (and, IMO, blows J. Johnson out of the water with distinction)!

4. The Cardigans - I don't know if they really count as they are not touring and they just sort of come together now and then to make a record... although, they did just release one... so...

5. blur - depending on the song... heh heh... i REALLY like some of their new songs... but quiet dislike others... i guess i just need to see them live..

6. Neil Young - again, depending on the song. i actually quite like a lot of "Are You Passionate?" plus, "Silver and Gold" was also really good... and (okay, this isn't recent in any sense) "Philadelphia" happens to be one of the best songs ever written in my book... it's so heart-breakingly good.

i cannot think right now.. i think i'll leave it at that, for now..
-di doctor-
Old 06-05-03, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Phish - I've been a fan for quite a while, and I really like the fairly new direction they're taking.

Old 97's/Rhett Miller - Great lyrics, energetic music. These guys come as close as anyone to doing no wrong.

Polyphonic Spree - The Flaming Lips meet Pink Floyd meet a church choir. How can you go wrong.

The Flaming Lips - While we're on the subject of the Polyphonic Spree...

DJ Shadow - Turned turntablism into an art form.

The Roots - Proved that rap doesn't have to be dependent on samplers. Plus, Phrenology kicks ass.

moe. - The jamband that people who hate jambands should be able to love...

Wilco - They've fallen a bit for me (personally, I like Being There and Summerteeth more than YHF), but they're still making wonderful music.

The Shins - If they're next album is half as good as Oh, Inverted World, it'll still be absolutely amazing.

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Way more relevant than anyone has ever given them credit for.
Old 06-05-03, 03:15 PM

COLDPLAY
foo fighters
Audioslave
Old 06-05-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) Iron Maiden
2) Rob Zombie
3) Anthrax
4) Judas Priest
5) Halford
6) Black Label Society
7) Jackyl
8) Ted Nugent
9) Motorhead
10) Ozzy Osbourne
Old 06-05-03, 06:39 PM

In no particular order:

1. Radiohead
2. The Delgados
3. Interpol
4. Belle and Sebastian
5. The Roots
6. Blackalicious
7. Le Tigre
8. Ted Leo/Pharmacists
9. The White Stripes
10. Sleater-Kinney

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.