Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: How often do you buy CD's?
Never
10.34%
Once in a great while...
41.38%
Once a month
12.07%
Once a week
17.24%
Twice a week
8.62%
More than three times a week
8.62%
Twikoff?
1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

How often do you buy CD's?

Old 04-05-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On average about 1 a month.
Old 04-07-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rarely. Didn't listen to lots of music anymore. But I still try to spare a few dime and time to get something I'm interested in.
Old 04-07-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: How often do you buy CD's?

Originally posted by Tarantino
Good question, considering music stores are going out of business due to less/no traffic...
i find the problem with stores that specialize in music tend to have too high prices. especially mall stores. why should *anyone* have to pay $20.00 for a classic rock cd by say, Fleetwood Mac? that's before taxes!

one can easily pick the same cd up at say Circuit City, or Best Buy for around $10-14. better yet, there's half.com, amazon.com, etc.

for me, it's easy to see. stop ripping people off and start making money.

as for me, i easily buy 50 or more cds per year. this may change, however, once i've exhausted the columbia house/bmg catalogues of anything worth while.
Old 04-07-03, 07:47 PM

Before Napster/Kazaa, it was probably 20 per year. Now I can't remember the last CD I bought.
Old 04-08-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think if distributors started selling discs at $10-$8, stores would get lots of traffic and this whole music mess would be solved. I'll never pay $20 for a CD that I can download. I'd probably buy one for $8.

They need to solve this, quick...or all music stores will burn.
Old 04-10-03, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe a few cds every other month... I download alot of stuff from underground sites.

-k
###
Old 04-10-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Napster and Kazaa pretty much stopped by CD buying habit. Now it's all spent on DVD's
Old 04-10-03, 11:02 AM
zig

Not very many at all. Like maybe 2 per year. But it has more to do with not finding any good music than anything else. Most bands I get sick of after hearing their single a few times, because the rest of the album is crap. But once in a while I find something good, and buy it.
Old 04-10-03, 03:55 PM

I bought two last year a Nine Inch Nails Album and The latest Tragically Hip
Old 04-10-03, 05:54 PM

The reason Best Buy and Circuit City can sell cds and dvds for so cheap is they sell everything else too. TVs, computers, etc.etc.. Those stores are not making that much money on cds and dvds since they are sold at cost (usually below cost for the first week it's released), but they make plenty or margin on audio/video stuff. The selection is slightly above average, easily finding all mainstream, big release stuff. For Indie/underground stuff, Best Buy is getting much better, but it's still nowhere near your local record shop.

Since your local record shop only sells dvds and cds, they have to sell at a couple dollars more to cover their overhead. They can't pull in that much business when Best Buy has the latest....let's say Avril whatshername album for 9.99 on that tuesday it's released, then 11.99 for the rest of the week, then it goes back up to 13.99 for regular price. But those store strive on their selection, which you can't beat with a stick it's so huge.

Since I moved to the most expensive city in America, my purchases have dropped dramatically, due to lack of funds. Also lak of interest in anything mainstream dropped it even more dramatically. Up until half a year ago, I didn't purchase any cds for about a year and half, then I found some new indie/underground stuff and bought about 30 cds with 2 months. My purchases ar strange. Sorry to vear off the subject.
Old 04-10-03, 09:13 PM
Banned

about 50 a month. And with the wonderful mail-in rebates, they total about $3. Woo-Hoo!!
Old 04-10-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It varies.

I hardly ever buy from stores, though. Only if Best Buy has something on sale real cheap, though.

Most of the "mainstream" stuff I'll buy from clubs like CH or BMG, or buy used. I'll also trade stuff off to a local used place for store credit if it's an album I don't feel like I need to own - you know, if it only has one good song on it. I figure if I only like one song, there's no need in keeping the whole CD around.

Also listen to a lot of underground/indie stuff, and I'm more inclined to pay a bit more for that just to support the small guys putting out good music.

I swear, the industry is just nuts. I can hear a song on radio/MTV/VH1 that I like now, and wait six months and buy the CD off of Ebay for a couple of dollars, whereas the CD would cost about $20.00 in a store.
Old 04-11-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only bought three CD's in the last 3+ years - Three Doors Down "Away From the Sun", Disturbed "The Sickness" and "Believe". There hasn't been too much that I've considered good enough to warrant spending $15 on. There's some older discs I will eventually pick up, but I'm in no rush to do so.
Old 04-14-03, 05:53 PM

I pick up 2 or 3 a week.