Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

eels "Shootenany"

Old 05-30-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

eels "Shootenany"

I know there's a few eels fans on the board. Has anyone heard anything from this disc yet? I had no idea there was a new album coming out til I received an email from their mailing list today.

Apparently, it's supposed to be much more lighthearted than Electro-Shock Blues and Souljacker, which is good. Electro-Shock Blues is one of my favorite albums, but the depression on that disc is very real. E deserves a bit of happiness in his life...
Old 05-30-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

4 star review from "Rolling Stone".

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/...sp?aid=2046625

Some previews of new songs are available on the band's website, but I haven't had a chance to listen to them, yet.

jim
Old 06-03-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It got a B+ from "Entertainment Weekly".

I got out of work late today, so I didn't get a chance to pick it up. I'll get it tomorrow.

Any opinions on it yet?

jim
Old 06-06-03, 12:45 PM

I picked it up on our honeymoon. I had a chance to listen to it on the way back home, and I like it right now. Normally, their cds have to grow on me, so I'm thinking I will like it more after I listen to it several times.

Did you see Eels on Leno last night? butch and the other two were dressed in all red, and E was wearing a khaki-colored shirt. I think it was a dig on the White Stripes. Very funny, and right up E's alley.
Old 06-17-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Penny Lane

Did you see Eels on Leno last night? butch and the other two were dressed in all red, and E was wearing a khaki-colored shirt. I think it was a dig on the White Stripes. Very funny, and right up E's alley.
saw it. sounded pretty good, but my brother-in-law thought their outfits were stupid. I informed it was a White Stripes spoof and all was well.
Old 06-17-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've listened to "Shootenany" 4 or 5 times and like it quite a bit. Your mileage may vary as I don't like the Eels albums in the same order as many others do...

My top 5 from favorite to least favorite....

(1) Daisies of the Galaxy
(2) Shootenany
(3) Soul Jacker
(4) Electro-Shock Blues
(5) Beautiful Freak
Old 06-18-03, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet
I've listened to "Shootenany" 4 or 5 times and like it quite a bit. Your mileage may vary as I don't like the Eels albums in the same order as many others do...

My top 5 from favorite to least favorite....

(1) Daisies of the Galaxy
(2) Shootenany
(3) Soul Jacker
(4) Electro-Shock Blues
(5) Beautiful Freak
While I like all their albums quite a bit, my list does look quite different from yours...

1. Electro-Shock Blues
2. Daisies of the Galaxy
3. Beautiful Freak
4. Shootenanny!
5. Oh, What a Beautiful Morning!
6. Souljacker
Old 06-18-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going to see the Eels tonight (6/18).

I'll report back tomorrow.

(BTW, my favorite album is Souljacker)
Old 06-18-03, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
saw it. sounded pretty good, but my brother-in-law thought their outfits were stupid. I informed it was a White Stripes spoof and all was well.
What else do you think it could have been? That's all I could come up with.
Old 06-18-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What else do you think it could have been? That's all I could come up with.
do you think I was doubting your statement that they were spoofing White Stripes?

I was not-I thought the same thing when I saw them.
Old 06-18-03, 11:26 PM

do you think I was doubting your statement that they were spoofing White Stripes?

I was not-I thought the same thing when I saw them.
No way. I thought you agreed with me, but then you said (was it your brother?) someone thought it was stupid until you mentioned the White Stripes. If it was poking fun, it was very subtle, so I was thinking there could be other possibilities.
Old 06-19-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay,

It was a pretty good show. The Galaxy's fairly small and it's pretty easy to scootch up to the stage, so I was right there not 5 feet from E.
They played for a tad under two hours and they played a good cross-section of songs from every album. The new album and Electroshock got the most coverage, with Souljacker getting the least. They were definitly "harder" and "heavier" live. Songs like Novacane, among others, got the hard-rock treatment - think almost Led Zeppelin. Lots of crunching and feedback guitars. I liked it like this as it gave the material more balls. E was definitly having a good time.
The band was dressed in the reds w/ E in the khaki shirt - I really don't think they're trying to poke fun at the White Stripes - I think it's just their stage look for this tour - no more, no less.
If you get a chance, go. It was well worth it
Old 06-19-03, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No way. I thought you agreed with me, but then you said (was it your brother?) someone thought it was stupid until you mentioned the White Stripes. If it was poking fun, it was very subtle, so I was thinking there could be other possibilities.
sorry I'm totally confused here.

My brother-in-law said he thought the suits looked dumb and I told him it looked like a joke that was spoofing the White Stripes.
Old 06-20-03, 10:09 AM

sorry I'm totally confused here.

My brother-in-law said he thought the suits looked dumb and I told him it looked like a joke that was spoofing the White Stripes.
I just hope it really is a joke. Otherwise, I think it's pretentious and silly.