Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The One&Only [pre-release] Metallica / 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The One&Only [pre-release] Metallica / 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm not sure how Best Buy, Target, etc. will be handling this. Will they give the price that is going to be in the ad, even though the ad is not out yet?
Old 06-02-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
I'm not sure how Best Buy, Target, etc. will be handling this. Will they give the price that is going to be in the ad, even though the ad is not out yet?
My question, too. If they WILL honor next week's advertised price, I'll be picking this up on Thursday. Target is conveniently about 3 minutes from my doorstep.
Old 06-02-03, 12:50 PM
Suspended

**** yeah!!

where's that dancing bannana when you need it!!
Old 06-02-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally posted by Jippy
My question, too. If they WILL honor next week's advertised price, I'll be picking this up on Thursday. Target is conveniently about 3 minutes from my doorstep.
It should/will be at $9.99 even on THURSDAY... It has happened before with BB and they have kept it at SALE PRICE... Don't know about TARGET and CC, but they'll probably be the same...
Old 06-02-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from [METALLICA.COM]

NEW RELEASE DATE FOR ST. ANGER | 06/02/2003
Can't wait 8 more days till the release of St. Anger? Well neither can we!! The NEW St. Anger day is now 5 days early, Thursday June 5th, worldwide!! (Japan on June 6th) That's all you really wanted to know right? Good!! Here is the official press release (snooze fest) below:

METALLICA TO RELEASE MUCH ANTICIPATED ST. ANGER FIVE DAYS EARLY
New York, NY - Due to the unprecedented level of anticipation and the prevalence of sub-standard versions of Metallica's upcoming, St. Anger, already in circulation, Elektra Records has moved up the release date of the new album, from Tuesday, June 10, to Thursday, June 5.

Elektra and Metallica have taken this extraordinary measure to ensure that counterfeit copies of the band's first studio album in six years do not proliferate in the marketplace. Metallica unanimously approved the move, guaranteeing that fans get first crack at hearing the acclaimed disk the way the band intended: Loud and unadulterated.

A spokesperson for Elektra indicates that this is a rare exception to standard release policy for the label, pointing out that demand for the new Metallica album warrants every measure be undertaken to prevent unauthorized leaks of St. Anger. In the past year, superstar artists such as Eminem and 50 Cent have both moved up their respective release dates to stem illegal piracy. Metallica is the first rock band to move up a release to counter the spread of unauthorized copies. According to noted magazine's Spin and Blender, Metallica followers will be ecstatic to hear St. Anger the way the band intended. Says Spin: 'This is the album Metallica lifers have been waiting for: an inspired return to the complex savagery of old.' Blender raves: 'Once again their music is about bringing the carnage...whiplash time shifts and thrash guitar evoke prime Metallica.'

In other overtures to fans, Metallica has conjured up a slew of unique activities and promotions to celebrate the release of their 10th album, St. Anger.

The band has crafted a DVD Treasure Hunt for fans hungry for Metallica performances of new material. The first ever-online music promotion of its kind, the Treasure Hunt coincides with Metallica's recent announcement that they would be including a unique live performance DVD as an added component of the disk. The performance features the group playing all of St. Anger's songs live in '****** 5.1 sound.' Metallica's Treasure Hunt will include every track from the DVD, each streamed to a different site - not necessarily affiliated with music - so that fans will have to hunt for the rare performances themselves. Clues to finding the hidden 'treasures' will be made available on Metallica's website, www.Metallica.com. The DVD Treasure Hunt is set to kickoff on June 3.

The legendary group, who were recently named MTV Icons by the music channel with a special all-star tribute show broadcast on May 6, will also be providing a special digital access pass to every one who purchases the St. Anger CD, granting entry into a Metallica vault of unreleased live performances by the band. The promotion, hosted in conjunction with independent broadband provider Speakeasy, provides each record buying user with a unique access number contained in the CD packaging that entitles the purchaser to log on to www.Metallicavault.com, punch in their number and enter a digital vault filled with Metallica live gems.

The group recently offered a rare opportunity for fans to see Metallica play live in an intimate theatre setting in one of rock's most historic venues, San Francisco's famous Fillmore. Lucky members of Metallica's fan club won tickets to the once-in-a-lifetime free concert series, which took place to rave reviews on May 18, 19, 21 and 22. Metallica will kick off their much-anticipated Summer Sanitarium Tour in June, featuring Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Deftones and Mudvayne.

Yahoo.com has also named Metallica Launch Artist Of The Month for June. Yahoo's Artist Of The Month Page is accessed over two million times during the month, and will give Metallica fans an up-close glimpse of the band via unique and comprehensive content, including exclusive interviews, a complete video retrospective, and a rare, live, in-studio performance, among other features.

Metallica also staged an extremely rare performance while making the video for the first clip from their album, the title track from St. Anger. The group performed in front of inmates at San Quentin Prison, all part of an 18 hour shoot for the new clip, directed by the Molloy brothers ( Limp Bizkit, Foo Fighters, among others) and featuring the band in all their hellacious glory. Among the songs the band performed for the inmates were 'For Whom The Bell tolls,' 'Fade To Black,' and 'One.'
Old 06-02-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ST. ANGER TREASURE HUNT | 06/02/2003

Can't wait to get your fix of "St. Anger??" Is June 5th just too far away? Well, here's a way for you to satisfy your cravings now. Starting tomorrow, June 3, eleven web sites around the world will be streaming one song each from the upcoming DVD release of "St. Anger" recorded live at Metallica H.Q. but, you'll have to work to find those sites.
Clues for each site are below and you'll know when you found the right site because you will see the following banner (or one like it) when you get there. Remember, the clips won't be posted until June 3, so you won't see the banners just yet.

No more hints - only the clues below. Happy hunting!!

Site 1:
- This company is the MVP of Maddeningly great sports video games

Site 2:
- Your Gates-way to the hottest new music and music news

Site 3:
- Where new music blasts off

Site 4:
- The sumo wrestler of websites

Site 5:
- Where music, movies, technology, contests and more are synthesized into something net. Oops, we mean something new.

Site 6:
- Highly toxic radio south of the border

Sire 7:
- Germanic Icon makers

Site 8:
- Same as the U.S. video game site, but Down Under

Site 9:
- Le ringtones et Le logos

Site 10:
- This magazine/site name rhymes with twang

Site 11:
- "." music

from [METALLICA.COM]
Old 06-02-03, 01:52 PM

Even though the first single is one of the worst songs Ive ever heard in my life...I will still pick up this disc. I have every other Metallica release so I might as well...
Old 06-02-03, 01:58 PM

I would think they'd pretty much have to. Otherwise, they'd have a bunch of pricematches at the customer service desk on Tuesday.

I wonder how fast this will spread via word of mouth, advertising, etc., b/c a few places around here in Cleveland are (or WERE, rather) having midnight sales on Monday (they sometimes have pizza, DJs, giveaways, etc.) - they're going to have to scurry around to get the word out to those thinking about stopping by for the midnight sale who might not hear about this new date otherwise.
Old 06-02-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I wonder if the stores are even going to get the cd's on time.
Old 06-02-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wonder if the stores are even going to get the cd's on time.
who knows they probably had them since last week.
Old 06-02-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Frantic - copyright Metallica/Elektra Music Group

If I could have my wasted days back
I'd use them to get back on track
Tried to warn
Karma's burning
Look ahead but keep on turning
Do I have the strength to know how I'll go?
Can I find it inside to do what I should have known?
Can I have my wasted days back?
I'd use them to get back on track

You live it or lie it
You live it or lie it
You live it or lie it
You live it or lie it

My lifestyle determines my deathstyle

Keep searching
Keep on searching
This search goes on
This search goes on
Keep searching
Keep on searching
This search goes on
On and on

Frantic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-tic-toc

I want out of always being afraid
In this stream of fear that I've made
Treading water full of worry
Frantic-tic-tic-tic-toc of hurry
Can I have out of always being afraid?
In this stream of fear that I've made

You live it or lie it
You live it or lie it
You live it or lie it
You live it or lie it

Keep searching
Keep on searching
This search goes on
On and on
Keep searching
Keep on searching
This search goes on
On and on

(Life is pain)
Rising tide pushes to the other side
(Life is pain)
(Life is pain)
Rising tide pushes to the other side
(It's all the same)

Keep searching
Keep on searching
This search goes on
On and on
Keep searching
Keep on searching
This search goes on
On and on

Old 06-02-03, 06:03 PM
Suspended

Maybe someone knows this? Are those remastered gold cd versions of Ride the Lightning & Master of Puppets still available anywhere?
Old 06-02-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-02-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
Maybe someone knows this? Are those remastered gold cd versions of Ride the Lightning & Master of Puppets still available anywhere?
I don't believe they are, I imagine they'll see DVD-audio some day [fingers crossed].
Old 06-02-03, 08:27 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by db27
I don't believe they are, I imagine they'll see DVD-audio some day [fingers crossed].
I did a search on these gold cd's and this came up, so there might be some hope!

http://www.encycmet.biz/news/2002-03-17b.shtml
Old 06-02-03, 09:44 PM
Suspended

http://greencup.elektra.com/synthesis.abenhrfb/
mms://demand.stream.aol.com/wmg/us/eeg/gc/msn/300.wmv

Last edited by MJKTool; 06-02-03 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone needs to keep a list of those sites with the songs on them.
Old 06-03-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ST. ANGER SINGLES | 06/02/2003

Here's the real deal on a couple of singles coming out in Europe and Japan. They are outtakes from the sessions we did for the Ramones tribute record and some of 'em are pretty rough. We even included the video for "St.Anger" for you!

CD 1
"St. Anger" (album version)
"Commando"
"Today Your Love, Tomorrow The World"

CD 2
"St. Anger" (Video)
"Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue"
"Cretin Hop"

7-inch
A-side: "St. Anger"
B-side: "We're A Happy Family"

The Japanese single will include all the tracks on one cd, but will not have the St. Anger video.

We'll give you more details later, but thought you might like to know what songs are coming out.

[METALLICA.COM]
Old 06-03-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joeboo835
Someone needs to keep a list of those sites with the songs on them.

ripped this from the club, should be up soon! i'm gonna wait till thursday, plus i gotta work 12 hours today,tomorrow, anyhow.

enjoy, these are prolly right, but no guarantees.

-----

Frantic - http://www.kerrang.com

St. Anger - http://launch.yahoo.com/destinations...ons/metallica/

Some Kind of Monster - http://www.heavy.com

Dirty Window - http://www.mtv.de

Invisible Kid - www.radioactivo.com.mx/

My World - http://greencup.elektra.com/synthesis.abenhrfb/300.asx

Shoot Me Again - http://greencup.elektra.com/easports.ehenwyuj/300.asx

Sweet Amber - ?

Unnamed Feeling - http://www.easports.com.au/

Purify - http://www.dotmusic.com/

All Within My Hands - mms://demand.stream.aol.com/wmg/us/eeg/gc/msn/300.wmv
Old 06-03-03, 07:38 AM

Well, its finally here, its landed on my desk... and it ROCKS! 'Nuff said.
Old 06-03-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

just to confirm... TARGET, BEST BUY and CIRCUIT CITY next week ad has ST. ANGER for $9.99, so they should honor that price on THURSDAY.
Old 06-03-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I just got done listening to the CD (I won't say where I got it from just so I don't break any rules in this forum).

I don't like it... and I'm an old school Metallica fan. This CD has so many problems with it, I don't even know where to start. This is not the Metallica we've grown up to love... this new sound is very 'radio friendly' and should do very well with the FM stations that play Linkon Park/Stained aall day long. The lyrics are not up to what we've come to expect from James and crew. Many of them are just plain laughable.

"Court is in session and I'll slam my gavel down"
"I'm judge, and i'm jury, and I'm executioner too"
"Projectooooooor"
"Protectooooooor"
"Rejectoooooooor"
"Infectoooooooor"
"Projectooooooor"
"Rejector, Infector, Injector, Defector, Rejector"

Also, what's up with songs that are over 8 minutes long that don't even have a solo in them? Some of the songs are just too drawn out. Lars and his snare drum have too much of a 'tin' sound to them.

Don't get your hopes up too high, this CD might just let you down.

Give me Kill em' All, Ride the Lightning, or even Master of Puppets over this cd any day of the week.
Old 06-03-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Keyser Soze

I don't like it... and I'm an old school Metallica fan. This CD has so many problems with it, I don't even know where to start. This is not the Metallica we've grown up to love... this new sound is very 'radio friendly' and should do very well with the FM stations that play Linkon Park/Stained aall day long. The lyrics are not up to what we've come to expect from James and crew. Many of them are just plain laughable.

Give me Kill em' All, Ride the Lightning, or even Master of Puppets over this cd any day of the week.
so after reading [again and again] these parts, then I'm convinced that I'm gonna love this cd...
Old 06-04-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How's the production? From the video I've seen of St Anger, it's ALL drums (horribly sounding too!) and vocals.

Are there any guitars on the album at all? I'm hoping the crappy production is just for "St. Anger" since that's the single.

I'm not trying to troll... Just a long time fan from '83 who loves guitars. I think Bob Rock is a GREAT producer, but after seeing the video, I think he spent too much time playing the bass and forgot to turn some knobs while recording the CD!
Old 06-04-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
... I think he spent too much time playing the bass and forgot to turn some knobs while recording the CD!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.