Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Clear Channel/Ticketmaster "Getaccess" program?

Old 02-18-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clear Channel/Ticketmaster "Getaccess" program?

Just got an email from Clear Channel/Ticketbastard regarding their "Getaccess" program:

Join getAccess and get a chance to buy up to four presale tickets to see James Taylor at the Post-Gazette Pavilion on July 25!

[snipped blah blah blah about james frickin taylor]

Plus, as a member of getAccess, you'll enjoy a full year of great deals on live entertainment presales, discounts and more all for an annual fee of only $60. So join getAccess today and be ready to buy James Taylor tickets when the presale starts at 10:00 AM EST on Friday, February 21.

Offer: You have the chance to buy tickets before the public on-sale. Ticket prices are between $22 and $45.
The presale is from 10 to 5 for one day.

Has anybody signed up for this? Is it actually worth anything? With the very limited number of shows I'm interested in attending, I don't see myself signing up for it, but if it does actually get you good tickets, I'd just as soon get them this way than deal with a scalper (at least these will definitely not be counterfit). The last regualr internet presale I participated in was a complete sham. Logged on at 9:59 and some seconds, got 2 tickets halfway back in the upper section

I figure this is probably just a way to offer discount tickets for crappy shows, but I'm curious to know if they're actually interested in offering better service (even if you have to pay for it).
Old 02-19-03, 08:26 PM

Are you doing the presale for James Taylor or another artist. I got the email too and I thought $60 is high, but... if you are going to use it for a number of shows it might be worth it.
Old 02-19-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not interested in JT, but would pay the extra to get good tickets for somebody I liked.

I don't go to a lot of shows, but if the program offers real perks I would probably go to more.
Old 02-20-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To me - this is just more evidence of Ticketmaster holding the ticketing industry hostage.

You shouldn't have to pay for a "chance" to get good seats at an upcoming concert. (Like the recent Stones concert ticket "club" fiasco).

It's like buying a $60 lottery ticket.

If this grows to be a trend, I see live music (and the music industry in general) just taking even more of a severe beating - cashwise.
Old 02-20-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
You shouldn't have to pay for a "chance" to get good seats at an upcoming concert. (Like the recent Stones concert ticket "club" fiasco).
True, but logging into the pre-sale at the earliest possible moment sould net you tickets somewhere closer than 75% back from the stage.
Old 02-20-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brokers (Scalpers) will sign up as well and lock you out just like anything else. You might get lucky and score good tickets, can happen now, but you will never win this fight and just donate money to a bad company.
Old 02-20-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flashback
Brokers (Scalpers) will sign up as well and lock you out just like anything else. You might get lucky and score good tickets, can happen now, but you will never win this fight and just donate money to a bad company.
Yep. Just another reason I go to very few shows.
Old 02-21-03, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jason
Yep. Just another reason I go to very few shows.
Jason, I have good luck...check the show for tickets from the night before up to showtime. Many great seats are released in the end. This is due to the stage configuration allowing more seats, radio/promotor/band not using all of their comp tickets and putting them up for sale to get some more money. This is more common for arena shows and the seats are usually a couple of rows in the first section by the stage. I do this all the time and usually get what I want since I hate being on the floor.