Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you more or less likely to be near exits at the next concert you go to?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering we've had two tragedies in the last 5 days at clubs, I think this brings up an important subject. I know I'm notorious for trying to be in the midst of the crowd. I've wondered many times how quickly I would get out if there was a fire or quick exit for the door, but I usually think the chances are really remote (and they truely are, I think we've had two freak accidents)

Are you more or less likely to be near an exit at the next concert you go to, or will you just do what you've normally done?

I think I'm going to do what I've normally done, but I'll be aware of the exits and where they are.
Old 02-21-03, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will continue to do the same as I have always done. Be in the thick of the crowd and get my moneys worth.
Old 02-22-03, 01:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier and the venue I frequent the most: the 9:30 Club, seems like a death trap to me.
Old 02-22-03, 01:14 AM

Yeah a lot of the smaller clubs in NJ would be a nightmare to get out of in an emergency. Especially the Birch Hill, which if you are on the floor only have two tiny narrow staircases to which you have to go up a flight of stairs to exit the club.
Old 02-22-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
NO, i'm goin' to SUMMER SANATARIUM 2003 w/ METALLICA and not worried a bit... no reason to go to CLUB concerts.
Old 02-22-03, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I rarely do "CLUB SHOWS".

Actually, I'm less likely to panic and follow the crowd.

That crowd's 1st mistake(Going to a Great White show aside) was going into PANIC.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-22-03 at 03:57 AM.
Old 02-22-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally posted by gerrythedon
NO, i'm goin' to SUMMER SANATARIUM 2003 w/ METALLICA and not worried a bit... no reason to go to CLUB concerts.
I feel the exact opposite. The largest venue I'd ever consider going to is a theater, but I greatly prefer the intimacy of seeing a band in a small-to-medium sized club. Every arena/amphitheater show I've ever been to has disappointed me.
Old 02-23-03, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by ctyner
I feel the exact opposite. The largest venue I'd ever consider going to is a theater, but I greatly prefer the intimacy of seeing a band in a small-to-medium sized club. Every arena/amphitheater show I've ever been to has disappointed me.
I agree 100%. I will be going to see Metallica this summer, but given a choice clubs and theater's are WAY better to see a show at. I too tend to not be as excited at an arena show.
Old 02-23-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Giles
I was thinking about this earlier and the venue I frequent the most: the 9:30 Club, seems like a death trap to me.
9:30 Club in DC, or are you talking about another one? If it's the same one, then I completely agree.

I always try to get up as close as possible. Currrent events won't keep me from getting all money's worth...that may be bad or not.
Old 02-23-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dacoops3
I agree 100%. I will be going to see Metallica this summer, but given a choice clubs and theater's are WAY better to see a show at. I too tend to not be as excited at an arena show.
I'll agree, and agree, give me the small venue anytime. I have been to many, many shows and the majority of the best ones have been in smaller venues. Of course a Floyd show is great in a large venue but that is unique.

As far as exits, I have always checked them out and try to be near them as well. There have been a few times were I really started to get that uneasy feeling when the crowd was getting way out of control. It really is something everyone should have been doing all along.

Last edited by Flashback; 02-23-03 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-23-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Those idiots from Great White should be prosecuted for murder!!

We've all seen that tape (and there always seems to be one in these cases) NO WAY should they have use pyrotechnics in that club which was basically a large shack with no sprinklers an low ceiling!!
Old 02-23-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually, I haven't seen the video, does anyone have a link?

I know the story and so on, but haven't seen the footage.
Old 02-23-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fallow
Actually, I haven't seen the video, does anyone have a link?

I know the story and so on, but haven't seen the footage.
Go to cnn.com they've played a gazillion times since thursday
Old 02-23-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll still be doing the same as I have in the past for all shows, arena, amphitheater, or club - and that's go and have a good time. Same with sporting events. People didn't stop going to soccer games because of stampedes...
Old 02-23-03, 11:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by fallow
9:30 Club in DC, or are you talking about another one? If it's the same one, then I completely agree.

I always try to get up as close as possible. Currrent events won't keep me from getting all money's worth...that may be bad or not.
yeah, the DC Club. There's only really one known entrance/exit and it's always cramped even when exiting from a regular concert. I know there is an exit from the downstairs bar and another from the right hand side of the stage other than that, it's very nerve wracking to think if pandemonium ever happened and one was forced to flee in a hurry, how this would be done....