Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

XM radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM radio?

Does anyone have it? I'm looking into getting the Delphi system. Any feedback on both the service and the hardware?

PS: sorry if this is a dupe, I was unable to find a thread as the search criteria is too short.
Old 03-24-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out http://www.xmfan.com for an excellent XM radio forum.

I think the Delphi SkiFi unit is the way to go. You only have to pay for one subscription and you can take the unit everywhere with you. I have a docking station in my car along with three stations in my house. I even bought a mini plug to mini plug patch cable so I can run the sound through my computer.

The quality of sound is excellent. I used to listen to a classic rock station that I liked in my car but I've been listening to xm radio almost exclusively since I bough it. About the only things I miss are the traffic report and the weather report.

One thing that was strange - the independent shops aren't allowed to sell the SkiFi. You have to go through the big chains like Best Buy and Circuit City. But if you know a good installer, you can buy the unit from the big boys and have your installer put it in for you. I had the local Sound Shop install my car unit and fm modulator. It was the best $50 I ever spent - they did an excellent job. I have heard too my horror stories about BB and CC to even consider letting them touch my car.
Old 03-24-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, Tandem. I saw a deal with Delphi direct at the Auto Show: 99 bucks for the unit and either a free car or home station free.. I'm kicking myself for not doing it.

Where did you put you antenna in your car?
Old 03-24-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a Town & Country minivan and the antenna is on the middle of the roof a couple of inches from the opening of the rear hatch and the cable goes through the opening at the top of the hatch. They did a real good job of installing everything and hiding all of the wires. The antenna so is hard to see, I had to bring my wife right up to it and point it out for her to see it. She has a big Terk glass-mount antenna on the rear of her Camry. I bought her an Alpine in-dash unit with xm radio about 15 months ago and the technology has improved a great deal over the past year. I believe my SkiFi is every bit as good as the one she has. She is a little bit envious of my setup with the smaller antenna and if we were to buy into xm radio today, we would get two SkiFi units - one for each of us.
Old 03-24-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check out this link to see if you can still get in on the Delphi deal. You will have to register on the xmfan site. That is how I got my SkiFi and it is well worth the effort.

Delphi deal
Old 03-24-03, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have xm radio and love it. I have the pioneer head unit and receiver though.
Old 03-24-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
also www.xmradio.com