Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Staind "14 shades of Grey" how is it?

Old 05-20-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Staind "14 shades of Grey" how is it?

I heard some songs last night on the radio, and for the most part they were all very good. My favorite was "Layne"
Old 05-20-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would also like to know!

Rypro, I'm assuming "Layne" was about Layne from Alice in Chains? Correct? That sounds very cool if it's the case
Old 05-20-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by db27
I would also like to know!

Rypro, I'm assuming "Layne" was about Layne from Alice in Chains? Correct? That sounds very cool if it's the case
Yep, it also had an Alice In Chains type sound.
Old 05-20-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard Layne last night too. It does have a creepy kinda AIC feel, the music and the vocal harmonies. The only problem is that Eddie Vedder wrote a song to him also (entitled 4/20/02) and it'll be ten times better hehe.

Not to bag on Aaron lewis or Staind, but I think a lot of people might misinterpret the meaning and assume that he personally knew Layne, which wasn't the case. I guess it doesn't really matter, but it might put a damper on how much the song actually means to someone. I wonder was Jerry and the rest of the AIC boys/family think of it.
Old 05-20-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Beats me but picked it up at bestbuy for 11.99, now to get a chance to listen to it.
Old 05-20-03, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Ergyu
I heard Layne last night too. It does have a creepy kinda AIC feel, the music and the vocal harmonies. The only problem is that Eddie Vedder wrote a song to him also (entitled 4/20/02) and it'll be ten times better hehe.
Have they (PJ) played this yet?
Old 05-21-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I didn't get the CD, but I got the chance to go see Staind last night at the Wiltern in LA for free. Only Staind played and it was a kick-ass show! I think I'll pick up the album later this week.

-CM-
Old 05-21-03, 02:28 PM

Only listened to about half of it so far, it was one of a few cds I picked up, and got last attention...

I personally am not liking it all that much, it's not bad, but not that great in my opinion, I liked the last album much better thus far.

However, I haven't listened to the whole thing, and many cds take multiple visits before I really like them. So, don't take my impression as much. It's cheap enough 11 bucks and comes with a dvd of something.. I have yet to watch, so it's a pretty good deal.
Old 05-21-03, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Picked it up yesterday at Best Buy for $9.99, plus it came with a DVD, so I figured that was to good of a deal to pass up. Anyway I have only listened to about half of the album so far. I like what I hear so far. Will listen some more later on.
Old 05-21-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

I listened to it once through, although I was distracted for a bit during. I didn't like it that much. I'll have to listen to it a few times through to be sure. Sad, because their 1st disc is one of my favorites of all time.
Old 05-21-03, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Chopper
Have they (PJ) played this yet?
I don't think it's a song they will be playing live. It's not released yet, but supposedly it should show up on their forthcoming
B-sides record. That's all the info I have.
Old 05-22-03, 07:14 PM

i just picked this up today and was wondering if the dvd comes inside the case or is it something that only a few stores are offering?
Old 05-22-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by stier_99
i just picked this up today and was wondering if the dvd comes inside the case or is it something that only a few stores are offering?
Best Buy and Circuit City both had the DVD advertised. Yes, the DVD does come in the case.
Old 05-22-03, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Along with what Deftones said, you have to make sure the sticker on the cd says it includes the DVD. I saw both versions with and without the DVD, so I guess its a limited number.
Old 05-23-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I gave this a brief listen at work today, only caught like 30 seconds of each track.

Sadly, it sounds like Staind have taken the "It's Been Awhile" approach to this entire album. The heaviness is gone entirely, which is what set there sound apart from other nu-metal counterparts. Mike used a baritone guitar on much of the first two records, however on first listen nothing seemed heavy enough for the baritone on this record.

Simply doesn't have that Staind brutality that the first album was, and the second became somewhat more defined and produced.

On the surface, sounds like much of these were written with radio intent

However, I will not judge it on this one runthrough alone, I'll crack one open and give a listen proper-like.

First impressions disappoint however.
Old 05-23-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MJK, I couldn't help but laugh at your sig. How long do you have to run that one through? Was it from El Sucko, Shorto, I mean Scorcho?
Old 05-23-03, 01:08 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by db27
MJK, I couldn't help but laugh at your sig. How long do you have to run that one through? Was it from El Sucko, Shorto, I mean Scorcho?
For a month!

And it was from El Gallant Pigo
Old 05-23-03, 09:37 AM

I've listend to this a few times now, it's official I don't like the album. Just seems that not one song really stands out, and together as a whole, they're not that entertaining.

I really dont' see it as them trying to make songs for the radio, I can't hear one song on there, that I think will be popular with the radio audience (not that, is always a bad thing)
Old 05-24-03, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must agree that I don't care for this album. I liked their second album even though it was softer than the first, but this is almost boring. I can't distinguish one song from another when I play it. Usually at work I pause my cd's when I get up to do something but with this album I didn't bother. I am really disappointed.
Old 05-25-03, 09:50 PM

They have gone soft. However it doesn't mean this isn't a good album. It's gotten better the more I have listened to it. I'm really starting to like "Layne" but the rest is average. I miss their harder songs like Mudshovel etc.....
Old 05-25-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really liked the single, but I've been disappointed with this album. The thing that made 'break the cycle' good was that it had the slower tracks and the hard rocking songs... with the exception of the first track, nothing on this cd really rocks...they just kind of slump along... and like said, most of it sounds like one big runon song...I can't tell the difference between half of them... of the 14 tracks on the album, I'd say I only like 3 right now... the dvd was kind of cool, but overall this is a huge disappointment right now... going back to listening to TRAPT and the new COLD album instead...

MATT

really glad I didn't buy tickets to see Staind next week...because if they are mostly playing new stuff, it would be really disappointing...of course, last time I saw them live, it was great...but this record is just...bleh
Old 05-26-03, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was dissapointed with the single at first, but it has grown on me. I went ahead and got the album, I've been listening since they began, but was never a huge fan.

I like it. I don't think this album is any softer than the second one. There are a couple tracks that are, but for the most part it's just about the same in terms of "hardness." I just listened to the first album again last night and remembered just how good they can be.

They are probably among the top of the Nu-Metal kids these days. I think my favorite track is Blown Away or Layne. I'm gonna keep listening to it, but I can't pry myself away from the new Deftones.
Old 05-26-03, 01:24 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Ergyu
I'm gonna keep listening to it, but I can't pry myself away from the new Deftones.
Yes! I feel the same way!
Old 05-26-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
Yes! I feel the same way!

Now if only that pesky Tool DVD would hurry up and come out!*whoops, made a mess!
Old 05-27-03, 01:04 PM

I've listened through it twice so far and I don't care for it at all.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.