Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Metallica's "St. Anger" [Part One] [CD includes bonus DVD; due June 10!]

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From www.billboard.com: New Metallica Album To Include Bonus DVD

Metallica's upcoming album, "St. Anger," will be bundled with a bonus DVD featuring live versions of each of the set's 11 tracks. The DVD component for the album, due June 10 from Elektra, will feature the first footage of Metallica playing with new bassist Rob Trujillo, who in late February took over for exited member Jason Newsted.

"Recording began last Friday, March 21st, in the rehearsal space at HQ with the band performing six songs ... the first with Rob for the cameras," the band said on its official Web site. Longtime collaborator Wayne Isham is directing the DVD, the next five songs for which "will be shot soon," according to the site.

As previously reported, Metallica will support "St. Anger" on the Summer Sanitarium tour with Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Deftones, and Mudvayne, among others. The tour begins July 4 in Detroit.

Beforehand, Metallica will be honored as the third mtvICON at a May 6 event in Los Angeles. A host of acts are expected to offer versions of the band's songs during the tribute, which will culminate in a short by Metallica.

-- Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
Old 03-28-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Who will be playing bass on the album?

Trujillo or Bob Rock?

I had heard that Bob Rock was playing the bass tracks for the album, but I don't know if those were just temporary tracks or not.
Old 03-28-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think bob was just playing them temporarily or for rehersals. But I thought I remember hearing something about that too. The album still has a couple more months, so Robert might have had time to record his parts.

Or maybe James played bass on it, who knows until it comes out hehe.
Old 03-28-03, 03:20 PM

Great attempt by Metallica to thwart those who insist they will just download the album and not buy it. Check out the logo in the back, remember the good old days?

Old 03-28-03, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Geez, I was just going to post this! I'm so psyched I can't even stand it. All 11 tracks live with Trujillo, this is gonna be the best day of the year for me.

Btw, Bob Rock did the bass work on the album, the parts were written by the band and played by Bob Rock. When Trujillo joined the songs were complete aside from production and mastering.
Old 03-28-03, 03:37 PM
Suspended

I'm hoping for the best with Metallica!
Old 03-28-03, 04:00 PM

I hope they kick some old school metal as opposed to the radio rock stuff they have put out on the last few cd's.
I am real curious,i cant wait to hear it
Old 03-28-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
I'm hoping for the best with Metallica!
being a club member, i've got access to all sorts of great videos from the studio and what-not. There have been several small clips of new stuff so far, from what i've heard it's incredible.

However, there are only 2 songs written by Metallica that I've not liked. (trapped under ice, better than you) BUT word on the street is that this new stuff is closer to Puppets than it is to Load(s).

The sad thing for me, is people just simply put a judgement on them after the commercial success of the "black album" and then the metalheads and piracy freaks got all over em. MY GOD they cut their hair!!! HOLY SHIZNIT they're touring on Lollapalooza!!! They want us to PAY for music, what the fuk?? Etc....

But people didn't dig Load or Reload (which is fine), however I think that it wasn't because they didn't like the tunes, it was that they didn't like the band and what they had done. If a person just doesn't like the stuff then that is all good, no biggy, but I hate how people tend to shiznit on them for changing and trying new things. If I had the luxury of making music for my life, I wouldn't put limits on what I can do, because when you get huge and successful the music is all that matters, cuz the $$ will be there, the fans (that matter) will come to shows, and ultimately the music you make is your own and for yourself not anyone else. So who cares what others think? If they dig it, then jump on for a ride.

The really payoff is gonna be the dvd and Metallica live, because Trujillo adds a totally new dimension to the band, and brings them back to the days of Cliff and his ridiculous bass talent.
Old 03-28-03, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

from kerrang, the most highly praised metal mag on earth.

"The volume is intoxicating, the songs even more so...Metallica havent gone backwards they have gone elsewhere, somewhere they haven't really gone before. Much of the speed is back -speed that recalls the days of Battery and Dyers Eve -but the format is markedly different. This isn't controlled agression, much of it is uncontrolled violence. Its ironic that at a time when the band are so at peace with one another they should make an album that sounds like they're at war. As one track follows another - there are only working titles like 'Monster' and 'Frantic'- the difference not only between what you expect but what has gone becomes clear. There's no space between the drums and the guitars, there are riffs everywhere, there is anger and confusion -'Do not know the answer, I dont even know what the question is' is one lyric - there is swearing and shouting and time changes and speed and fury...

It is difficult on a first listen not to surmise that St Anger is the finest thing Metallica have put their name to. All the songs, I'm assured, sound like this. There are no ballads. Instead there's an assault of speed and volume and anger and intensity. This is exactly the kind of thing that made a slogan such as 'Birth, school, metallica, death' an apposite and appropiate summation of everything this band could muster, both in themsleves and their audience."

http://www.kerrang.com/nav?page=kerr...rrang.magazine
Old 03-28-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

also, these 7 song titles are known, may be working titles, not certain.

All Within My Hands

Dirty Window

St. Anger

Monster

Dead Kennedy Rolls

Frantic

Cursed
Old 03-28-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sure hope there are no ballads. Maybe they have gone back to their roots.
Old 03-28-03, 04:44 PM
Suspended

Sounds great db!! Metallica used to be my favorite band, so If they are going back to a more "metal" sound, that will be ****ing awesome! I have Load/Re-Load, which I do like....but not nearly as much as their earlier efforts.
Old 03-28-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by db27
It is difficult on a first listen not to surmise that St Anger is the finest thing Metallica have put their name to.
I hope this is true!
Old 03-28-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

good old school heavy metal??? YES!!

Looking forward to it....sounds like it is going to be AWESOME!!!!
Old 03-29-03, 02:25 AM

Well put, DB27. I have been with Metallica since '86 and will be until James starts rappin'. Looking forward to the album, but will have to pass on the tour. Way too much to pay to see just Metallica, because the rest of the line up is just awful. Why couldn't they have done a Queens of the Stone, Monster Magnet, Down, Slayer, Audioslave tour?
Old 03-29-03, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by db27
It is difficult on a first listen not to surmise that St Anger is the finest thing Metallica have put their name to.
Needless to say this is a very bold statement. I'm hoping its true because quite frankley I'm tired of listening to Metallica play music from Load, Reload etc. Not because its such bad music (which it really isn't compared to other bands) but because I know that they can do so much better.

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this question, and I guess I'll find out when I get the album, but are there any instrumentals? I always enjoy listening to something like Call of Ktulu or To Live Is To Die.
Old 03-29-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't wait, I've loved many Metallica Albums, but I cannot call one a favorite of mine. St. Anger will maybe change this.
Old 03-31-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

also of note, some serious hints being dropped on the club about possible Pushead coverart. he did the AJFA album and countless Metallica t-shirts.

i love his work, but i'd prefer if he left off his skulls. which of course he is most well known for.

we shall see.
Old 03-31-03, 10:27 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I found this posted on a metal forum I visit:
The songs are brutal as hell, quite possible the most aggressive material the band has ever penned. They go all over the place — the attack is non-stop and shockingly ferocious. Musically, it's twisted, intricate, progressive, f***ed-up and, more often than not, ultra-fast metal with industrial tinges. Lars Ulrich's trademark thick drum sound is nowhere to be found. Instead, the snare drum sounds like an oil barrel being smashed into pieces. At times the double-bass drumming reaches supersonic levels of speed and there are even parts that border on blast beats! James sings, screams and makes noises that could be straight out of a gory zombie flick. Traditional guitar solos? Forget it! It sounds as if SLAYER's Kerry King and AUDIOSLAVE's Tom Morello have had a big sit-down to decide on how to present the next chapter of the equilibristic side of the Devil's music. Melodies and catchy choruses? Forget it! It's all riffs, riffs, riffs… It's truly f***ing sick stuff. As hard as it might to believe, METALLICA have made a musical U-turn that is nothing but sensational. Judging from these five, as-yet-untitled, songs, 'St. Anger' will, hands down, be the most brutal album ever to be released by a multi-million selling act.
This was written by some dude from what I'm told is like the Scandinavian equivalent of Kerrang! And those Scandinavian types sure know their metal.
Old 03-31-03, 01:21 PM
Suspended

June is too ****ing far away man, I'm dying to hear their new stuff!! It been a very long time since I've been this excited over new Metallica!
Old 03-31-03, 01:34 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I also read on that forum that the album's about to start hitting the illegal downloading circuit...
Old 03-31-03, 03:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Looking forward to this...bigtime!
Old 03-31-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found this posted on a metal forum I visit:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The songs are brutal as hell, quite possible the most aggressive material the band has ever penned. They go all over the place — the attack is non-stop and shockingly ferocious. Musically, it's twisted, intricate, progressive, f***ed-up and, more often than not, ultra-fast metal with industrial tinges. Lars Ulrich's trademark thick drum sound is nowhere to be found. Instead, the snare drum sounds like an oil barrel being smashed into pieces. At times the double-bass drumming reaches supersonic levels of speed and there are even parts that border on blast beats! James sings, screams and makes noises that could be straight out of a gory zombie flick. Traditional guitar solos? Forget it! It sounds as if SLAYER's Kerry King and AUDIOSLAVE's Tom Morello have had a big sit-down to decide on how to present the next chapter of the equilibristic side of the Devil's music. Melodies and catchy choruses? Forget it! It's all riffs, riffs, riffs… It's truly f***ing sick stuff. As hard as it might to believe, METALLICA have made a musical U-turn that is nothing but sensational. Judging from these five, as-yet-untitled, songs, 'St. Anger' will, hands down, be the most brutal album ever to be released by a multi-million selling act.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was written by some dude from what I'm told is like the Scandinavian equivalent of Kerrang! And those Scandinavian types sure know their metal.

--------------

HOLY CRAP, I LOVE READING THIS STUFF! I CANNOT WAIT ANY LONGER!!

Old 03-31-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I found the entire article over on the boards at Metclub, holy shiznit. June 10th is gonna be a rebirth.

-------
this swedish magazine called close-up has reported what looks to be a really great review of 5 songs from st. anger

http://www.closeupmagazine.net./metallica.php
------

UPDATED translation:

Close-up's Martin Carlsson leaves an exclusive report from the studio north of San Francisco where Metallica's working on their new album "St. Anger".

I swear on the bible, on my mother's grave or whatever - the following text is nothing less than the complete truth. This statement needs to be made, quite simply because you're probably not going to believe me. I almost wonder if I've really listened to the new Metallica album "St Anger" myself, or if somebody has been playing a trick on me and played me some new, exciting aggro-band. You see, "St. Anger" is a chock, one of music history's greatest! It is as if "Load" and "Reload" has been deleted from the map, as if the Black Album never existed, as if the Metallica we've come to know never really existed. The five songs (all of which are as of yet untitled but the title-track) I've heard exhibits a sound so EXTREME and raw that all you can do is sit there chocked with your jaw on the floor.

I'm not joking.

Twenty journalists are gathered in the control-room of the studio north of San Francisco. We get comfortable. The air is vibrating with excitement, and then? BAM!! The first song (working title: Frantic) kicks in with hypnotic, almost industrial Slayer-riffs. What the **** is going on? "You live it or lie it", chants James Hetfield and goes on with "my lifestyle determines my death style". It is ultra-tight metalcore like it has never been performed before. Lars ulrich's fat drum-sound is replaced with an oilrig-similar snare that's usually reminiscent of robotic industry-metal. "Do I have the strength?", a wondering Hetfield screams in the middle of the chaos. It is a maddening Blitzkriegstrategy with attack-waves of battering riffs, attacking from every angle for five minutes and 54 seconds.

I'm not joking.

The war as just begun, and I really mean THE WAR, because this music would be the perfect soundtrack to the media coverage of the war on Iraq. The title-track blazes away with a ultra-fast bulldozermosh that leaves Max Cavalera far behind. We are talking monster-metallized punk from another planet; a twisted and overdosed Dischange just released from rehab! We are talking beyond sound-speed, especially regarding the drum-work. The double-bass pounds away mercilessly and Lars Ulrich's use of the snare are almost -get this!- blast-beats!! It's going to be interesting seeing him trying to repeat this live - if the dane is usually soaked from sweat and carried to the lodge after traditional concerts, then he's going to need an oxygen-mask and hospital personnel to wake him back to life after this. Following this amazing intro comes a softer part where Hetfield sings "St. Anger around my neck, he never gets respect." This ten second long part, recurring a couple of times in the seven minute and 24 second long song, is the only part that could be classified as soft. The Producer Bob Rock (also on bass) assures me that this is the calmest, most stripped-down part on the whole album. WOW! A riff similar to "Creeping Death" follows. Hetfield howls "**** it all and ****ing no regrets" (an exact recapitulation of the classic in "Damage Inc."). Towards the end of the song he screams "I need to set my anger free"... and this is exactly what he and Metallica does: releasing all their anger.

I'm not joking.

Song number three starts up like an updated "Ride the Lightning": MEga-fat thrash-metal in midtempo speed. The vocalist spits: "It and you can look out mother****ers, here I come!". Sepultura's "Roots"-era sound reminiscent in this song, with the refrain "It world" repeated again and again. Before the song ends at five minutes and 51 seconds, Hetfield shouts "enough, enough, enough"

I'm not joking.

Have you missed the complex song-structures of "And Justice for All"? Compared to this around eight minutes long piece (working title "Monster"), the songs of the 1988 album seem more like simple Ramones' ditties. A progressive blanket of sound that warms like a massive and super-intricate Tool, only a thousand times heavier! Hetfield chants over a delicious part that goes into what could be called a chorus with some use of fantasy: "We the people, are we the people?". This phrase is repeated two times and "some kind of monster" three times before the singer concludes "this monster lives". There is actually something here that could be called groove, not entirely unlike Pantera although vastly heavier. The guitars are so damned insane, so damned evil, so damned incredible! The fact is that there isn't anything remotely like a traditional guitar-solo in any of these five songs. Hetfield and Kirk Hammett use their instruments like surgical tools. The guitars shrieks and scream as if Tom Morello and Kerry King made a deal and decided to take the Devil's music not one but ten steps further.

I'm not joking.

The most wicked part is however the last, whose working-name is "All Within My Hands". A very strange piece with an instrumental intro of one minute and fifteen seconds. The tempo is ultra-fast, taking so many twists and turns that you get all dizzy. "All Within My Hands" is shouted and then sung in an Alice In Chains manner. And the ending? MAN OH MAN! Like a possessed madman Hetfield screams "Kill kill kill kill!!" ad absurdum - we're talking deranged shrieks coming from a psychopathic Tom Araya (think Slayer's "Kill Again" only even more insane). You'd think it was over after that. But no. It is like watching an exciting thriller with so many surprises that you finally don't believe an ending is forthcoming. Yes, after a heavy-as-lead finale it winds down at eight minutes and 55 seconds.

I'm not joking.

20 Journalists finally leave the control-room and look at each other. No one needs say anything; the looks say it all: What in god's name have we just experienced? That Metallica, once tired old farts, have made a complete 180, and now sound like a bunch of hormone-reeking bucks in heat, is the most incredible thing that's happened in music history. "St. Anger" is the real "Reload". "St. Anger" doesn't sound like anything the group has done before, it hardly even sounds like Metallica. "St. Anger" is a modern, super-brutal metal-album that is going to chock and knock the entire music world. Melodies? Nope, there's not much here that reminds one of traditional melodies or arrangements such as verse, bridge, chorus. The 10th of June could become known as the day that shook the world. If you haven't catched on yet:

I'm not joking.

Martin Carlsson
Old 03-31-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like its going to be a Meshuggah album.

I can't wait! I'd give my right eye if I could have this CD in my hand right now.

Last edited by Goat3001; 03-31-03 at 10:55 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.