Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Best place to find a used turntable?

Old 02-22-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Best place to find a used turntable?

My roommate recently bought a bunch of records from the school library for $.50 (total) and does not have any way to play them. I already have an old receiver in our room, so all we need now is a turntable that can play records. Does anyone know of any places that sell used or cheap record players?
Old 02-22-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Try Goodwill.
Old 02-22-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Relatives' basements. Thats where I got the Pioneer I'm using now.
Old 02-24-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was looking for used DVDs today at a pawnshop, and I noticed they had several Gemini brand turntables for $200-300 each or more. Is this a good brand? I really don't want to spend near that much on one, just something basic to spin some vinyl.
Old 02-24-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are you just using it to play Vinyl or do you actually want to do some scratching?

To just play, you can find one cheap on EBAY. For DJ/Scratching...Gemini is something basic. All depends what you are looking for.
Old 02-24-03, 12:12 PM

I bought a Sony fully automatic turntable off eBay that plugs into my receiver with the standard RCA jacks for under $100. Might want to try there.
Old 02-24-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DJ_Longfellow
Are you just using it to play Vinyl or do you actually want to do some scratching?

To just play, you can find one cheap on EBAY. For DJ/Scratching...Gemini is something basic. All depends what you are looking for.
Just to play. And I mean really cheap as it's not really a priority, just a side project.

tks
Old 02-25-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would try Ebay or some other form of used equipment (thrift store/pawn shop) I would not pay more than $100 for sure for one. The Gemini one you were looking at is a DJ table, so you would not need that. I still think Best Buy and places like that may still carry Record Players also if you want new