DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Cold play at the Grammys (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/273845-cold-play-grammys.html)

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 12:18 PM

Cold play at the Grammys

I think their performance was HORRIBLE!

Are these guys kidding me? That was just terrible! Do these guys actually sell CDS??

Did someone sit at rehersals and actually say "This is great!"
I mean christ..people make fun of me for liking Poison and Motley crue ...but atleast their music is listenable and isnt just noise..

Capo2002 02-24-03 12:28 PM

I missed their performance at the Grammys, but then again, I never watch the Grammys because they are usually so out of touch with the real talent in the music industry it is kind of sad. I do think Coldplay are very overrated though, they are a decent band, but nothing great.

Rogue588 02-24-03 12:56 PM

I was disappointed by it [especially since they had an orchestra backing them]...

As for last night's Grammys, it wasn't nearly as bad as it's been in the past. Perhaps due to Greene not being in charge anymore..?

Jeraden 02-24-03 01:20 PM

I love Coldplay. I thought the overall music of it was great, it has a nice energetic chorus and the orchestra helped during the quieter parts. The actual lyrics are a bit repetitive though and probably detracted from the rest of the performance a bit.

Penny Lane 02-24-03 01:25 PM

I like them okay, but I have to admit, Chris what's his face freaked out at the piano. THAT was funny! The guy was playing mere chords, and he was losing it. ha. :lol:

conscience 02-24-03 01:30 PM

They are probably one of the only ones on the Grammys who actually put out Good music this past year.

And I loved the performance. It seemed like it came from the heart and he was showing a lot of emotion.

Excuse me for disliking Poison and Motley Crue.

If you would rather see a performance of long haired men in skin tight leather then have at it...I'll stick to the real music that shows emotion.

Rogue588 02-24-03 01:32 PM

EASY! guys..

It IS possible to like both ya know..

Don't make me layeth the smackdown on ya'll after I get done with Penny..:D

Obey The D 02-24-03 01:37 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
EASY! guys..

It IS possible to like both ya know..

Not on this forum :)

atlantamoi 02-24-03 02:05 PM

Like both? Not this boy. There truly is no form of music I detest more than hair bands. Nada.

Liked the Coldplay song. He was sort of freaking out... I was just thinking maybe it's because he's not normally in that type of situation.

Rogue588 02-24-03 02:24 PM

Jeez...this is almost as bad as an Otter politial thread...:lol:

dulli 02-24-03 02:27 PM

what song did they do?

sebastianv50 02-24-03 04:05 PM

They performed Politik and it was awesome.

Matt 02-24-03 04:36 PM

Weren't as energetic as when I saw them in OKC three weeks ago, but Coldplay on a bad night is still better than most of the rest of the crap they had on last night, on a good night. (Still can't figure out if the highlight was Coldplay, or Avril getting shut out). :)

Chris Martin on the piano is quite a sight, to be sure. . .

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 05:05 PM

Originally posted by conscience
They are probably one of the only ones on the Grammys who actually put out Good music this past year.

And I loved the performance. It seemed like it came from the heart and he was showing a lot of emotion.

Excuse me for disliking Poison and Motley Crue.

If you would rather see a performance of long haired men in skin tight leather then have at it...I'll stick to the real music that shows emotion.

Last night was not emotion..it was someone making NOISE, plain and simple.
The first thing my parents said to me this morning was asking me who that awful guy at the piano was.
The music was noise and his signing or whatever he was doing was noise.

Tommy Lee has more talent in his pinky that that guy from Coldplay..

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 05:07 PM

If last night was a demonstration of Coldplays music, than thats not music..

Id rather listen to guys with big hair in tight pants singing songs you can understand, has some structure and you can sing along too....

Matt 02-24-03 05:10 PM

I'm glad someone who enjoys Motley Crue and Warrant doesn't like Coldplay.

atlantamoi 02-24-03 05:17 PM

KevinSmithisGod, so your parents like Motley Crue?

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Virex
I'm glad someone who enjoys Motley Crue and Warrant doesn't like Coldplay.

I listen to a crap load of othe things besides Crue and Warrant..
Im very open minded when it comes to MUSIC..
but last nights performance was an embarrasment..it wasnt music, plain and simple.
There was nothing artisitic, inspiring or thought provoking about it.
It was some guy just pounding on a piano while screaming..

Why dont they let a band like Dream Theater perform with an orchestra at the Grammys...now THAT would be something to see...
Not some talentless band like Coldplay..
HELL, Corey Feldman with an orchestra would have been better

Im glad someone who likes Coldplay doesnt like hair bands..

Rypro 525 02-24-03 05:30 PM

Don't worry, my mom and brother both hate coldplay, my brother thinks their music is dull (when he listens to collective soul, and Dunckin Sheik), and my mom thinks the music is very wierd.

Matt 02-24-03 05:59 PM

Originally posted by KevinSmithIsGod
Im glad someone who likes Coldplay doesnt like hair bands..
Amen to that.

I decided to give up my Jani Lane posters and AquaNet back in '91.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Don't worry, my mom and brother both hate coldplay, my brother thinks their music is dull (when he listens to collective soul, and Dunckin Sheik), and my mom thinks the music is very wierd.
Duncan sheik I only know that one song from years back ...
Collective Soul I like alot..

The talk today at work was mainly all Coldplay and how bad they were and Norah Jones...

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Virex
Amen to that.

I decided to give up my Jani Lane posters and AquaNet back in '91.

Its ashame..Jani Lane just put out a great solo album of very modern sounding, upbeat, fun rock tunes..
Very much in the vein of LIT and bands of that nature..

ColdBlue 02-24-03 06:04 PM

Can a thread begin as a threadcrap??

This thread certainly aims to answer that age old question.

;)

atlantamoi 02-24-03 06:18 PM

This thread is great. Gettin' a good chuckle.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 06:34 PM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
This thread is great. Gettin' a good chuckle.

But whats funner, this thread or Coldplays performance?

Matt 02-24-03 06:41 PM

But whats funner, this thread or Coldplays performance?
Zing!

eXcentris 02-24-03 06:44 PM

I know someone named KevinSmithIsCrap who likes Coldplay. :)

RevLiver 02-24-03 06:48 PM

Coldplay and the tribute to Joe Strummer were the two best performances last night. Looked to me like Chris was channeling Thom Yorke, with the facial expressions.

conscience 02-24-03 07:14 PM

There was nothing artisitic, inspiring or thought provoking about it.
It was some guy just pounding on a piano while screaming..

:eek: Oh my god. Then we better get rid of artists like Billy Joel, Elton John, Ray Charles, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis too, I guess?

Thankfully Nirvana (and other alternative bands in the late 80s early 90s) came and kicked the hair bands out on their leathered asses.

J-Dubya 02-24-03 07:21 PM

give me one because one is best

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 07:50 PM

:eek: Oh my god. Then we better get rid of artists like Billy Joel, Elton John, Ray Charles, Little Richard, and Jerry Lee Lewis too, I guess?

Thankfully Nirvana (and other alternative bands in the late 80s early 90s) came and kicked the hair bands out on their leathered asses.

First of all, dont you EVER compare Coldplay to those artists you mentioned above..thats just blasphemy. Those artists were/are amazing and wrote great songs...they brought something to music....coldplay hasnt brought a thing..
Comparing them to coldplay is like comparing Eddie Van Halen to Billy Corgan just because they both play guitar..

2nd..where are all these "alternative" bands now?

conscience 02-24-03 07:59 PM

First of all, dont you EVER compare Coldplay to those artists you mentioned above..thats just blasphemy. Those artists were/are amazing and wrote great songs...they brought something to music....coldplay hasnt brought a thing..
Comparing them to coldplay is like comparing Eddie Van Halen to Billy Corgan just because they both play guitar..

I don't seem to recall comparing their musical talents. They all are completely different from one another. That is why I quoted your "pounding on a piano while screaming".

All you seem to be arguing is the pounding on the piano.

A pitiful agruement it is, btw.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:04 PM

I don't seem to recall comparing their musical talents. They all are completely different from one another. That is why I quoted your "pounding on a piano while screaming".

All you seem to be arguing is the pounding on the piano.

A pitiful agruement it is, btw.

So then what does your point have to do with ANYTHING?
They didnt pound crap out of their piano and make noise...they all play it beautifully ..I never heard any of them scream or whatever he did ...

Im arguing that the guy has no talent..that wasnt music.

So Im listening to "Coldplay radio" right now..just to see if maybe Im wrong...well, so far Im not..I just got done listening to some 7 minute dance song that kept repeating something about a robot..terrible..

conscience 02-24-03 08:06 PM

2nd..where are all these "alternative" bands now?

Having their records in my collection.

two words: pearl jam

And that is a hellofa lot better than being a laughing stock to the music industry.

Hmmmm....alternative, modern rock, . You get the idea. And I know the idea. Hair bands are over with. Get with the times.

The hair band era was just a break in concentration from artists like The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Lou Reed and his Velvet Underground cronies to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, early Red Hot Chili Peppers, and yes, The Smashing Pumpkins among others.

<i>I guess I should answer you actual question...so I edited.</i>

conscience 02-24-03 08:07 PM

So then what does your point have to do with ANYTHING?
They didnt pound crap out of their piano and make noise...they all play it beautifully ..I never heard any of them scream or whatever he did ...

Im arguing that the guy has no talent..that wasnt music.

So Im listening to "Coldplay radio" right now..just to see if maybe Im wrong...well, so far Im not..I just got done listening to some 7 minute dance song that kept repeating something about a robot..terrible..

Please. Go grab your spare hairspray and pop in a Poison cassette.

Matt 02-24-03 08:10 PM

Hair bands are over with. Get with the times.
Hey, man, them's fightin' words! Winger's "Seventeen" is music for the ages. No English ponce banging on a piano in that one, man.

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:10 PM

All I have to say are two more words:

Pearl Jam.

Hmmmm....alternative, modern rock, . You get the idea. And I know the idea. Hair bands are over with. Get with the times.

The hair band era was just a break in concentration from artists like The Beatles, The Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who, Lou Reed and his Velvet Underground cronies to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, early Red Hot Chili Peppers, and yes, The Smashing Pumpkins among others.

Pearl Jam? Again, WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
They are noones..they are in the same place as many hairbands and didnt last nearly as long as most of the hairbands.

Get with the times? Hard to say when you mention The beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd,Who and Lou Reed...all of whom I like(except for Floyd)..but their haydays are over with...

KevinSmithIsGod 02-24-03 08:13 PM

Please. Go grab your spare hairspray and pop in a Poison cassette.
You have a party or go to a bar and put on "Talk dirty to me" and see the everyone sing along and have a good time...

Put on some old "alternative" band and see everyone stand around lookin at each other...

I use to work for an all 80s radio show and the show had HUGE ratings...it still does..in fact its syndicated on over 50 stations across the U.S.....I dont see any all "alternative" radio shows..

conscience 02-24-03 08:14 PM

The Times = Respecting great music while delving into what today has to offer.

The hair bands, are not great music. Nowhere near that.

conscience 02-24-03 08:15 PM

This isn't about ratings on a two-bit 80s radio station. This is about great music.

Coldplay or Motley Crue?

Hmmmmmmm.