DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The unpopular music opinion thread! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/273910-unpopular-music-opinion-thread.html)

Rypro 525 02-24-03 04:16 PM

The unpopular music opinion thread!

Following the very popular threads in movie talk and otter, I thought I would start one here.
*Nu metal is good metal
*Radio and clearchannel are not evil
*Norah Jones is overrated and did not deserve all of those grammys
*50 cent and the song "In da Club" copied a lyric from the J&SB movie outtakes (the part where Affleck goes "go holden, its your birthday", in their song its, "go shortyk, its your birthday"
Avril Lavgne can sing and looks attractive (what was with the tux last night?)

go at it.

KnightLerxst 02-24-03 04:18 PM

The Final Cut by Pink Floyd is a good album.

Gdrlv 02-24-03 04:34 PM

Re: The unpopular music opinion thread!

Originally posted by Rypro 525
*50 cent and the song "In da Club" copied a lyric from the J&SB movie outtakes (the part where Affleck goes "go holden, its your birthday", in their song its, "go shortyk, its your birthday"

Well, this is just flat out wrong. The line "Go (insert name here), it's your birthday" was not created by Kevin Smith, Ben Affleck or anyone else in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. That expression has been around for years. (Also, that line originally first reared its head in a Smith movie in Chasing Amy.)

Also, I agree Knight...the Final Cut is a good album. I never understood the hate directed at it.

Yancey 02-24-03 04:34 PM

umm... that phrase has been around much longer than kevin smith.

Rypro 525 02-24-03 04:38 PM

Sorry, I'm an idiot, but I still hate that song.

sherm42 02-24-03 04:52 PM

Nirvana was not a great band and Kurt Cobain was not a genius. They were in the right place at the right time because there were certainly other grunge bands just behind them that would have taken their place.

Part of the joke of Nirvana when they first hit was that you couldn't understand a frickin word they sang. Kurt kills himself and suddenly her is this deep introspective figure. If I see that stupid picture of him looking at the camera like he just cried for two hour I am going to puke.

I'll take Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream over Nevermind any day.

Josh-da-man 02-24-03 05:04 PM

Rap music sucks.
Current R&B sucks.
Country music sucks.

atlantamoi 02-24-03 05:22 PM

I also think The Final Cut is not bad (and I'm not a huge Floyd fan)

stevevt 02-24-03 05:24 PM

Originally posted by sherm42
Nirvana was not a great band and Kurt Cobain was not a genius. They were in the right place at the right time because there were certainly other grunge bands just behind them that would have taken their place.

Part of the joke of Nirvana when they first hit was that you couldn't understand a frickin word they sang. Kurt kills himself and suddenly her is this deep introspective figure. If I see that stupid picture of him looking at the camera like he just cried for two hour I am going to puke.

I'll take Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream over Nevermind any day.

I didn't know that Billy Corgan was registered here. :)

evenflow 02-24-03 05:31 PM

I'm an idiot
:hscratch: I thought this was the unpopular opinions thread?

;)

Blur is an awesome band and their albums are all great.

costanza187 02-24-03 06:34 PM

Rap sucks!

Nirvana, while a decent band, wasn't "all that"

fallow 02-24-03 08:03 PM

Missy Elliot's latest, "Work It" is a good song.

Same with Justin Timberlake's, "Cry Me a River"

And I still think this in spite of my friends - and my own - indie snobbish tendencies. My roommate has helped expand my appreciation of hip-hop and pop music immensely.

And just for Yancey, I still think it is weird that JT collaborated with The Flaming Lips. ;)

Goat3001 02-24-03 08:32 PM

Originally posted by fallow
Missy Elliot's latest, "Work It" is a good song.

Same with Justin Timberlake's, "Cry Me a River"

Disagree with Missy

Agree with Cry Me A River

Jason 02-24-03 08:46 PM

Independent music doesn't get a lot of exposure because most of it either isn't that good, or caters to a very esoteric audience.

milo bloom 02-24-03 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Jason
Independent music doesn't get a lot of exposure because most of it either isn't that good, or caters to a very esoteric audience.

I am curious that the internet didn't collapse into a superdense ball of protoplasmic matter the instant you made that statement; it goes against the grain of 90% of the music threads ever seen on any music discussion board.

And I agree of course.

And I also like that Missy Elliot song.

And Tori Amos makes me want to put my head thru a brick wall. Or hers.

stevevt 02-24-03 08:58 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
I am curious that the internet didn't collapse into a superdense ball of protoplasmic matter the instant you made that statement; it goes against the grain of 90% of the music threads ever seen on any music discussion board.

And I agree of course.

Most of everything is crap, so it's no shocker that most of independent music is crap. The advantage that independent music has over mainstream/major label music is that there's so much more of it.

Yes, some of it has limited appeal. This is a great thing, for the people it appeals to.

This isn't a great thread for an argument, of course, and I apologize.

palebluedot 02-24-03 09:15 PM

Originally posted by stevevt
Most of everything is crap, so it's no shocker that most of independent music is crap. The advantage that independent music has over mainstream/major label music is that there's so much more of it.

Yes, some of it has limited appeal. This is a great thing, for the people it appeals to.

This isn't a great thread for an argument, of course, and I apologize.

Ever since you turned me on to Songs Ohia I can't get enough of them...great music. Thanks!

Ralph Wiggum 02-24-03 09:40 PM

Does anyone really believe Kurt Cobain was a genius?

If so, wow. I'm a huge Nirvana fan, but they are highly overrated.

DMB bores me to tears.

The Stones don't have enough good songs to fill the second half of 40 Licks.

I don't care if performers write their own songs.

I like pop.

...except 02-24-03 09:57 PM

Skinny Puppy is the best art ever, I'm glad they re-united and will be putting out a new disc this year.

MJKTool 02-24-03 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
Does anyone really believe Kurt Cobain was a genius?

If so, wow. I'm a huge Nirvana fan, but they are highly overrated.

I dont know about genius, but I am truely thankfull that his band was able to rid this planet of that hairmetal garbage.

the aftermath 02-25-03 01:49 AM

Avril Lavgne can sing and looks attractive (what was with the tux last night?)

go at it.

rotfl

I almost thought this was a joke then I realized who was posting it.

Your entitled to your opinions but at least get your facts straight before posting.

As for me...

- Rap is <b>great</b>. If you think all rap is like Nelly then you're listening to the wrong stuff.
- Country music BLOWS. Worst music ever.
- Nu-Metal sucks horribly.

Tscott 02-25-03 02:04 AM

- Country is great. If you think all Country is like Garth Brooks then you're listening to the wrong stuff.
- Rap music BLOWS. Worst music ever.
- Nu-Metal sucks horribly.

:D
...oh, and the Spice Girls weren't too bad as far as pop acts go...

turborobb 02-25-03 03:40 AM

Nu metal is good metal
"Nu Metal" ISNT Metal at all.

stevevt 02-25-03 06:04 AM

Originally posted by palebluedot
Ever since you turned me on to Songs Ohia I can't get enough of them...great music. Thanks!
Excellent.

If you haven't already, make sure you order Magnolia Electric Company at Secretly Canadian. It comes with a bonus disc that a lot of people prefer to the album, and that I don't think you'll be able to find too many other places.

Speaking of S: O, do you have Mi Sei Apparso Come un Fantasma? Another one that's definitely worth tracking down, at least if you don't mind live albums.

And, by the way, what I quoted above definitely fits in with this thread, at least in my experience. :)

SAShepherd 02-25-03 09:50 AM

The Dixie Chicks are talented and the only problem with their cover of "Landslide" is its massive overexposure.

inVectiVe 02-25-03 11:10 AM

Eminem blows. I'm biased against rap to begin with, but at least some other rappers have interesting voices. This piece of white trash, in contrast, sounds every bit like the little pipsqueak he is: nasaly, whiny, wimpy. Why *anyone* would pay money to listen to that voice is beyond me. Oh wait - I guess it's because of his "intricate rhyming patterns." Like in "The Way I Am," where he rhymes "I Am" with......."I Am." Brilliant!

Rage Against the Machine are (were) criminally overrated. By-the-numbers songwriting. "I just started playing 2 weeks ago" drumming. A vocalist with a speech impediment. Oh-so-trendy politics ("Free Mumia!"). Zero musical progression from one album to the next (and wasn't it like 5 years between the first 2 albums?!) And a guitarist for whom the term "guitar wanking" must have been invented. I don't care if the stuff Morello does is difficult if it does not sound good. "But," you cry, "they, like, INVENTED rap-rock!" Excuse me, that's supposed to be a good thing? I could go on all day listing bands that eviscerate these guys musically, but I'll just list two that play metal of comparable speed/heaviness: Pantera and Machine Head (their debut album, at least).

Incubus manages to pull off the impossible: their music is incredibly smug and pretentious, yet totally bland and ordinary at the same time. Truly appalling vocalist. If I ever hear "Pardon Me" again I will NOT be held responsible for my actions.

I would rather have seen the return of hair metal than the rise of nu-metal. Even though we're supposed to laugh at them now, I think some good songs were produced by bands like Whitesnake ("Still of the Night," "Here I Go Again") and Skid Row ("18 & Life," "I Remember You," "Monkey Business").

I'm hardly an expert on them (having only heard one of like 8 albums in its entirety), but Cannibal Corpse can be fun to listen to. Their vocalist (the newer one) is *excellent* - if you like that sort of thing. Listen to "Pounded Into Dust" or "Pit of Zombies" or "Grotesque" and tell me this guy isn't as talented as Eminem.

Better stop there. That felt good! :)

KnightLerxst 02-25-03 12:06 PM

The Grateful Dead and Phish, aesthetically (if I spelled that right) they are terrible...just ****ing terrible...I can understand enjoying music with a good buzz on, but jesus, the only way you can enjoy that crap is with a good buzz on.

grunter 02-25-03 01:34 PM

Doesn't this whole thread just boil down to "your favorite band is suckekeke?"

:hscratch:

MJKTool 02-25-03 02:41 PM

Originally posted by grunter

:hscratch:

yep sure does. there seems to be alot of this going around in the music forum as of late.

benedict 02-25-03 03:07 PM

<small>

Doesn't this whole thread just boil down to "your favorite band is suckekeke?":hscratch:
</small>Essentially, yes.

And so long as it stays here and people don't seek to change the minds of others through personal attack etc perhaps that is not <i>such</i> a bad way to contain those wishing to bash or to joke rather than to criticise constructively.

Corleone 02-25-03 03:13 PM

I hate all music.

SAShepherd 02-25-03 03:21 PM

Not necessarily -- there are a number of comments along the lines of "[critically-or-publicly-maligned-artist] is not too bad; I enjoy their music." I don't want to ascribe any high-mindedness to the thread -- after all, it got its start in the Otter forum ;) -- but it does offer the opportunity to express an opinion without people jumping down your throat for that opinion.

Rypro 525 02-25-03 05:23 PM

Also, imo, Creed is not a Pearl Jam ripoff, they sound more like The Doors .(I don't really care what and who they sound like, I just enjoy their music.)

Goat3001 02-25-03 06:22 PM

Also, imo, Creed is not a Pearl Jam ripoff, they sound more like The Doors .(I don't really care what and who they sound like, I just enjoy their music.)
I never heard anyone say they were a Pearl Jam ripoff, and if you like them then thats fine too but.. maybe I listen to the wrong Creed songs but I don't think they sound like The Doors at all. Granted, Creeds lead singer sounds a lot like Jim Morrison but I don't think their music sounds like the Doors at all.

Ralph Wiggum 02-25-03 06:36 PM

I don't think Creed bears any resemblance to the doors.

Matt 02-25-03 07:13 PM

I wouldn't mind if Scott Stapp did a Jim Morrison tribute in a Paris bathtub.

Jepthah 02-25-03 07:15 PM

I'll kick this thread into overdrive (again):

U2
The Beatles
REM

Three of the most overrated bands in rock history.

And one more for safety:

Critics who categorically slam progressive rock are snot-nosed morons.

lostatmidnight 02-25-03 07:54 PM

ohh..REM? Come on...:) I have to admit UP and Reveal, have, er, I dunno, finding them sort of yes-----irrelevant.....But if your one of those who despises hairbands, they are actually one of the catalysts for helping getting us out of that rut in the early 1990's. Their place in music history is undeniable, but maybe you should go back and take a listen and put it in a cultural perspective, then its a little different...If not, cool.

U2? Yeah, I tend to agree. I love the experimental U2: Zoorpa, Achtung Baby and yes even POP. I believe sometimes they wish they could be like Pearl Jam: do their own thing, be left alone, screw the companies and experiment, but unfortunately they painted themselves into a corner, saw they didn't like it and now manufacture bland, boring rock/pop (re All that you can't leave behind---oh, I left it behind a week after picking up, tossing it the local used music shop). Also Bono needs to shut the hell up.

The Beatles? I dunno, I'm 25, parent's didn't like them too much, I don't like them, just a few songs.

Creed? Oh, there are a loathsome bunch...That **** about Stapp and his wife is wild though...

Some stuff to agrue or think about:

Afghan Whigs are the most underappreciated band of the last 15 years. I don't think anybody can compete musically, lyrically, hell, artistically at times. They had a pretentious side *cough* Dulli *cough* but they knew how to rock and get your ass shakin'...

Dandy Warhols: I'm the only person who loves these guys? C'mon, they are great...even when your not stoned...

I like Radiohead's last few albums (though I have my own mix of OK Computer), KID A, Anmesiac, but, c'mon, are we all that blinded? They are a tad overratted, but they still make complicated, beautiful music that I hope continues...It just a lot of 70's experimentalism and Pink Floyd, but it's still very good...Hopefully they don't given in to pressure to be more "mainstream."

Actually, I think the Verve is the best band over the last 15 years, even eclipsing Pearl Jam. Only three albums, but nobody can touch them...

The state of hip-hop/rap is loathsome...If its not the Roots, Outkast, Jurassic 5 or Badu, I don't bother. (I think she was stoned at the Grammy's from what I read about her tele-promter episode...:))

Also, I can't stop listening to that damn Interpol album...great...and still play Pete Yorn's last one.

gilbertr76 02-26-03 01:02 AM

Originally posted by ...except
Skinny Puppy is the best art ever, I'm glad they re-united and will be putting out a new disc this year.
Word!

dek 02-26-03 01:55 AM

Tupac is extremely overrated.

Most of this new school rap that everyone on here seems to jock is extremely overrated.