Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Old School vs New School Metal.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old School vs New School Metal.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-03, 08:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OLD SCHOOL !!!!!!!
I'll take my Priest, MAIDEN , Sabbath, Dio, (Cliff Era) Metallica over any of that "designed for radio" nu-metal crap anyday !
Old 04-17-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Both,its hard to pick with old school Metallica,Slayer,Iron Maiden etc.& new school with Tool,Rage,System of a Down etc.I enjoy hard stuff from any generation I guess.
Old 04-17-03, 08:48 PM

There are a ton of newer metal bands that I like, but they definitely don't fall into most of what rock radio is currently cramming down our throats.

Stuff like Strapping Young Lad, Nevermore, Opeth and Arch Enemy (to name just a few) combine newer elements of production and vocals with older style arrangements and complexity, adding a little more aggression that's not all about how much mommy beat me.

There's also a bunch of bands that have updated that 80s thrash sound and made it heavy and new enough to be considered relevant...check out Blaze Bayley's solo band, maybe some Gamma Ray, or even Halford's new band.

I think stuff like System of a Down or Rammstein are terrific and talented bands as well, but if people are wondering where many of the interesting metal bands have gone, they have to turn off the radio and start searching in more underground areas.