Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The Minus Five

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Minus Five

Did anybody pick up Minus Five's new Down with Wilco ? I don't really love it, but several of the songs are very catchy. I like the silly, whimsical feel of it, especially on "The Town that Lost its Groove Supply".

There's also consistently good musicianship the whole way through. It seems that there is enough ear candy to keep me intrigued for awhile.

Any other opinions? Too vanilla? Too not dark and non-brooding for ordinary Wilco fans?
Old 03-03-03, 07:53 AM

Eh, it's ok. At times I feel like I'm listening to a Ben Folds Five album, which (to me) is a bad bad thing. I would have preferred some additional input from Tweedy. It feels like a "family friendly" version of Summerteeth. Loose Fur blows this away.
Old 03-03-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mike1978
Eh, it's ok. At times I feel like I'm listening to a Ben Folds Five album, which (to me) is a bad bad thing. I would have preferred some additional input from Tweedy. It feels like a "family friendly" version of Summerteeth. Loose Fur blows this away.
Loose Fur is the best thing I've bought this year. I can't get enough of that cd.

I got the Ben Folds feeling about it, too, but I love Ben Folds so that's a good thing for me. Lots of people have made the Summerteeth comment about it, as well. I see your point about that.
Old 03-03-03, 09:07 AM

I bought it more for the Minus Five factor rather than the Wilco factor, and I must say that I am very pleased. It's the same brand of power pop that they've been doing for the past so many years now, and it's just a great set of songs.

Wilco does act well as a backing band, as they add a nice texture to the sound, but it really is a Minus Five album, not a Wilco album...so when I read reviews that compare the album to past Wilco albums instead of past Minus Five albums, it bothers me.

Every single person on this album is an excellent musician, so they all come together well, and I'm sure they must have had a hell of a fun time recording this. A very awesome album, indeed!
Old 03-05-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I've haven't heard it yet, but I did find some excellent songs on their last effort:

The Minus 5/The Young Fresh Fellows ---Let the War Against Music Begin/Because We Hate You

I also enjoyed the YFF.