Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Cradle of Filth: Damnation & A Day - Thoughts?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-27-03, 05:20 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've known about this band for at least a couple years now, but I never gave them that much of a chance. Back in the Napster days, I grabbed one or two of their songs - greatly enjoying "Her Ghost in the Fog" - but never got around to checking out an entire album.

On a whim, I picked up the new one Damnation and a Day. After a couple spins, I've decided I like it enough that I'd consider checking out some of their earlier stuff. Problem is, they seem to have SO many LPs, EPs, DVDs, compilations, live recordings - not to mention a perpetually changing lineup that makes me wonder what disc I should get next, and if I'd even be listening to the same band! (Though I guess they've had the same vocalist since day one...)

In addition to my interest in hearing what DVDTalkers (whom I trust *much* more than Amazon reviewers ) think of the new album, I'd also like to know what our resident COF fans (are there any?) feel about the band's earlier material. Even if you haven't listened to Damnation yet, but can contribute something like: "Well, I've heard all the previous albums, and the best is clearly [blank]," that would help me out as well.

Looking forward to your thoughts.
Old 04-27-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I kinda like COF, but I used to be a fan. I have Cruelty And The Beast, its pretty good and probably the best they've ever released (I don't have the new one but I'm not hearing good things and I've heard most of their other stuff).

I do recommend Cruelty And The Beast. Pick up the one with the bonus CD, it has an excellent cover or Iron Maiden's, Hallowed Be Thy Name
Old 04-28-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cradle of Filth is one of my favorite bands. I personally love the new disc. The new one sounds just like the rest of their material. If you are interested in checking out their other albums though, you might want to pick up the greatest hits CD they have and take it from there.

They have never disappointed me on any of their releases. Oh and don't worry about the revolving line up.
Old 04-28-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,110 Likes on 1,449 Posts
I've been a big fan of COF since Dusk and Her Embrace came out, and have bought everything they've released ever since. I've only had a chance to listen to the new album twice, so its too early for me to have a definite opinion on it, comparing it to their earlier work(it always takes me a few listens to fully appreciate their albums). The use of a real orchestra is a nice touch.

My personal favourite album from them would be either Cruelty and the Beast or Midian, with "Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids" from the former album being my favourite song. I've always liked Dani's lyrics and the touches of classical music in their songs.

And of course, if you're a fan, you have to check out the film, Cradle of Fear. An ultra low budget but ultra gory film starring Dani, and featuring cameos from the rest of the band.
Old 04-28-03, 10:27 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies so far.

cerial442 mentioned the greatest hits package, which seems to go by the adorably precious name Lovecraft and Witch Hearts. Amazon sez the tracklist includes "Her Ghost in the Fog," Goat3001's Iron Maiden cover, and cultshock's personal fave "Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids." Methinks I'd get my money's worth if I added this to my collection.

By the way, I'm rather surprised nobody's come into this thread with the intention of *really* bashing COF. I wouldn't consider that a "threadcrap" at all; in fact, if anyone feels Cradle is the worst "black metal" band ever and / or that the new one is the most atrocious thing they've ever put their name to, I'd like to hear that as well. [Especially if you could steer me in the direction of another band that shoots for a similar vibe but, in your opinion, does it more successfully than COF.]
Old 04-28-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cradle is one of those bands people either love, or they loth. I am willing to bet that they go over alot of peoples heads this year at Ozzfest.

Trust me, if you like the new album, you will like the old stuff. I got it the week it came out and I am still listening to it. I love the opening riff to Babalon A.D.

You also have to realise when it comes to Black Metal, Cradle is considered sell outs, by the hardcore black metal fans. Wanna know why? It's because they have alot of shirts, and was signed by Sony. I am not kidding, and their music hasn't changed that much. So be careful on whose opinions you listen to on them. Judge for yourself.
Old 04-29-03, 12:50 AM
Banned

My favorite riffs so far are in the second track (the first "actual song") and that quasi-thrashy bit in "The Smoke of Her Burning." Which brings me to another aspect of this band I'm really digging: Their song titles are excellent!

Speaking of "sell-outs," I'm fairly sensitive to that concept, and tend to reject the arguments of people who would dismiss the idea entirely with claims like "ALL music is supposed to 'sell.'" But with black metal, I reckon the only stuff I'd like *is* the sell-out stuff. Immortal, for instance: I like their 3 most recent albums (especially Sons of Northern Darkness) and found everything they'd done prior to that pretty much unlistenable. ("Pure Holocaust is their best"? Really?) And part of the reason was because I hated the "raw" (which I consider "bad") production on the older material.

Basically, I invited COF criticism so that a random DVDTalker might say something like, "There's another 'pop black metal' band with plenty of fans and clean production that is similar to, but better than, COF," or, "The old drummer left the band and moved on to a better one." However, a comment like "If you want REAL black metal, listen to this Norwegian band that you've never heard of!" wouldn't help me much.

But yeah, even at this early stage, it's unlikely anyone's gonna convince me the band completely "sux." It might be a few days or weeks before I get around to picking up that greatest hits thingy, but I'm pretty sure I'll grab it eventually.
Old 04-29-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh yeah, Invective, I just thought of another song that I liked. Its called A Gothic Romance, and I believe its on Dusk And Her Embrace, I'm not sure if its on the greatest hits.
Old 04-29-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have all of their studio albums from Dusk and Her Embrace on. For me, the hands down favorite is Dusk and Her Embrace.

Second would be Cruelty and the Beast. Definitely pick up the 2 cd version. The Maiden cover is so worth it.
Old 04-29-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by inVectiVe

"The old drummer left the band and moved on to a better one." .
Funny you should mention that, as COF's old drummer, Nicholas Barker did leave a couple years back to join Dimmu Borgir. Now, I don't think that they are a better band, but I've liked their last few albums and really like Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, their first with Nicolas on board (he's a great drummer and adds tremendously to their sound). Anyway, if you like COF, you might want to check that Dimmu Borgir CD out (many consider them to be black metal "sellouts" too. ).
Old 04-30-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Funny you should mention that, as COF's old drummer, Nicholas Barker did leave a couple years back to join Dimmu Borgir. Now, I don't think that they are a better band, but I've liked their last few albums and really like Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, their first with Nicolas on board (he's a great drummer and adds tremendously to their sound). Anyway, if you like COF, you might want to check that Dimmu Borgir CD out (many consider them to be black metal "sellouts" too. ).
Misanthropia is an excellent cd. Nicholas absolutely shreds. (...yeah, and the rest of the band are in top form, too )
Old 04-30-03, 07:40 PM
Banned

The Nick Barker reference was intentional. Again, back in the day I Napstered a couple songs from DB - PEM and liked what I heard, but never got around to buying the disc. Still, I'll keep it in the back of my mind - maybe I'll finally purchase it after I grab that greatest hits (COF) deal. Or maybe I'll just wait for Dimmu to make another new album; shouldn't it be about time for fresh material from them now?

But back to Damnation and a Day: One thing that's surprising me is how much I'm enjoying the vocals. In the past, I was always bothered by vocals I considered too androgynous (like, oh - I don't know......Rush) but I'm appreciating the howls and screams of Mr. Filth. Plus, the real female vocals are exquisite!
Old 04-30-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmmm, should have guessed that your reference wasn't a coincidence.

I like Dani's vocals because they vary so much within each song. Anything from deep evil growls to high pitched screeching. Actually, when I first heard the band, I thought there were different vocalists doing all that.
And yes, the female vocals from Sarah Diva Jezebel are always a nice touch, that add an extra dimension to the songs. She's been providing vocals since the Vempire EP.

And yes, we are definitely overdue for a new Dimmu studio album, IMO.
Old 05-01-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another vote for Cruelty and the Beast. It's a Hammer horror film set to music. And be sure to get the one with the bonus CD as mentioned.

Old 05-01-03, 09:56 PM
Banned

Wow, I figured the thread was dead when it fell off of page one. Thanks for reviving it!

Tonight I bought Lovecraft and Witch Hearts. But I still don't have a setup whereby I can listen to music and surf the web at the same time [in other words, I'm too lazy to unplug my Discman and bring it upstairs to the comp room], so I won't be able to give it a good listen until I'm done with my nightly Net escapades, which won't be for several hours.

Anyways, sometime around 4 AM I'll give the compilation a nice thorough spin. Then I'll return with a shameless bump my thoughts on it.
Old 05-02-03, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scorpio
Another vote for Cruelty and the Beast. It's a Hammer horror film set to music. And be sure to get the one with the bonus CD as mentioned.
That's true, and they even got Ingrid Pitt to reprise her role as Elizabeth Bathory. Very cool!
And yes, definitely get the one with the bonus CD. (I bought the single disc UK import first of all, so had to rebuy the CD just for the bonus CD). It has very nice covers from Iron Maiden (as already mentioned), Venom, and a cover of my favourite Sodom song, "Sodomy and Lust".
Old 05-02-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
My favorite CoF album has to be Vempire/Dark fairytales in Phallustein. A rare release but very good.
Old 05-02-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trout
My favorite CoF album has to be Vempire/Dark fairytales in Phallustein. A rare release but very good.
Thats a good one too. I think its only available as a UK import disc, but its worth the extra money.