Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The One&Only [pre-release] Metallica / 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The One&Only [pre-release] Metallica / 'St. Anger' Discussion/News Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot me again had a Alice in Chains vibe then James started talking at the chorus. I did notice a little Lincoln park vibe through out it the cd. Thats not necessarily a bad thing, I will just have to listen to it for a couple of weeks to let it sink in.

There are alot of cd's I was not sure about when I first heard them but after a while really liked them.
Old 06-04-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Just talked to a guy at Best Buy...

They WILL have the 9.99 price tomorrow

The store I was just in was playing the CD over the intercom already
Old 06-04-03, 03:36 PM
Banned

i posted this on the review thread of st. anger, but i picked up the cd today at lunch in nyc. pretty good so far.
Old 06-04-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
[AOL NEWS]
Metallica site rolls out game, free music
By Chris Marlowe

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Metallica, the most vocal of the recording artists against Napster, is giving away hours of music to its fans.

That's just one in a package of initiatives that include a video game from Vivendi Universal Games, a new album, an international tour and a broadband destination for all things Metallica.

The hard rock band's video game deal grants Vivendi Universal Games exclusive multiyear worldwide rights to what will be a combat action game. Due for release by early 2005, it will be designed with input from Jeff Darrow, the conceptual artist on the "Matrix" trilogy.

According to Luc Vanhal, president and chief operating officer of Vivendi Universal Games, the as-yet-untitled game "has the ideas and the inspiration and the identity of the band behind it."

He said the "St. Anger" CD package will include a teaser clip from the game and that Metallica will be showing a game trailer before each of the group's live performances.

"This is the first partnership of its kind, and I think it shows the way that a video game company and a musical artist can work together," Vanhal said.

Band members will not appear in the game, but their voices will be key elements, and Metallica will also record an exclusive single and video that will be included.

The band's new online presence is scheduled to launch Thursday, the same day its Elektra Records release "St. Anger" becomes available at retail.

The highly anticipated CD, Metallica's first in five years, is being released five days early to address piracy concerns after its contents began appearing illegally on Web sites in several countries.

Metallica Vault (www.metallicavault.com) was created in partnership with the independent Internet service provider Speakeasy. Fans who own "St. Anger" or the future video game will be able to access exclusive content after registering with a unique identifying number found on a package insert.

Metallica has never granted a license to any of the online music services, nor has it made its music available over the Internet through any other method before this.

"We've always wanted our fans to experience our music online," Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich said. "But up until now, the existing distribution methods have not passed the kind of quality standards our fans have come to expect from us."

Ulrich handpicked the seven hours of rare and unreleased material that the site will offer initially, which includes 60 live performance selections, though the long-term plan is to include more than 100 hours.

"This is the answer we came up with for getting free music to the band's fans," said Bob Pfeifer of entertainment consulting company Segnana Inc., which worked on the project. "The Napster issue was never about the money. It was only ever about maintaining quality and artistic control."

All of the tracks will be downloadable MP3 files, burnable to disc and completely portable.

Metallica's tour starts June 6 in Nuremberg, Germany. Dubbed the Summer Sanitarium Tour, it will reach the United States on July Fourth and keep Metallica on the road until Aug. 24.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Old 06-04-03, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
How's the production? From the video I've seen of St Anger, it's ALL drums (horribly sounding too!) and vocals.

Are there any guitars on the album at all? I'm hoping the crappy production is just for "St. Anger" since that's the single.

I'm not trying to troll... Just a long time fan from '83 who loves guitars. I think Bob Rock is a GREAT producer, but after seeing the video, I think he spent too much time playing the bass and forgot to turn some knobs while recording the CD!
Well... after listening to it a few times, I think it could have been much better. Their is way too much of Lars, his and his snare drum for this fan. Most of the tracks on the CD just don't do it for me. I found myself looking at my winamp window time and time again, wondering how much more time till the next track. Too many times the tracks feel long and drawn out. Most of the songs just sound like one large jam session with lyrics sprinkled over it. There are some good guitar riffs on a few tracks, but even those tracks start getting old after you've hit the 5-minute mark. Remember.... there are no solos on this album. Some will like that, some will hate it.

Don't get me wrong... I really wanted to like this cd. Hell, I use to shoot pictures for the band when James and company back in the "Kill em All" and "Ride the Lightning" days. I have hundreds of pictures of them when they use to play "The Stone" out here in S.F. I even have pictures of them jamming at some of their after parties over at Cliff's apartment in Casto Valley. I knew the guys pretty well back in the day... this cd was just a shock to my system.

Give it a listen and see what you think of the CD on Thursday, don't take my word for it. I do think this CD will be a let down for many old school Metallica fans, even though mainstream radio will eat this crap up.

After listening to the CD a few times I've decided that Metallica really want to be the next Korn.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 06-04-03 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
[B

After listening to the CD a few times I've decided that Metallica really want to be the next Limp Bizkit. [/B]
There is NO resemblece to Limp on this, you are out of your mind.
Old 06-04-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OH my GOD!

This CD is SOOOOOOOOO GOOD, everyone broke street date in town, I'm only into track 7 and I'm just BLOWN away, it's totally destroyed my expectations thus far!!

This is the CD that I've been waiting for.

I'll detail a review at some point, but I'm busy as a sob so for now. I'll just say I love it, it's exactly what I could have asked for.

"Ride the Load" would be an appropriate title for this in my eyes. Riffage a plenty with AWESOME vocals including some great melodies and overdubs. WOW!

"Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet!"
Old 06-04-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by db27
There is NO resemblece to Limp on this, you are out of your mind.
Opps, my bad. I meant "Korn".

Doesn't matter, cd still sucks.
Old 06-04-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Opps, my bad. I meant "Korn".

Doesn't matter, cd still sucks.
Clearly you have no idea what your talkin' 'bout biatch.

Korn nor Limp have the talent or ability to play the riffs and beats on this disc. Nor the lyric and vocal talent to sing this either.
Old 06-04-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... everyone broke street date in town...
That's because it was being downloaded everywhere on the net late monday night. I bet they felt the need to get the CD out asap.
Old 06-04-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's because it was being downloaded everywhere on the net late monday night. I bet they felt the need to get the CD out asap.
those files i've noticed sound like poop compared to the album mix i'm hearing.

fyi, for anyone who cares.
Old 06-04-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So far, my faves are.

The unnamed feeling
invisible kid
frantic
some kind of monster

My least is

Purify (so far, i think they should have left it off)

only 3 minutes into it though.
Old 06-04-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Korn nor Limp have the talent or ability to play the riffs and beats on this disc. Nor the lyric and vocal talent to sing this either.
Well, I could say the same for this CD. The lyrics are no where near what I've come to expect from a band I use to shoot pictures for. As for the riffs... they could have been much better. This album sounds like James and Kirk are trying so hard to fit in with the "new metal" bands, they've lost track of who they were/ are.

What a sad, sad day to be a Metallica fan.
Old 06-04-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

those files i've noticed sound like poop compared to the album mix i'm hearing.
Not the VBR rips.

garbage in >>>> garbage out.
Old 06-04-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I could say the same for this CD. The lyrics are no where near what I've come to expect from a band I use to shoot pictures for. As for the riffs... they could have been much better. This album sounds like James and Kirk are trying so hard to fit in with the "new metal" bands, they've lost track of who they were/ are.

What a sad, sad day to be a Metallica fan.
Damn happy day to be one imo, but what fun would it be if anyone agreed.

i just have no clue where you find the 'nu metal' in this, 'nu metal' doesn't have these kind of dynamics and tempo changes etc..

there is so much classic metallica on this, just amazing.

altough, now that it's over "purify" is not good. for sure, its poop.
Old 06-04-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not the VBR rips.

garbage in >>>> garbage out.
i don't know what vbr is
Old 06-04-03, 09:54 PM
Suspended

i don't know what vbr is
variable bit rate? im not sure, probably just another crappy compression method.
Old 06-04-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn happy day to be one imo, but what fun would it be if anyone agreed.
We just have different tastes in Metallica music.... that's all.

No big deal, I hope you enjoy their new music. I'm sure this will be a love it or hate it CD for many Metallica fans.

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 06-05-03 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-04-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I've only heard a few clips and the St. Anger single:

But if I were to compare it to earlier Metallica albums, it sounds nothing like Load/Reload and Black album. Those were just not metal thats the only way to describe it.

It doesn't sound like Ride/Master/and Justice either. Those were more melodic and deeper. Which I think is amazing btw.

This album sounds like Kill Em All. Which to me is excellent because Kill Em All could be my favorite Metallica album (I might be the only one), closley followed by Master of Puppets, the raw/agressive feel to Kill Em All is back and I like it (so far)

Metallica album rankings: (so far)

1. Kill Em All
2. Master Of Puppets
3. Ride The Lightning
4. ...And Justice For All
5. Black
6. Reload
7. Load

If St. Anger ends up being above the Black Album for me then consider me impressed and happy.
Old 06-05-03, 12:06 AM
Banned

I'm currently in the process of *ahem* previewing the album. Just listened to the first track, "Frantic," and all I have to say is...wow. This coming from a guy who's primarily obsessed with British alt bands.
Old 06-05-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just went over to Fred Meyer to get some Ice Cream and noticed they broke the date as well so I picked it up.

I'm only on Dirty Window right now, but I'm not impressed so far. I've been a longtime fan as well, and I even enjoy Load/Reload, but this album has just been a total letdown so far.

It's so overproduced to sound underproduced it just gets on my nerves. I was really excited about this too after I read all of those magazine articles and stuff hailing it as being a comback to the old school but it's not that. It isn't Load or Reload either. It's just different I guess.

I can say all the songs so far are twice as long as they need to be without solos. I don't know what Lars is talking about the songs "not sounding right" without solos becuase I hear plenty of opportunity.

I will say that I do like a lot of the riffs though, they just could have done more with it. The lyrics are ridiculous. I think it may be partly the fact that everyone had input on them though. They just aren't up to par.

Anyway, I agree with Keyzer I guess. It just sounds too nu metallish to me.

It will probably grow on me though. Who knows, but I think I'm gonna put in the new Mars Volta again...
Old 06-05-03, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts
OH my GOD!

This CD is SOOOOOOOOO GOOD, everyone broke street date in town, I'm only into track 7 and I'm just BLOWN away, it's totally destroyed my expectations thus far!!

This is the CD that I've been waiting for.

I'll detail a review at some point, but I'm busy as a sob so for now. I'll just say I love it, it's exactly what I could have asked for.

"Ride the Load" would be an appropriate title for this in my eyes. Riffage a plenty with AWESOME vocals including some great melodies and overdubs. WOW!

"Shoot me again, I ain't dead yet!"
F _ _K!... I haven't got it yet, Imma wake up early tomorrow so I can get it... good to hear what U say...
Old 06-05-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
The lyrics are no where near what I've come to expect from a band I use to shoot pictures for.
James is writing lyrics sober for the 1st time.

Think about it... would you write the same sober as when you're blitzed outta your mind?

For better or worse, it's gonna be different

Last edited by GuessWho; 06-05-03 at 09:33 AM.
Old 06-05-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
This is the first time James is writing lyrics sober for the 1st time.

Think about it... would you write the same sober as when you're blitzed outta your mind?

For better or worse, it's gonna be different
Also, keep in mind that this lyrics came quick, he didn't have his pen with him and just write whenever. These came out in the studio.

Additionally, the other guys wrote some of the lyrics as well.

Furthermore, these imo are some of the deepest and most honest lyrics we've ever heard from Metallica. Where not talkin' Egyptian Pharoahs here, we're talkin' JAson, control, alcohol, childhood. So maybe at times they aren't as intricate as previous works, but from a actual means something aspect this is the MOST meaningful batch of lyrics that they've dealt us.
Old 06-05-03, 11:14 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[rhetorical question]
How is that not a personal attack?
[/rhetorical question]

The level of "debate" in this forum is too frequently falling below what one would expect from adults.

Just as is the case with people posting mp3 links to copyright material, from this point, in accordance with Geoff's stated policy, there will be zero tolerance shown towards personal attacks.

I know that I will receive claims that [insert envelope-pushing term here] was not a personal attack. Sorry and all that but I propose to ignore all such pleas. It will be easier if people just play nice.

I'm now closing this thread: the album has been released and discussion as to its actual contents can continue in the review thread.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk