Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Janet Jackson CD on its way...in March 2004?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Janet Jackson CD on its way...in March 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Janet Jackson CD on its way...in 2004?

Janet Jackson Recording 'Hard-Hitting Dance Music' For New LP

"She's just really on some cutting edge, hard-hitting dance music and I think you are going to be really surprised."producer 7 Aurelius

NEW YORK — If you're wondering when Janet Jackson will hit the music scene again, look toward sometime in 2004. One of her longtime producers, Jimmy Jam, says that's probably the most logical timetable for Miss Jackson to drop her latest LP.

"The record is really in its infancy, which means that we've done probably six or seven songs," Jam said of the album last week. "There is no distinct musical style yet. It's all over the place, from songs that I would call classic Janet songs, meaning that they could've been on any of her [earlier] albums. Some of the songs have a definite sort of ambient quality to them. We've been listening to a lot of everything from Zero 7 to Télépopmusik, [so] there's a little bit of that. There's some house stuff, which there always is [on her albums]. There is going to be some more guitar-flavored things.

"It's kind of the way [her] albums always start," he added. "There's not a clear direction yet. We see what sticks. We're doing a bunch of songs and seeing what we like. We've already thrown some [songs] out. It's sort of still the discovery process. We're not going to [put the album out] till next year most likely anyway. We've been working in New York the past couple of weeks, we're going to work in L.A., in Miami, we're probably going to work in Minneapolis. So I think the music will take on different elements as we take on different environments and work with different people."

Jam said that since they do not expect to put the album out until next year, they can work at a leisurely pace and really focus on penning good lyrics.

"The approach we're taking is that we're trying to write really good songs and worry about the production later," Jam said, "because production is one of those things you want to be up-to-date [on], cutting edge. The way we produce a record now isn't necessarily how we'll produce a record six months from now. That's how fast things change. But the song, if [the lyrics are] great, is gonna be timeless and work."

So just what is Janet going to be singing about when we hear the project? Whatever comes to mind.

"Her albums are always what she's thinking at the moment," Jam said. "Her thoughts may change six months from now. Her biggest thing is to be honest with her fans. Whatever stuff she wants to talk about, it's coming from her heart. I anticipate that we'll be working on the record for the next three to four months. Then we'll have a direction and finish it off. The record will be done by the end of the year and [will] probably come out next year. If we felt we had something strong enough as a single, I would guess we could have a single out before the end of the year and the album at the beginning of next year."

Jam said it's too early to discuss Janet's collaborations with people other than him and partner Terry Lewis. Producer 7 Aurelius has said that his handiwork may pop up on the album as well.

"Expect the unexpected, man," said 7. "Really, she's totally an amazing artist, and I love the fresh, envelope-pushing vibe she brings to the table. She's just really on some cutting edge, hard-hitting dance music, and I think you are going to be really surprised. You should be excited. It's going to be crazy."

Besides Janet, Jam and Lewis are also working on music for "The Fighting Temptations" movie soundtrack as well as upcoming albums for Mya and Patti LaBelle.
Old 06-01-03, 03:43 PM

Well after the lack of singles released from All For You I am glad to see this album will take longer to come together. She needs another singles strong album like RN and janet. were and has not had one for years. I look forward to the new release and tour. As much as she says she doesn't want to tour she will.
Old 01-26-04, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
According to a spokesperson at Virgin, Janet Jackson's new studio album has been given a Mar. 30th. release date. It is currently unknown if Jackson will debut any of her new material at the Super Bowl half-time show.
Old 01-28-04, 11:15 PM

Reports currently state that she will perform "Rhythm Nation" and "All For You" during the halftime. It seems kind of a missed opportunity not to use it to give fans a taste of new material, but she was still recording as recently as last week, according to Dallas Austin, who was producing some of the tracks. First single is rumored to be called "Love Me For A Little While," but there's no firm date for when it will start impacting radio. Hopefully, the March 30th date for the album will stick, but it's already changed twice recently.
Old 01-29-04, 07:04 AM

Love Me For A Little While is already floating around on the internet. Very reminiscent of "Dirty Mind" and "1999" - era Prince...
Old 02-11-04, 04:44 PM

New Janet Jackson Song Spreads Like Wildfire!

“Just A Little While,” a new song from the highly anticipated upcoming Janet Jackson album DAMITA JO, has created a firestorm of interest, starting in the U.S. and quickly spreading throughout the world. Although not officially chosen by the record company as the first single, the unauthorized Internet download of the track has created hysteria, from radio programmers to consumers to Janet’s rabid fans. Due to the overwhelming demand and downloading of the single, the infectious song, co-written and produced by proven hitmaker Dallas Austin, was digitally distributed to radio stations all over the world Monday February 2nd at 7 AM EST.

The song’s release comes on the heels of Janet’s triumphant return to the spotlight with her performance as the featured artist at today’s Super Bowl XXXVIII, where she headlined the spectacular halftime show.

DAMITA JO finds Janet once again working with the hitmaking production team of Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis, who have produced every one of her albums since the 1986 breakthrough, Control. The new album also features writer/producers Austin (known for hits with Boyz II Men, Madonna, TLC, and many others); Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds (Toni Braxton, Aretha Franklin, Eric Clapton); Rich Harrison (whose credits include Beyonce’s “Crazy in Love” and Amerie); and hot newcomer Kanye West. DAMITA JO will be released on March 30th.

Choose your player below and listen for yourself!

Listen WM Listen REAL
Old 02-11-04, 07:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i heard that shit on the radio. Probably the worst song I have ever heard released as a single. That was amazingly bad, and she usually has catchy singles.
Old 02-12-04, 01:59 AM

Such insightful commentary...

I guess she really put one over on those lunkheads over at Billboard:

Janet Jackson knows how to make a great single. Her latest, "Just a Little While," is another immediate radio hit. The track was leaked to the Internet at the end of January, and while Virgin maintains it did not choose it as the lead single (from the artist's new album), there isn't any reason why "Just a Little While" won't be a smash. The song is supported by guitars reminiscent of "Dirty Mind"-era Prince, new wave synths and the kind of swirling musicality that could garner it multiformat success. In signature fashion, Jackson crafts lyrics that are innocent on the surface yet naughty upon closer inspection. Yes, Miss Jackson is talking about sex, plain and simple. This is the first preview of the artist's eighth studio album, "Damita Jo," due March 30.—KC

But what the hell do they know about music anyway?
Old 02-19-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A new J track, called "I Want You" and produced by Kanye West, can be found HERE.

That's the OFFICIAL Virgin link. If it's not working, try HERE.
Old 02-20-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
No boob = no sale.
Old 02-20-04, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Streamed "Just a Little While." It's OK but not a hit single like "All for You." It has a nice guitar lick. Problems downloading the other track.
Old 02-20-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Actually, I didn't care much for "All For You" [the song]. Now, if you had said "It's OK but not a hit single like "Someone To Call My Lover." -- them's fightin' words.

As far as the other track, if you'd like, I could send it to ya. It's about 9m. And to be honest, I really don't care for it too much [compared to "Just A Little While"].
Old 02-21-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We can fight then because many of her songs are better than "Someone to call my lover."

9MB is too big. Thanks Rogue though. I'm more of a casual JJ fan. I did go to her Rhythm Nation concert way back when though.

Last edited by big whoppa; 02-21-04 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-21-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, both the files are down.

Not a huge Janet fan but would love to hear what Kanye West has cooked up for her with "I want you".

Last edited by the aftermath; 02-21-04 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 10:05 AM

Both singles are available to stream on her website now. http://www.janet-jackson.com/newsingles.html
I like them both, and they're each a bit different from what I was expecting from her, which isn't a bad thing at all.
Old 02-26-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I downloaded the Kanye track, very nice