Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Shane MacGowan DVD on 4/22 [review request]

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Shane MacGowan DVD on 4/22 [review request]

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Shane MacGowan DVD on 4/11

Saw this over at DVDReview.com:

Music Video Distributors and Network Ireland have announced the upcoming release of If I Should Fall From Grace – The Shane MacGowan Story for worldwide distribution on DVD this spring.
This unflinching, music-driven documentary provides the first real insight into the background and career of this legendary Irish artist who, as lead singer and songwriter for the Pogues, became a worldwide punk icon. If I Should Fall >From Grace is a portrait of one of the most outrageous figures in the music world today. It demonstrates why, despite years of serious drug and alcohol abuse that have pushed the archetype of rock and roll excess to its outer limit, he is still widely regarded as one of the very finest songwriters of his entire generation.
Includes performances/videos of the songs: “Paddy Public Enemy No.1”, “If I Should Fall From Grace With God”, “Infatuation”, “Gabrielle”, “Waxie’s Dargle”, “Streams of Whiskey”, “Dirty Old Town”, “The Irish Rover”, “Fiesta”, “Rainy Night in Soho”, “Fairytale of New York”, “White City”, “Summer in Siam”, “Victoria”, “That Woman’s Got Me Drinking”, “Haunted” and “Lonesome Highway”. Bonuses include extra footage, and a Sing-A-Long option for the songs “The Irish Rover”, “That Woman’s Got Me Drinking” and “Waxie’s Dargle”.
With a suggested retail price of $19.95, the disc will be available on April 22nd.

Was this released abroad? If so, is it any good? I may have to check this out just so I can have a video document of his teeth.

Last edited by DJLinus; 03-06-03 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-06-03, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome! I'll be picking this up
Old 03-07-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Sounds awesome.

Big Pogues fan, here.
Old 03-07-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Whoops - the thread title should read 4/22. My bad.
Old 03-07-03, 12:13 PM

I have a copy of the cover art from a trade mag. WAY COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, at work=no scan.
Old 03-07-03, 12:18 PM

actually it may be at musicvideodistributors.com
Old 07-27-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i need to revive this thread, did anyone buy this DVD and can you tell me what you thought of it? are the songs he performs complete or just snippets? how is the quality?

shane was scheduled to play here in pittsburgh a couple years ago but unfortunately cancelled, after the opening act played and the popes were all there ready to play. they said he missed his plane in NY =o)
Old 07-27-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't seen the disc but remember hearing good things.

That said I can probably sum it up in four words:

Good music, bad teeth.
Old 07-27-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally posted by scarredgod
i need to revive this thread, did anyone buy this DVD and can you tell me what you thought of it? are the songs he performs complete or just snippets? how is the quality?
I bought and watched this DVD a couple of months ago. If you're a Shane fan, I'd say buy it. It was put together by public television of Ireland and the transfer and sound are very good. (16 x 9 and 5.1) You'll get to see Shane deteriorate throughout the years from his early band before the Pogues (just snippets of him performing) to his present state of affairs (trying to pick out a tune on a piano in a local pub.) There are interviews with his mother and father, wife, and some member of the Pogues along with Nick Cave and Paul Simonon. There is footage of the Pogues performing on TV along with some clips of music videos that the Pogues did. Not many complete songs since this is a documentary and not a music video DVD. Shane talks about the different CDs the Pogues made throughout their career and how the band split up. You get some background into his life as the documentarians follow him around his hometown and the places he used to frequent. Hey, you get to see him dance--on TV and in the local pubs! One thing I wished the DVD had included was a subtitle option since Shane's drunken Irish ramblings can be a bit difficult to decipher in some spots.

You can easily find this DVD for well under twenty bucks at many on-line DVD stores and it's certainly worth the price.
Old 07-28-03, 06:51 AM

It couldn't be stated better, Franchot.....especially down to the needed subtitle absense.
Old 07-28-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks Franchot, that helped me very much.