Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Live - 'Birds of Pray' - Thoughts?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the album isn't technically released until May 20th, but come on ... this is the Internet ... who are we kidding?

So, has anyone else given this one a listen yet? I've been trying to show it some love all day, but I'm having trouble getting into it. Many hardcore Live fans seem to love it, and it's been getting great reviews, but it just doesn't have the same spiritual bite that their first four had or the same energy that V had. It's also missing that uber-emotional ballad like 'Lightning Crashes' or 'Overcome.' I dunno ... it took me a while to get into V but now I love it (albeit the least of the group), so maybe it just needs time to grow on me. In truth, the best albums are those that take a while to love. Things that I love instantly often (not always) fade away. Those that take time seem to be more enduring.

I guess I should note than in no way is this a "negative review." I'm enjoying the album just fine ... I guess I just have incredibly high standards for these guys. Anyone else have thoughts (if you haven't heard the album, the single 'Heaven' is clogging the airwaves)?

das
Old 04-30-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i'm gonna give this a listen right after Macy Gray's new one..

i was kinda disappointed by V, so i'm hoping [based on your hardcore fans comment..] that this is a return to form...
Old 04-30-03, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Guess it depends on what you mean by "form." A lot of people are talking about this being a return to an older style, but to me, it sounds closer to V than any of the others. I'd consider myself a hardcore fan (huh-huh ... hardcore), but then I lean more to the Mental Jewelry sound than the average fan, and as I said before, I actually liked V, something that appears to be a rarity. I can definitely see a lot of "single" potential, though, something that V didn't really have.

das
Old 04-30-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Guess it depends on what you mean by "form." A lot of people are talking about this being a return to an older style, but to me, it sounds closer to V than any of the others.

Uh-oh. And I was going to pick this one up. But if it sounds anything like that last POS they released, I'll stay away.
Old 04-30-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth cdollaz •<HR SIZE=1>Uh-oh. And I was going to pick this one up. But if it sounds anything like that last POS they released, I'll stay away. <HR SIZE=1>

Again, I note that others think it sounds more like previous work. I wouldn't let my initial impressions sway you one way or the other.

das
Old 04-30-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm...I actually have only found those phony loops of the songs, but I haven't been looking too hard...Heaven is good...Acutally V wasn't that bad...There was some good songs placed in between some real stinkers, but not horrible either.
Old 04-30-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth lostatmidnight •<HR SIZE=1>Acutally V wasn't that bad...There was some good songs placed in between some real stinkers, but not horrible either. <HR SIZE=1>

That's pretty much the way I felt about it. Some of the songs have a huge amount energy and sound incredible when performed (heh) live. And 'Overcome' is a great song buried at the end between two stinkers.

das
Old 04-30-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

where did you find this I've looked everywhere
Old 04-30-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't even know this was coming out next month until reading this thread. Now i'm really excited.
I'm a pretty big Live fan (have all albums but mental jewelry and seen them live once), so I'll definitely check it out May 20.

Anyone have more info on what's gonna be on the DVD?
Old 04-30-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth WhattheFFF •<HR SIZE=1>where did you find this I've looked everywhere <HR SIZE=1>

Sorry, but I don't want to lose my thread. Keep looking ...

das
Old 04-30-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Zodo •<HR SIZE=1>Anyone have more info on what's gonna be on the DVD? <HR SIZE=1>

Last I heard, it was footage from Pinkpop 2002. I don't know how much, but I have a few audio bootlegs of their appearances at Pinkpop in various years, and they are all high quality stuff (including 2002).
Old 04-30-03, 11:54 PM

I really enjoy this album. It is what should have been released right after Lightning Crashes. It is just a straight, stripped down rock album. Heaven is becoming one of my favorite Live songs the more I listen to it.
Old 05-06-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As expected, like barnacles on Anna Nicole Smith's ass, this album is growing on me. It's safe to say that Live is my favorite active "band" so I'm pretty critical of everything that comes out, and I've been going back and forth between this and other random stuff for the last week. I'll stick with my original statement that it reminds me of V, and much like V, I very much enjoy Birds of Pray, but it doesn't stand up to their first 4 studio albums in terms of overall strength. It's pretty much straight rock (like MFRONE said, "stripped down") and isn't overly spiritual or thought-provoking, but it does rock, and that's what the fans demanded after the somewhat experimental V.

I don't think Heaven is the best first track (although I love the song) considering how every other album opens with a driving kickass song, and I would have liked a strong emotional ballad, and "What are We Fighting For?" is a pretty weak "war is bad, mmkay" track tacked onto the end, but most of the album works well, and I suspect those who didn't like V are going to be very happy with it.

Sir Rogue, ever get a chance to check it out?

das
Old 05-06-03, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too could not get into "Birds of Prey" at all when I first heard it, but it's growing on me now.

It's still not the greatest but I think it is a decent album.

My favorite track right now is "What Are We Fighting For?".

I think "V" was just Live trying to do what they wanted. Yes it was corny at times and Ed should really not be rapping but it had more than a few good songs.
Old 05-06-03, 09:35 AM

I do agree that this album does take more then one listen to get into. That's Live for you though. Every album has a slighty different sound and feel to it. I was lucky enough to see one of the small club warmup shows they did recently. I can only say this just wait till you hear some of the new songs played Live. It was the best show I've seen since the Throwing Copper tour.
Old 05-06-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, i've heard this new album a few times now. It's definitely not their best album to date, but it's not horrible either.

The one thing I've noticed is that none of the tracks are very memorable, and it seems like they're really trying to be a little too political as well.
Old 05-06-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth travlr •<HR SIZE=1>I do agree that this album does take more then one listen to get into. That's Live for you though. Every album has a slighty different sound and feel to it. I was lucky enough to see one of the small club warmup shows they did recently. I can only say this just wait till you hear some of the new songs played Live. It was the best show I've seen since the Throwing Copper tour. <HR SIZE=1>

I think the best show I've seen to date was from the V tour, oddly enough. By the time I saw them, I think they had realized that the album wasn't going over too well, and they didn't dwell on it. They opened with Simple Creed (which IMO rocks as an opener), and hit People Like You, Deep Enough, and Overcome and left it at that. The rest was a greatest hits mix that was very heavy on tracks from Throwing Copper and The Distance to Here.

Their performance at Midtown rocked, and both Heaven and Like I Do sounded incredible live (Run Away was greeted with crickets), so I'm really looking forward to this tour.

das
Old 05-06-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I was finally able to stop listening to Kelly Clarkson long enough to listen to it..

I like it. das, like you and MFRONE said - "It's pretty much straight, "stripped down" rock". And that's what I like from Ed and the gang.

Well, technically, I like those hard rocking, bombastic, dramatic songs..[just not like Meatloaf..]

Kidding. Kidding. Bat Out Of Hell is one of the best rock albums ever recorded.

But, can we talk about something on this album that really sucks..? The COVER.

Old 05-06-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
OMG, Kelly!

das
Old 05-19-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, after putting aside my expectations and listening to this album for what it is instead of what it is not, I feel confident saying that Birds of Pray does in fact kick ass.

A bump for the thread since the album is released today. At $11.99 with a free DVD of concert footage, there's no excuse not to get out and buy it.

das
Old 05-19-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I took a quick listen at work, sounds pretty good. More rockish then V, but still some kinda 'overcome-ish" tracks which don't do it for me.

Might pick it up at that price and give it some more spins.

I prefer Ed's vocals on the earlier albums, now he is really getting high with some notes. I appreciate range, but my preference is the Ed of old.
Old 05-20-03, 01:57 PM
Retired

I'm planning on picking this up afterwhile. I haven't heard any of it yet, but I'm sure I'll like as Live is easily in my top 5-10 favorite bands and I love their first 5 albums.
Old 05-20-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Josh Hinkle •<HR SIZE=1>I'm planning on picking this up afterwhile. I haven't heard any of it yet, but I'm sure I'll like as Live is easily in my top 5-10 favorite bands and I love their first 5 albums. <HR SIZE=1>

I don't know how "limited" it is (chances are it's "limited" to as many as they can sell), but just in case, make sure you're early enough to get the free DVD.

das
Old 05-20-03, 05:40 PM

I will probably pick it up, but with but with some reservations. In my opinion Live is a band of diminishing returns. Mental Jewelry and Throwing Copper are absolute classics while their last three releases have failed to come close to the consistency of their earlier work.

Here's hoping this is a step back in the right direction.
Old 05-20-03, 07:20 PM
Retired

Damn, I didn't know there was a free DVD. I had decided to wait until tomorrow, but maybe I'll run over to best buy in a little bit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.