Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

White Stripes : Elephant

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

White Stripes : Elephant

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
Oh, and for Mort Crim, I used to watch him and Billy Bonds when we got Detroit stations. It sort of surprises me that he was a drunk. Are they both still on the air?
Neither one of them do the news anymore. However, I believe that both still do a short weekly segment. (That's where Mort's intro to "Little Acorns" came from.) Bill Bonds main gig right now is shilling for Gardner-White furniture

jim
Old 04-07-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is a pretty damn good album, I am really enjoying it. Not sure yet if I'd call it a "classic" album (that's a pretty bold statement IMO) but it certainly is really good... right now my favourite tracks (in order of preference) are WELL IT'S TRUE THAT WE LOVE ONE ANOTHER, YOU'VE GOT HER IN YOUR POCKET & THERE'S NO HOME FOR YOU HERE. Those songs are all excellent...

MATT
Old 04-08-03, 12:22 AM
zig

I love it. It's the first album to make me really passionate about music in a long time. Thank god for the White Stripes
Old 04-08-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I've been listening to it for 10 days now non stop. Here's my track-by-track review:

"Seven Nation Army": Jack whispering/screaming into a distorted mic. Octave-pedaled guitar providing real bottom for the first time. There's also a really cool Zepplin-esque guitar riff at the end with some pearcing highs. This song starts the album off in a slightly creepy manner. It's hints at all elements that are to follow: confused sex, driving dynamics, stomping riffage and pounding drums.

"Black Math": The Stripes rip **** up here. Straight punk chord progression with Meg bashing as fast as her arms can flail. Mid-tempo break with Jack going aw-aw-aw-aw-aw-aw should sound cliched, but it works. This track reminds me of the Stooges circa Raw Power. Early seventies punk.

"There's no Home for You Here": My favorite track on this album. Yeah, the riff is straight out of Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground off of WBC, but who cares. It's definitely a blues tradition to rework and hone your best stuff and DLATDG was one of the better songs on the WBC. Great Peter Townsend power chords on the chorus, quiet verses. And then comes that all-destroying break that I mentioned in an earlier post. It's sounds like a punk Queen with a chorus of Jack White imps behind a monumental squall. Pure rock heaven. I also love the meloditron florishes on this one.

"I Just Don't Know What To do With Myself": going from strength to strength, this song has a ridiculously terrific build to the chorus. Just when you're hoping that Jack takes it over the top he does, becoming completely unhinged:"SWEET....LOVE....HERE...." wow. Great stuff. The final, triumphant riff is just a louder version of what has been going on the whole song, but damn it takes your breath away. When combined with Jack pleading/whining vocals this song perfectly captures adolescent longing and frustration. This is the classic single on the album.

"Cold Cold Night": this is a sneaky little track, Meg's first vocal performance with some seriously deep organ tones running constantly in the background. It's sexy as hell, when Meg says "You know that it's warm inside, and you'll come running" in her Mo Tucker/little girl voice you indeed feel the temperature rise. A lot of people say that this song reminds them of a Fever-esque vamp, but it reminds me more of prime, dirty Loaded-era Velvet Underground.

"I Want to be the Boy to Warm your Mother's Heart": this is yet another great song. Oedipal lyrics, a terrific slide guitar solo and a tin-pan alley piano. I love the line "I'm inclined to finish high school". This is a Holden Caulfield song about a nasty but smart little **** who feels sorry for himself, but has a huge ego. The movie Rushmore is entirely captured in this song itf you listen closely.

"You've Got Her in You Pocket": sweet, dangerous little Dylan-esque folk tune. Just Jack and his acoustic struming away. The bridge is devestatingly beautiful with the line "And in your own mind you know you're lucky just to know her" that perfectly captures how I feel about my wife. But then, the chorus is about wanting to control and restrain your loved one a la "Under My Thumb". A very confusing and entirely truthful exploration of love. This is another very strong track.

"Ball and Biscuit" straight, sweaty, blood-drenched blues about being the "seventh son". A 7 minute White Stripes song (!) that doesn't let up once. The numerous solos are like ear Drano, cutting through all the crap you've heard this year. It should sound a little cliched, but it proves the enduring power of Delta blues. You can hear the Devil working his mojo in this one. This is a song the Rolling Stones wish that they did on "Let it Bleed".

"The Hardest Button to Button": stop/start punk with some great lyrics about family/fame. Not one of my favorite tracks on this album, but still pretty great.

"Little Acorns": terrific slab of Zepplin rock with hilarious lyrics ("be like the squirrel, girl, be like the squirrel). I love Jack's wailing guitar throught this song. He's almost thrashing and the wall of distortion he creates is astounding. Mort Crim's intro reminds my of the terrific sample on Ministry's "So What". The break from Mort to music is very sloppy because of the lack of computers used on this album, but sounds garagishly great.

"Hyponotize": this year's "Fell in Love With a Girl" a little pop-punk zipper that's here and gone. Meg's cymbal work is terrific on this song. This song has a Buzzcocks vibe to it: great melodies and counterpunching 4/4 backbeat. This should be one of the singles off of this album and it should be a smash hit.

"The Air Near my Fingers": upper-mid tempo rock. Not one of the more memerable tracks on the album. I have no real impression of it. Need to listen to this one more. I'm not really paying attention because I'm waiting for...

"Girl, You Have no Faith in Medicine": heroin-soaked New Yawkinan stomp with an unbelievable riff from Jack that drives like a ****ing Mack truck. Probably the best lyrical use of the word Acetominiphen ever with a coked-up delivery that destroys all in it's path. Jack is wound up so tight on this one, when it comes time for a solo he nearly breaks all of his strings with his lightning fast double-picking. This is Husker Du levels of tension here. This might be my second favorite song on the album, it's close.

"It's True that We Love One Another": campfire-joke-folk with Jack and Hollly Golightly flirting while Meg rolls her eyes. The coda with Holly talking about a "cup of tea" is hilarious. This song reminds me of Minor Threat's "Salad Days" a refreshing break that shows that the band doesn't take themselves or rock music too seriously. This song is also just a plain great song, you'll be singing it all day once you hear it. This is a terrific epilogue to one of the best albums of the past few years.

Well that's it.

Last edited by Hiro11; 04-08-03 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-10-03, 01:38 PM

Nice review Hiro!

The local paper (San Diego Union Tribune) had this review:

White Stripes' bankrupt 'Elephant' borrows too heavily from the past, and gives no creative payout

By George Varga
POP MUSIC CRITIC

April 10, 2003

"Elephant," the fourth and newest release from neo-garage-rock darlings the White Stripes, does not come close to being an "album of the year" contender, as some music critics here and in England have breathlessly declared.

But if it did, the question would be: Which year?

Drenched in retro-rock chic and bluesy swagger, "Elephant" rings as hollow as any album that borrows so brazenly from the past without adding anything innovative to it.

There are some new touches – a dash of piano here, a chorus of double-tracked voices there, some overdubbed guitar parts – to differentiate it from 1999's "White Stripes," 2000's "De Stijl" and 2001's commercial breakthrough, "White Blood Cells."

But the heavily distorted, punk-blues template used by hipper-than-thou singer-guitarist Jack White and faux drummer-singer Meg White remains largely unchanged. Ditto the cutesy affectations of their less-is-more approach and "keeping it real" ethos, which Jack once described thusly to an interviewer: "I like things as honest as possible, even if sometimes they can only be an imitation of honesty."

Yes, the White Stripes' raw, brash sound stands apart from formulaic teen-pop, hip-hop, electronica and metal, but that's more a matter of fortuitous timing than artistic vision.

Yes, this Detroit duo has attitude to spare.

And, yes, Jack and Meg clearly have a great record collection, as demonstrated by the shout-outs they give in interviews to such blues pioneers as Son House, Robert Johnson and Blind Willie McTell, country divas Loretta Lynn and Dolly Parton, and idiosyncratic rockers like the Stooges, Captain Beefheart and the Monks.

Not coincidentally, Johnson's "Stop Breaking Down" and Parton's "Jolene" are often the highlights at concerts by the White Stripes. But that's because these timeless classics are vastly superior to the group's own songs, which qualify as "originals" in name only.

Put simply, having cool influences doesn't mean squat if you can't build on them to create something fresh of your own. And no amount of attitude can disguise the fact that Meg couldn't play her way out of a paper bag.

This failing may be inspiring to other would-be drummers whose enthusiasm is unmarred by actual ability. However, it also means that even the most animated White Stripes songs have a leaden rhythmic foundation that makes them thump and plod when they should swing and fly.

What Jack and Meg do offer is an elemental, superficially clever pastiche that has undeniable energy, but little else.

"Bail and Biscuit," to cite the most derivative example, sounds like Led Zeppelin, the Rolling Stones and Johnny Winter in a blender, with lyrics – But it was my mother who made me the seventh son – cribbed from blues pioneer Willie Dixon.

"Black Math" also sounds like a Led Zep retread, minus the finesse. "In the Cold, Cold Night," which features what is (thankfully) Meg's only lead vocal on the album, is a thinly disguised variation on the Peggy Lee hit "Fever," but without a hint of the original's sultry passion.

Or consider "There's No Home for You Here," which includes a segment so clearly appropriated from John Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth" that Yoko Ono might consider legal action. And "Seven Nation Army," the catchy opening cut and first single, has attracted attention mostly because it opens with what sounds like a bass guitar. (It's not, but in the reductionist world of the White Stripes, even the hint of a new instrument is a big deal.)

The proudly lo-fi "Elephant" lurches along through abrupt shifts. That the standout track is a potent cover of Burt Bacharach and Hal David's "I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself," previously covered by Dusty Springfield and Elvis Costello, further underscores Jack's compositional shortcomings.

On "I Want to Be the Boy to Warm Your Heart," he sings: It feels like everything I say is a lie. That makes for an interesting contrast with the liner notes, which state in part "Honesty in bloom, heart on sleeve, life ever exposed and safe," and from Jack and Meg's continued declarations that they are "brother and sister," when it's been documented that they are a divorced couple.

Like fellow garage-rock sensations the Strokes, the White Stripes sound a lot better in theory than on record. Their blurring of sincerity and winking insincerity is readily apparent, although both are difficult to gauge in this post-ironic ageEither way, "Elephant" is skin-deep at best. That may make the White Stripes perfect for trendy music fans with fast-food sensibilities. Anyone else will have to look elsewhere.

White Stripes

"Elephant"

Third Man / V2

**1/2

For the record I disagree. What really makes the White Stripes stand out is their stripped down sound and how much they create with only 2 members (and only 1 of them talented ... heh!).
Old 04-10-03, 05:11 PM
Banned

You'll always have those people who can't stand it when something becomes too popular. btw anyone who still says Meg can't drum clearly hasn't seen the band live. She's no Dennis Chambers or Neil Peart, but like Ringo Starr still fits the band perfectly.
Old 04-17-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just discovered this band the other day after seeing them in the Album of the Month section in a couple of magazines, and also seeing their new single 'Seven Nation Army' on the music channels.
Man this band takes me back. Almost all the music I like seems to be in this band, Hendrix, Led Zep, Guns n Roses, The Tea Party, The Doors.
I think a FHM photo caption said it best. 'They look like glue sniffers but sound damn fine.'
Old 04-20-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I read somewhere that the cd could be purchase with five different covers. Anyone heard this? I've only seen one.
Old 04-20-03, 10:46 AM

This is a disappointing album. "Seven Nation Army" is hands down the best song they've done thus far, but only half of the album is even interesting. There were way too many instances where I was thinking, "wow, this sounds exactly like another White Stripes song," particularly ones from White Blood Cells.
Old 04-20-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
I read somewhere that the cd could be purchase with five different covers. Anyone heard this? I've only seen one.
There are six different covers, but not for the U.S. CD. Here are the different covers:

US CD
US LP
UK CD
UK LP
Australia/Japan CD
Australia/Japan LP

Old 04-20-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the pix Spike. I thought maybe they were totally different situations.
Old 04-23-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is the best album you'll hear all year! Amazing! btw, Meg White did not sing Cold Cold Night.
Old 04-23-03, 08:34 PM

Cool, I think I'll be picking this cd up tomorrow. I really like "Seven Nation Army".
Old 04-23-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Lara Means
Meg White did not sing Cold Cold Night.
Wow, that's weird...especially since she sings it at shows.

Last edited by Spike Jonze; 04-23-03 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just a reminder that they're on Conan this week-Tue through Friday.
Old 04-25-03, 01:13 PM

The local paper once again posts some more White Stripes smack:

STRIPE TEASE

Fans ignore artistic shortcomings as bluesy Detroit duo succeeds while playing coy with the public

By George Varga
POP MUSIC CRITIC

April 24, 2003

Is the White Stripes rock's biggest underground sensation to break out – or the most overrated? (Answer: Both.)

Is this much-hyped duo from Detroit the neo-garage-rock answer to Led Zeppelin – or a post-ironic version of the Monkees with better guitar work? (Answer: Both.)

And is the brash, primal music made by singer-guitarist Jack White and his partner, would-be drummer and vocalist Meg White, derivative and formulaic – or fresh and daring? (Answer: Yes and no.)

If the responses to these questions don't clarify matters, well, that's par for the course.

Because not much about the White Stripes, which performs a sold-out San Diego show Wednesday at SOMA, is clear to begin with. And that perfectly suits this self-contradictory duo, which thrives on its artistic limitations and gimmicky self-promotion.

Prior to the recent release of its fourth and newest album, "Elephant," now ranked at No. 13 on the national Billboard charts, Jack went out of his way to downplay expectations. He even predicted universal disappointment among fans for the album, the sequel to the duo's 2002 commercial breakthrough release, "White Blood Cells."

Of course, it was a calculated way to increase expectations and interest in the album, which was released on the group's own Third Man label and is distributed by the major label V2.

Jack also suggested that White Stripes had disbanded. This contention, which was then quickly dismissed as a misquote, follows his frequent claims that the group will break up after its upcoming fifth album (a position from which he's shied away in recent months).

This kind of winking double-talk makes it all the more impressive that the Motor City duo has managed to maintain its all-important indie street cred.

Never mind the White Stripes' appearances on the "MTV Movie Awards" and "Saturday Night Live," or that Jack and Meg opened several arena shows last year for the Rolling Stones.

Never mind that the stage uniforms Jack and Meg religiously sport – '60s-style outfits that never deviate from a red, white and black color scheme – would get any teen-pop act laughed out of the room.

And never mind that the White Stripes have steadfastly billed

themselves as a "brother-sister" act, despite the fact Jack and Meg are actually a divorced couple, not siblings (or, as they have more recently claimed, cousins).

Making sense of it all is pointless, beyond the fact that these silly PR machinations detract from what should matter most about any band, and that's the music.

Alas, the White Stripes' music is the most problematic issue, at least for anyone who values originality and honesty – two qualities lacking in the work of this retro-chic pair.

Jack acknowledged the absence of the latter in an interview with an English music paper a few years ago, saying: "I like things as honest as possible, even if sometimes they can only be an imitation of honesty." Hmm, with this kind of logic, can a career in politics be looming for Jack after his duo's promised demise?

Either way, the White Stripes' music ranks among the most imitative heard on either side of the Atlantic in some time, rivaling that of such derivative neo-garage-rock sensations as the Strokes, the Hives and the Vines.

This doesn't mean Jack and Meg aren't capable of producing some visceral sonic thrills on stage, where the excitement of the moment can outweigh the weaknesses of Jack's not remotely original songs and Meg's ham-fisted nondrumming. Nor does it mean that the two aren't genuinely enthusiastic about making music that should sound familiar to anyone whose idea of classic-rock predates the Pixies and Nirvana.

By combining punk-inspired discontent and garage-rock raunch with minimalist instrumentation and the raw sensuality and down-and-out dejection of the blues, Jack and Meg have created a less-is-more approach. That approach is further emphasized by their sparse, guitar-and-drums-only instrumentation and lo-fi recording techniques.

The appeal of the White Stripes is obvious for youthful fans seeking an alternative to blustering rap-metal, computerized teen-pap, self-congratulatory hip-hop and the numbing sameness of most commercial pop radio in general. And for anyone unfamiliar with the pioneering blues artists whose music Jack and Meg shamelessly appropriate, the White Stripes probably sound like a revelation.

But the more you know about such blues greats as Robert Johnson, Son House and Blind Willie McTell (to name three of Jack's avowed favorites), the more obvious it becomes that the White Stripes are plundering a rich musical past of African-American music few of their listeners even know exist.

Jack and Meg's Led Zeppelin fixation is especially blatant, be it on "Why Can't You Be Nicer To Me?" (from the White Stripes' second album, "De Stijl") or "Black Math" and "Bail and Biscuit" (from the new "Elephant"), to cite just a few examples. Given how indebted that legendary English band was to American blues, hearing the White Stripes mimic Zeppelin's Robert Plant and Jimmy Page is in effect like hearing a distillation of a distillation, however spirited it may be.

If you enjoy Jack's slide-guitar work, then hearing the blazing playing of, say, Muddy Waters, Freddie Roulette and hot newcomer Robert Randolph should be a revelation.

If you enjoy the White Stripes' earnest but pale versions of Johnson's "Stop Breaking Down," House's "Death Letter" and McTell's "Your Southern Can Is Mine," prepare to have your socks blown off when you experience the originals, which should be as close as your neighborhood record store or the Internet.

Of course, any musician in any idiom is shaped by their influences, and even the greatest began by emulating the sound and style of their heroes. What matters is what new or established artists do with those influences and how they reshape them into something new and distinctive by adding their own ideas and innovations.

To be blunt, reinventing the music of the past is a noble goal; regurgitating it is not, as everyone from the Rolling Stones to the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion has discovered over the years. After four albums, Jack and Meg still seem unable to transcend their influences.

Yes, Jack's admiration for Delta and urban blues is commendable, since virtually every musical style from jazz and rock to heavy metal and hip-hop owes a profound debt to blues.

But he has thus far shown himself incapable of adding his own imprint to the music he so obviously loves. And while he clearly has excellent taste in blues, folk and pop, as evidenced by his cover versions of Bob Dylan's "One More Cup of Coffee," Burt Bacharach's "I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself" and various blues gems, his own songs don't even hint at matching them for quality or originality.

As for Meg's plodding drumming, the less said the better. Or, as one contributor to a music Web site in England recently posted online: "Meg White is cute, but is a disgrace to all female drummers (like me) out there – wait – a disgrace to ALL drummers out there."

The White Stripes are to be commended for helping re-popularize an elemental, back-to-basics approach in an age dominated by high-tech musical dreck. But unless and until Jack and Meg are able to begin innovating and stop emulating, the White Stripes' music will continue to ring hollow.
The Monkees? Jeez did Jack steal this guy's girlfriend or anally rape his grandma while pouring sugar in his gas tank?
Old 04-25-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you see, both of these reviews have criticized the album for sounding "too much" like the past. i feel this is exactly what makes this album so good. they are sharing their total respect for the past by writing some excellent original rock songs that borrow the older concepts. they aren't ripping them off!

i was never interested in the white stripes until i heard this album. i've yet to even listen to their previous efforts. this album is a defining moment for a band that seems to have alot mroe to give in the coming years.
Old 04-26-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That review is just stupid. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Enough said.
Old 08-23-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Well, this thread is prob. the best for posting my thoughts:

First, my apologies to Rivero for saying that the Stripes "were not that great" I based this off of only hearing fell in love with a girl and while I more than take my comments back........I still think Fell in love with a girl is one of their more average songs (but of course having listened to it a lot more, I do think it's a good tune).

With that said, I'm a new Stripes fan and I'm more than lucky because I have 4 of the greatest albums ever made. I cannot get enough of them, I never really sit around and listen to music but I find myself blasting the White Stripes albums all night - with of course for the time being.....Ball & Biscuit getting the most replays

I'm just so damn happy that I have finally found a band where I like every song on each album - IMO they don't have one bad song - just amazing stuff and now my all time fav stuff