Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I Love Ticketmaster, Let Me Count The Ways.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-14-03, 10:05 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell us of their latest injustice against mankind.
Old 05-14-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am SO SICK of having to log into their website to get my tickets nowadays.

Since, in the Chicagoland area - after Dominick's quit the ticketing biz - there's only a handful of ticketing outlets now.

And let's not even get into the "convenience fees" that nearly double the price of the tickets in some instances.
Old 05-14-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I bought 2 tix to the deftones show the other day. Tix were $20 each and I bought 2 of them. Anyone care to guess how much I had to pay?
Old 05-14-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by Deftones
I bought 2 tix to the deftones show the other day. Tix were $20 each and I bought 2 of them. Anyone care to guess how much I had to pay?
I'm guessing it ended up being around $27-$28 apiece.
Old 05-14-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm thinking about $35.00 - $37.00 per ticket. I usually mentally add about $15.00 to the face value of the ticket. They are ridiculous!!!
Old 05-14-03, 07:38 PM

My $18.50 ticket for Yo La Tengo's Chicago show next month cost me just over $30. That's insane.
Old 05-14-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just love how there is an Internet presale and you get your little password and everything. So you buy your tix early. You get seats that further than you expected but you purchase anyways because you think the show is selling out.

Fast forward to 2 weeks before the show. An entire ring of lower level seating is opened up with primo seats for exactly the same price that you paid.

That is f'n bull****!

Why purchase early, when you can get em' a week before the show with better seats. What's the incentive.

Ticketbastard.
Old 05-14-03, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Ticketmaster is one of many companies that doesn't mind giving the consumer "the finger" to his/her face
Old 05-14-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz
I'm guessing it ended up being around $27-$28 apiece.

close. They were $30 bucks apiece. That's a $10 service charge on the ****ing ticket. Soon, we will be paying $5 to see a show and $30 for the service charges. It pisses me off b/c I go out to shows to support bands b/c they see more money that way then with cd sales. ****ing Ticketmaster gets more of the shows revenues than the band does.
Old 05-15-03, 12:19 AM
Banned

I just paid $98 for 2 Beck tickets. $38.50 each plus $9 each for convenience charge plus $3.80 BS order processing charge! F*** Ticketmaster...
Old 05-15-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm practically Ticketmaster's bed buddy.. I know no one else that sinks as much money into TM than myself, and while I love live music more than anything, I hate that supporting TM is part of it.

For a pair of tickets to four separate concerts at the beginning of June, I paid an average of 24% over face value for convenience and order processing charges. A quarter of face value extra! I'm surprised they don't charge for standard shipping. At these prices, I'm even wondering if upwards of $400 for two weeks of entertainment is worth it.

The rant continues with fan clubs..

One of the reasons why many people join the Dave Matthews Band fan club is because they have the false belief that they will be escaping Ticketmaster. In reality, we end up paying more through the fan club per ticket, because there is a convenience charge, an order processing charge, and a shipping charge. These three charges apply to EVERY show you order! (Nevermind the fact that they ship out tickets to most every concert you order in one package.. but yet, you still pay for separate shipping.)
Old 05-15-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
close. They were $30 bucks apiece. That's a $10 service charge on the ****ing ticket. Soon, we will be paying $5 to see a show and $30 for the service charges. It pisses me off b/c I go out to shows to support bands b/c they see more money that way then with cd sales. ****ing Ticketmaster gets more of the shows revenues than the band does.
Anyways, enjoy the show. Small venue for an excellent band. Can't wait to hear the new album on Tuesday. Enjoy!
Old 05-15-03, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You get a convenience charge even if you call in the tickets. You log on to the website and don't interact with a human at all, and they are charging you for their convenience. Blah.
Old 05-15-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
[Mr. Burns]You told me I was crazy when I purchased Ticketmaster. Nobody would pay a 100% service charge you said.[/Mr. Burns]
Old 05-15-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got a pair of tickets to Lollapalooza for $64 per ticket.

paid $150 for the two of them

that's America for ya. big business runs everything.
Old 05-15-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else notice that the convenience fees that TM use are not consistent? That they pick a number based on what they think is a hot ticket etc or is there some percentage they use no matter what?
Old 05-15-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I don't think so, it is everyone. I went to see Dream Theater (not really a hot ticket even though all their shows sell out, they are in small venues) last year. I think ticket price was $35 each I think the bill for 2 tickets was around $100. I remember bitching about $14 ea. overcharge. It is bs. and they have the market cornered. Nothing really to do.

I am buying some tix in the morning actually. Anyone have any better luck on the phone vs. online? As far as seats are concerned. Ever since I started ordering online the seats keep getting farther and farther back. That is vs. going and standing in line somewhere to buy them. I have never used the phone.
Old 05-15-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where is the Ticketmaster fan club?

Mad props to bands that want to avoid Ticketmaster, but they end up going to smaller ticketing firms that rape you because they don't have the infrastructure (like TM does) , so the fans of that band end up subsidizing their infrasturcture.
Old 05-15-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ALWAYS try and buy my tix at the door. I mean, not necessarily that night, but at least at the venue. Most of the time I simply refuse to deal with Ticketmaster. Not exactly a boycott, but if every music fan tried to blow 'em off like I do they'd change their ways. I understand that's not realistic though.

It's more than just Ticketmaster's crazy fees. Concert tickets have risen so much over the past 5 years it just doesn't make sense to attend anymore. Thankfully, good bands still play in clubs and that seems to be where it's at for me. But sometimes I want to see a bigger act... like Fleetwood Mac. I just won't pay $127 for a ticket, especially for two of us. I'm not sure I'd even pay that to see the Beatles reform from the grave. The funny thing is I COULD afford that, but forget it. Go your own way. Crap, the Eagles (who I could give a patootey for) charge much more than that. Crazy.
Old 05-15-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's even crazier is that the bands that have 'made it' realize that fans will pay just about anything to see them -- so they'll just keep jacking the prices.

I talked with a few people that have paid $500 to see the Rolling Stones.

There isn't a band in the world that I would pay $500 to see. Even if it was in my living room.

There are plenty of good bands that cost a LOT less to see, once they become expensive, I'll move on to the next band.
Old 05-15-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Just bought 2 $22 Richard THompson tickets for $67. A 50% (over)charge.
Old 05-15-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a pair of Deftones tickets last week cost only $20 per ticket plus a minor charge.

not bad for a 2-hour plus show.
Old 05-15-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah the charges are just plain crazy.

If you don't care about seating location too much, just buy tickets outside the venue the night of the show.
Unless it's a REALLY REALLY HOT ticket in a small club, you can usually get tickets for 50% of face or even LESS!
Even to sold out shows.

With getting good seats it really is an art.
You have to guesstimate on whether better seats will be released.
Usually I try online with a T3 connection right when they go onsale. If I'm not satisfied with what I'm offered I keep trying for up to an hour to see what gets released. Still not satisfied, I wait untill up to the morning of the show. Usually around 24-28 hours before the show they release GREAT seats for almost all shows.
Using this method I've RARELY sat further than 10 rows from stage. Usually get in the first 5.
It takes persistance, but it usually pays off.
Just don't always take what is first offered to you and assume that is the best.
It's a gamble but 99% of the time you can do better.
I still can't get over seeing people buy lawn tickets to a show weeks before the show. You can 99.9% of the time buy them without the service charge for LESS THAN face oustide the venue before the concert.

But with getting good seats, yeah you have to bow to TM and their crazy fees.

Anyone notice more and more venues are adding a "building charge" as well! Kind of like TM convience charge.
You think the building isn't already getting their contracted price?
What "extras" do I get for this "Building charge"?!
A Pearl Jam ticket, who keeps thier prices down was in the $33 range but after all fees it was $52!
Old 05-15-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

INTERNET PRESALE TICKET $27.50 x 3
Total Building Facility Charge(s) $6.00
Total Convenience Charge(s) $19.50

Total Taxes $0.60
Order Processing Charge(s) $4.30
Standard Mail $0.00

TOTAL CHARGES $112.90

$37.50 for $27.50 tickets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.