Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Dream Theater Official Bootlegs!!!

Old 05-28-03, 02:53 PM

Dream Theater Official Bootlegs!!!

I know there are DT fans on this board so I thought I would make a post about this...although most of you probably already know about this. After what seemed like ages of talking from Portnoy, Elektra and Dream Theater have finally agreed on an "Official Bootleg" series of CD's distributed by Dream Theater on a new "record label" called Ytse Jam Records through the website www.ytsejamrecords.com . It appears as though, but I am not 100% certain, Elektra is producing the discs, they are silvers, but that all the proceeds, with a little royalty to Elektra I'm sure although I am not 100% sure, are going to Dream Theater. They have four main categories: Demo Series, Live Series, Studio Series, and Covers Series. Dream Theater is going to start shipping the first 3 bootlegs: Majesty Demos from 85-86, LA Show from 5/18/98 and Making of SFAM in early June with new Bootlegs to follow every 6 months of so. I have already ordered the first 3 and am really pumped for future installments. I have to support DT so this was a no brainer for me. Is anybody else excited about this? It isn't their new studio album but still...

For more info check out www.ytsejamrecords.com and www.mikeportnoy.com .
Old 05-28-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cool. thanks for the info
Old 05-28-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hopefully they're good quality. I have somewhere between 75 and 100 DT boots, and most of them are pretty crappy.

In any case, I'll be glad to pay for this stuff. I wish more of this kind of material was available.

das
Old 05-28-03, 10:50 PM

Some addtional info on the first three releases:

- the making of SFAM will feature entire songs (or almost) in a demo or rehearsal condition. Some highlights are a version of Dance of Eternity with additional stuff, a piano-only version of Finally Free, etc.
- The 2nd CD contains the much sought after David Botrill mix of SFAM. (For those of you who hate Kevin Shirley and dream of finally hearing John Myung clearly in the mix, this should be a treat

- The Majesty Demos are of course of great quality and are mixed by Doug Oberkicher.

- Regarding the May 1998 live, sound is different than OIALT, Ray Adler sings Pull me under and Dickinson does the Maiden medley.
This show was originally recorded by Westwood One, but only a handful of songs were actually released by Westwood One.

The shows MP plans on releasing are because of special guests, exceptional setlists and/or killer performances. There are no overdubs or eq tricks, just mixing and mastering from the best source materials available. I don't think this project will ever go to the extent that Pearl Jam has with releasing every show, or releasing specific shows at the requests of fans. While this first batch all come from multitrack recordings, I'd bet that some, (not all) of the future live boots will come from MP's DAT collection (he has a DAT of every single performance!) , which are strictly 2-track recordings - leaving no room for overdubbing.

Last edited by Hannibal; 05-28-03 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-28-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good stuff, I'll look forward to the releases that have Metallica covers. They do a fantastic job.
Old 05-28-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by das Monkey
Hopefully they're good quality. I have somewhere between 75 and 100 DT boots, and most of them are pretty crappy.

In any case, I'll be glad to pay for this stuff. I wish more of this kind of material was available.

das
Really? That is awesome, I have about the same. I stopped collecting about the time they went on the Metropolis 2000 tour. I did mangage to get a copy of the Metallica show though. Very cool.
Old 03-04-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyone ever pick these up? I grabbed them a while ago and have been anxiously awaiting the next round of releases. Really cool stuff and worth every penny.

das
Old 03-05-04, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the first I've heard of this. How's the quality?
Old 03-05-04, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty darn good considering. The demos/making ofs sound great. The concert didn't sound as good as the Scenes from New York release, probably closer to Once in a LIVETime, but that's still quite good for a "bootleg." It sure sounds better than all the boots I've collected over the years on my own. Then again, I'm not an audiophile, so maybe someone else can give you more detail, but for my money, the audio quality is as strong as MP hyped it up to be.

As for general "quality," I found it fascinating to listen through all the demos, especially the session outtakes from SFAM. I love that kind of stuff, and I'll be buying the next round of releases ... which was supposed to be in February.

das
Old 03-05-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have the Metallica boot (unofficial), and it is pretty crappy quality. I'm sure Mike will be giving us a much better quality disc of this show. I'm looking forward to it.

I have the SFAM discs, good quality.

I'll probably skip the live shows unless it is something special like the Metallica or Iron Maiden shows.
Old 03-09-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ytsejam Records - Second Installment Now Available for PRE-ORDER

Now Available for PRE-ORDER: Ytsejam Records is now accepting pre-orders for the second installment of bootlegs which include: When Day and Dream Unite Demos 1987-1989 (Demo Series) Tokyo, Japan 10/28/95 (Live Series) Master of Puppets (Covers Series) We expect to begin shipping pre-orders the week of March 22nd. Orders will ship in the order in which they were received. For a full track listing and to place your pre-order visit our website at www.ytsejamrecords.com. Enjoy!

Michael Brown
Ytsejam Records
Old 03-10-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet. Can't wait for the Puppets disc. The boot I have is of rather average quality.
Old 03-26-04, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These discs are shipping now. I ordered a few days after my post on the 9th, and the website said something about "pre-order" or "shipping soon" or something. Anyway, they showed up in the mail last night. I'm about to check out the Tokyo, Japan concert here at work.

das
Old 03-26-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Das,
Let me know if the Metallica one is any better than the boot floating around. That is the one I am most interested in. TIA.
Old 03-26-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure thing. Could be a few days before I get a chance to listen to it, though.

das
Old 03-29-04, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Listened to the Master of Puppets boot over the weekend, and the audio quality is pretty good, better than the version I had before at least. You may have a better boot than I do, though. My only complaint would be that the lead vocals are mixed a little too low for my taste.

Really like the Tokyo concert in this group.

das
Old 03-29-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Das, is the Metallica boot a live recording or studio treatments? The site doesn't make that part specific. Thanks!
Old 03-29-04, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a live recording from the second half (encore of sorts) of the second day of a 2002 concert in Barcelona. They played a full show the night before, then after playing a full set on the second night, they came out and just played the whole "Master of Puppets" album live. They do this every once in a while on the 2nd night playing in a huge city. I know I have a Chicago version of "Master of Puppets" somewhere as well as Iron Maiden's "Number of the Beast" among others.

das
Old 03-29-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for confirming. Think I'll have to order this one...