Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is the Butthole Surfers song Dracula From Houston...

Old 03-12-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Is the Butthole Surfers song Dracula From Houston...

representative of their music, or any of their music? For some odd reason I love the song and want more like it, but would hate to buy their stuff if this was a departure for them.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-03, 11:09 AM

It's hard to say that any one song is representitive of the Surfers. Gibby Haynes pretty much makes the kind of music he wants, when he wants.

You're not going to find an entire album from them that sounds like Dracula From Houston, that's for sure. I'd think you'd be best off giving a listen to Electriclarryland or Independent Worm Saloon. The album with Dracula From Houston on it (Weird Revolution) would be a little harder to like for a new listener, at least IMO.
Old 03-14-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Independent Worm Saloon is my favorite Butthole Surfers album.
Old 03-14-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Butthole's have changed quite a bit over the years. They have become a lot more accessible to most music fans. I'm not as crazy about their newer stuff. My favorite album by them is Psychic Powerless.
Old 03-14-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I forgot to add "Dracula from Houston" is a great song. I look at the Butthole's this way. You have pre Independent Worm Saloon and you have Independent Worm Saloon and newer. It's almost like two different bands. The pre IWS is very experimental.
Old 03-15-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing I have to give them credit for is having two of the best album titles in recent memory:

"Hairyway to Steven"

and

"Rembrandt P_ssyhorse"
Old 03-15-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and I'm not familiar with the "Dracula" song in question, but the Buttholes cover a lot of musical territory - metal, funk, industrial, psychedelia.

Think somewhere between Pink Floyd and Ministry, seasoned with a little early Red Hot Chili Peppers. Could also make a case for Faith No More being a bit derivitive of them, too.
Old 03-17-03, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rembrandt P_ssyhorse is a true classic. Psychic Powerless is great, Locust Abortion Technician is great, Hairway to Steven is great...

Butt seriously, Rembrandt P_ssyhorse is the schitt. That and Butthole Surfers/Live Pcppep (the ancient Brown Reason to Live and Pcppep EPs, finally rereleased as a package deal in January) are mandatory.

The double live boot cd is cool too, but only for the initiated, I think.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 03-17-03 at 02:35 AM.