Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Neil Young "Missing 6"

Old 05-24-03, 09:05 AM

The Neil Young "Missing 6"

4 of the "Missing 6" albums are coming to disc next month. I have heard of these for several years but never actually heard them. Who has heard them? Are they any good? I got the 4 pre-ordered from amazon.ca . Opinions!!!
Old 05-24-03, 10:44 AM

I'm glad to see these are finally coming out. My favorite of the four is "On The Beach." "American Stars N' Bars" and "Hawks & Doves" are also on my "must own" list. I didn't get into "Re-act-or" when it first came out but I haven't heard it in years, so I need to give it another listen.

There's an interview with the tape archivist involved with the reissues in the June issue of ICE Magazine. He explains that the remaining two unissued titles, "Journey Through The Past" and "Time Fades Away," aren't being released because they don't have original masters. I hope they can find a way to put these two out as well.
Old 05-24-03, 07:15 PM

"On the Beach" is, in my opinion, Neil Young's best album. Do yourself a favor and pick it up. I can live without the other albums being reissued, but I do hope that "Time Fades Away" is eventually released.
Old 05-25-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are a few excellent songs on Reactor.
Old 05-25-03, 09:35 AM

Cool, looking forward to hearing them even more now.
Old 01-19-06, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For those of you who'd like to see the utterly amazing "Time Fades Away" released, here's a petition:

http://thrasherswheat.org/tnfy/tfa-petition.php
Old 01-19-06, 11:00 AM

I think I have all six on vinyl. On the Beach is certainly the pick of the crop.
Old 01-19-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'm not familiar with these, but: is "Trans" included in these?
Old 01-19-06, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Time Fades Away is a must have. Although a live album none of the songs appear on any other album as far as I can tell. Has a very raw, unpolished sound to it, unlike Live Rust. First bought the LP when it came out in '73, the first Young release(not counting Journey Through the Past, a soundtrack) after I started getting into his stuff with Harvest. Became one of my all-time favorite albums. I didn't switch to CD until '97 and was disappointed to discover it was not available. However, I did find a looong OOP German CD release from Island records released in 1987. Interesting thing about the cd is that it has 6 bonus tracks, 5 of which are songs I've never heard before. 1. Homefires(live) 2. Peace of Mind(live) 3. Evening Coconut(live) 4. Birds 5. War Song 6. Tonight's The Night(live).
Old 01-19-06, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that On The Beach is a must have and also that Time Fades Away deserves more credit than it is usually given. The tour it is taken from was a legendary low point for Neil but the album is one that I always enjoyed. I have a CD of a digitized vinyl version and would like to see it released so I can pick up a copy.
Old 01-19-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hollowgen
i'm not familiar with these, but: is "Trans" included in these?
Nope. Trans has been available on CD for a while.