Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Tears for Fears reunion (news/interview)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 02-13-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Sorry if this has been posted before (I didn't see it if it has). Just discovered this current Roland Orzabal 15 minute audio interview. In it, he discusses why it's taken over two years for the new Tear for Fears album (which reunites him with Curt Smith after more than 10 years). The name of the new album ("Everybody Loves a Happy Ending"). His opinion on the current music scene. His thoughts on his music being used in "Donnie Darko" (he loved it). And says that the new album will be "worth the wait". Give it a listen. Good interview!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/going...dorzabal.shtml
Old 02-13-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now that's pretty damned charitable of Roland, don't you think?

Or is he just cashing in on the "reunion" tour aspect of the whole thing?
Old 02-13-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by grunter
Now that's pretty damned charitable of Roland, don't you think?

Or is he just cashing in on the "reunion" tour aspect of the whole thing?
Did you listen to the interview? Because in it, he was asked why they didn't do any of those 80's reunion tours like so many other bands have done (or have been asked). He said they had no interest in doing that. If he were trying to cash in, that would have been the way. BTW, there has been no talk about a tour for this new album. I'm sure there will be on some scale. No, I think this was a natural "no agenda" reunion. Especially given how it all came about. Nice story! I for one will be in line the day the album comes out.
Old 02-13-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Songs From the Big Chair is one of my all time favourite albums...with Seeds Of Love being a VERY close second. I'll definitely be checking this out when it drops.

Now...can I comment on how MUCH I hate real player??
Old 02-14-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those of you that don't already have it, I highly recommend Orzabal's solo album "Tomcats Screaming Outside". Some amazing stuff on there. One of the best CD's I've purchased in the past couple of years. You can find it used all over the place.
Old 02-14-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I recently d/l "Seeds of Love" from Kazaa and am just struck by how brilliant that song is matched against how unbrilliant the rest of their work is.
Old 02-16-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
I highly second the recommendation for "Tomcats Screaming Outside"...that is on regular rotation in my collection. I love everything on it; to me, it sounds like a throwback to 80's sounds yet it still sounds fresh and new to me. I love it! This is the first I've heard that there would definitely be a new Tears for Fears album and I can't wait for it

Michael
Old 02-18-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jack Straw
I recently d/l "Seeds of Love" from Kazaa and am just struck by how brilliant that song is matched against how unbrilliant the rest of their work is.
"Everybody Wants To Rule The World", "Mad World", "Shout" "Woman in Chains" (to name a few), unbrilliant? The first song I mentioned alone is one of the best songs from the 80's.
Old 02-18-03, 03:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Cool. After reading this, I literally "let it all out."
Old 02-18-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: Tears for Fears reunion (news/interview)

Originally posted by Daytripper
His opinion on..... His thoughts on....
These are the things I can do without. Come on, I'm talking to you.
Old 02-19-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Cool. After reading this, I literally "let it all out."
[MOVING TO MATURE FORUM]
Old 07-21-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
According to an 80s newsletter I get, the date for the new album is October 14th.

I'll be there.
Old 07-21-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Roland Orzabal who lives just outside Wiltshire near Bath, recently agreed to an audio interview with BBC Wiltshire which took place on Tuesday 4th February 2003.
Wow, that sure was posted quickly!
Old 07-22-03, 12:47 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts
Woman in chains is a great song, Oleta Adams sure can sing
Old 07-22-03, 03:32 PM
Banned

I recommend purchasing (not downloading, give Roland his $) his other 2 solo albums ELEMENTAL and ROUL AND THE KINGS OF SPAIN. Both great albums.
Old 07-22-03, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

does he have his own site where you can give him the $$$ directly?
Old 07-22-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i know this is off-topic but, whats the name of thier song that was big in the 90's.... can't remember it but i know i liked it
Old 07-22-03, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by kicker_of_elves
i know this is off-topic but, whats the name of thier song that was big in the 90's.... can't remember it but i know i liked it
I don't think they had a song that was big in the 90's. Anyway, you could be thinking of:

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" (Dennis Miller used it for his talk show) or
"Shout" or
"Sowing the Seeds of Love"
Old 07-22-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember seeing the video on MTV alot in/or around early 92-93(sorry if it wasnt as big as i thought it was lol).. the song is "break it down again".. i always remembered they had a song that was good that came out in the early 90's but i couldnt remember what the name was. finally found it after searching round some sites...
Old 07-23-03, 03:50 PM
Banned

I remember seeing the video on MTV alot in/or around early 92-93(sorry if it wasnt as big as i thought it was lol).. the song is "break it down again".. i always remembered they had a song that was good that came out in the early 90's but i couldnt remember what the name was. finally found it after searching round some sites...
that's from Roland's first solo album ELEMENTAL, a great album.

His followup Raoul and the Kings of Spain is even better! Tomcats is a step backward IMO.
Old 07-24-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Scot1458
that's from Roland's first solo album ELEMENTAL, a great album.

His followup Raoul and the Kings of Spain is even better! Tomcats is a step backward IMO.

Roland's first solo album without Curt Smith. It was still under the Tears for Fears banner. Only "Tomcats" was a Roland "solo" album. Which I thought was great. I'm sooooooooo looking forward to the new TFF. And a new Duran Duran album too this year (with all the original members). Never actually loved them, but I think it's kind of cool that so many 80's bands are back together.
Old 10-07-03, 01:01 AM

Tears For Fears -- Orzabal, Smith Reunite

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...music_tears_dc

Mon Oct 6, 5:29 PM ET

By Troy Carpenter

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Tears For Fears principals Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith (news) have reunited and inked a deal with Arista Records, which will release the duo's first album together since 1989 early next year.

The pair performed together for the first time in over a decade Saturday at Andre Agassi's "Grand Slam for Children" benefit in Las Vegas.

Tears For Fears came to prominence in the mid-1980s while signed to Mercury Records. The band's breakthrough album, "Songs From the Big Chair," spent five weeks at No. 1 on The Billboard 200 and was certified five times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) (RIAA) for U.S. shipments of 5 million copies. That album featured the back-to-back No. 1 hits "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" and "Shout," as well as the No. 3 "Head Over Heels."

Smith left Tears For Fears in 1991 to pursue solo projects, while Orzabal released two more albums under the group name on Epic Records -- 1993's "Elemental" and 1995's "Raoul and the Kings of Spain." Both musicians released solo albums in recent years: Smith's "Mayfield" (Zero Disc) in 1998 and Orzabal's "Tomcats Screaming Outside" (Eagle Records) in 2001.

A greatest-hits album celebrating the band's Mercury years, "Tears Roll Down: Greatest Hits 1982-1992" (Fontana), peaked at No. 53 on The Billboard 200 in 1992, and has been certified triple-platinum by the RIAA.

Reuters/Billboard

Well this should be interesting. After seeing many of the top bands from the 80's play the KROQ Inland Invasion last month and most of them doing quite well, hopefully TFF can recapture the magic they had in the early/mid 80's.

Chris
Old 10-07-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

welcome to 8 months ago..

[though, you did let us know the suckworthy news about the album..]
Old 10-07-03, 08:45 AM

Ooops, I'm usually good about keeping up to date on much of the news. I will ask the mods to merge the 2 threads.

Chris
Old 10-07-03, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was it called "Break It Down Again" ???

I remember that came out in the early-mid 90's!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.