Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

DC Talk: Are they no more?

Old 04-25-03, 01:25 PM
Banned

DC Talk: Are they no more?

This Christian rap/rock outfit had two GREAT Cds...JESUS FREAK and SUPERNATURAL.

Nothing has been released since than, and after scouring the net, I can't see anything about them anymore except Solo Albums.

Is the band finished?
Old 04-25-03, 03:17 PM
Cool New Member

Around the time their greatest hits album came out, they stated in an interview that they would indeed be recording more music as a group. That's why said greatest hits album was called "Intermission" - they were/are taking a break.
Old 04-25-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I doubt they broke up. They toured together last year performing solo material and then together as a band (in the same show)
Old 04-25-03, 11:28 PM
Banned

but I just read they are all working on MORE solo albums.

Tait's is good, Kevin's is ok, I don't care for rap so I didn't try Toby, don't they realize the sum of the parts is greater than the invidual pieces?

So fustrating.
Old 04-26-03, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya know, I thought the Kevin Max solo disc was more interesting than almost anything DC Talk has done (and I really enjoy some of DC's music). Tait surrounded himself with some good musicians (like Pete Stewart who is an excellent guitarist). Toby... I'll agree with you there. I'm done with rap.
Old 04-26-03, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too was surprised that instead of group work they are now (some of them) working on their second set of solo records.

I also was more interested in Tait and Kevin Max at first.

Surprisingly, I thought Toby McKeehan's album was the best of
all of them. Solid all they way through. It wasn't just rap....you can tell he's got quite a bit of talent.
Old 04-26-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Frank, I think Toby is talented as well. Probably one of the reasons he's pretty much in charge of his record label. I actually like the few heavy rocking songs on his first solo disc. I'm just a bit tired of rap or rap/rock. When DC Talk does it as a group I sort of long for something a bit different.
Old 04-26-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One interview that came out when Kevin Max released his first solo CD said that dc Talk still had one album contractually before their deal was done... but I don't think the Intermission or the 10th anniversary release of Free At Last count...

So, I'm hoping they record at least one more album of original material before they call it quits...
Old 04-26-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nevermind, I just checked www.dctalksolo.com and saw this in the news section...

April 24, 2003 - When ForeFront announced in March of 2001 that solo records were on the way from the guys of dc talk, something inside us all said that it would be awhile before a new album from the group was released. In separate interviews, tobyMac and Kevin Max have set the record straight about new dc talk material.

When asked about a new album backstage at the Dove Awards, tobyMac gave an honest answer: "I don't know, man. We're not gonna do another dc Talk record until we're dying to." He went on to clarify that he says he talks to Michael Tait and Kevin Max "all the time" and insists everything's cool between the longtime collaborators.

The brightest ray of light came from Kevin Max. When asked about the fate of dc talk in the May edition of CCM Magazine, Kevin says he'd really love to make another album if the band has the right material.
Old 04-28-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

An acquaintance of mine was asked to tour with K Max awhile back, and it seems like he turned him down. I think the deal was that he had gotten into some stuff that didn't exactly g-haus with the more, um, conservative Christians in contemp. Christian.
Old 04-28-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never been a fan, but I suspect they won't do another album anytime soon.
Old 04-29-03, 12:55 PM
Banned

really sucks. JF and Supernatural are just incredible.
Old 04-29-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Scot1458
really sucks. JF and Supernatural are just incredible.
I really liked JF. I don't think I've heard Supernatural, though.

What I really like is K. Max's book of poetry. It's so pretty.