Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

50 Cent....Damn Homie....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-03, 01:24 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 50 Cent sold a few records in 5 days.

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/d...ent_id=1816201

That number is STAGGERING, especially for someones "debut" album. If he had had another 2 days, he was on pace to sell 1.25 (using best Dr. Evil voice) million albums. Aftermath now has 3 of the top 5 best selling hip hop albums (first week sales) ever.
Old 02-13-03, 01:46 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
RIAA Drone "But Bootlegging kills our sales"
Old 02-13-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just like the saying "sticks and stones will break my bones...." is total crap, so is the saying "crime doesn't pay".
Old 02-13-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is 50 cents second album,he had one before his new one that didnt sell at all,kinda like Ems first one infinite.
Old 02-13-03, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Jesus, where the hell did this guy, and all the hype surounding him, come from??
Old 02-13-03, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wonder how many copies he would have sold if everybody had it in stock. . .
Old 02-13-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MJKTool
Jesus, where the hell did this guy, and all the hype surounding him, come from??
Eminem
Old 02-13-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

just about everyone I know(excluding me) has bought a copy this week
Old 02-13-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What songs are his? The only thing I know is that 50 cent is on the 8 mile soundtrack but I couldn't even tell you what that song sounds like. Is the album any good?
Old 02-13-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think anyone has heard to much of him beside Wanksta and In Da Club. I think the cd is pretty good. There is about 5 songs I really like excluding the 4 bonuses.

Check out, Patiently Waiting, Many Men, Heat & If I Can't.
Old 02-13-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If this is the best that 'superstar' rap music can come up with these days... zzzzzzzz...... someone care to explain why he sells millions while someone like Talib Kweli or Blackalicious toil in near-obscurity?

This guy's flow is B-O-R-I-N-G, the production on his songs are nothing special or downright annoying, and his "lyrics" are standard so-called 'thug/gangsta' crap.
Old 02-13-03, 09:27 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Jepthah
If this is the best that 'superstar' rap music can come up with these days... zzzzzzzz...... someone care to explain why he sells millions while someone like Talib Kweli or Blackalicious toil in near-obscurity?

This guy's flow is B-O-R-I-N-G, the production on his songs are nothing special or downright annoying, and his "lyrics" are standard so-called 'thug/gangsta' crap.
I love Kweli, but to be honest about it, Kwelis' music isnt the kind that makes you want to dance, it makes you think, and not alot of "rap" fans want to think. 50 is down with the biggest MC in the game right now, and Dr. Dre, and he has a huge NY following already, it was gonna happen regardless. 50 isnt a bad MC, he isnt great, but there are alot (coughjarule) that are worse than he is that sell. And his album isnt half bad, he at least got some really good beats for it.
Old 02-13-03, 09:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jepthah

His 'thug' lyrics are real though, which makes him similar to Tupac and people like that. He isn't a fake like Jayz, JaRule, or Pdiddly. The Dre tracks are HOT, even the eminem ones are very good. Patiently Waiting, If I can't, and 21 questions are my favorites.
Old 02-14-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is NOT a thread crap because there is viable rap that's honest and tough, but not gloating over violence. This is something I have been thoroughly confused about ever since Tupac. I don't get Eminem, I don't get 50 Cent. I just don't understand why boasting about crime is so popular. Go ahead, boast about sex, boast about being rich, but celebrating being shot 9 times? What the ____? I'm sure part of my reaction is just being a little older and white as milk, but that doesn't mean I don't like rap music. I would just rather hear something more like De La Soul.

Early rap was about social ills. It still is in large part. But isn't there a line that gets crossed from singing about your problems to celebrating thug life? I don't lose sleep over this, but I find it kind of sad. Rock/Rap will always be rebellious to a point, but at what point is it just ridiculous?

Of course, 50 Cent is just the latest though. The more current "offensive" music will seem more dangerous. 10-years from now 50 Cent's music won't even turn any heads (in respect to being outrageous). Maybe it would be easy to just shrug it off like it's a big cartoon. But it wasn't a cartoon life that lead to reality for Tupac.

Again, not slagging anyone off for listening to this music. Obviously there are many people in this country who bought the disc. Not sure I understand why though.
Old 02-14-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I admit it, I "checked out" this album before I dropped the money to buy it.

I promptly deleted it.

Not my style at all.

If he wouldn't have had Eminem and Dre's backing, and I'm sure Dre really really really helped produce "In Da Club", then he wouldn't be seling anything. "In Da Club" is getting played 2 times everytime I go out on Friday nights. It's just THAT popular right now. I actually really like that song, probably b/c it was beaten into my head.

Personally, I prefer listening to more of the "thinking man 's rap" if you will. I was never a big fan of this style, he seems very very much like a 2Pac wannabe(yes I'm aware of his background).

I dunno, the CD is ok, but not something I'd want to buy.
Old 02-14-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

in da club is a phat beat
Old 02-14-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the reason he is selling a TON of records and everybody here thinks he came from nowhere is because he was a HUGE underground hit. in fact not to long ago a DJ put out a best of cd of his underground songs. just like how eminem was huge underground, winning rap olympics and what not, and then when he caught mainstream everyone was like "who is this guy, where did he come from?" so please dont associate dre and eminems producing credits with the success of his album. ya it definately helped, but you have to understand he had a huge following for a long long time. (just like xzibit)
Old 02-15-03, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i think his flow kinda sucks tho,it sounds like hes mumblin alot
Old 02-15-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by rocketsauce
the reason he is selling a TON of records and everybody here thinks he came from nowhere is because he was a HUGE underground hit. in fact not to long ago a DJ put out a best of cd of his underground songs. just like how eminem was huge underground, winning rap olympics and what not, and then when he caught mainstream everyone was like "who is this guy, where did he come from?" so please dont associate dre and eminems producing credits with the success of his album. ya it definately helped, but you have to understand he had a huge following for a long long time. (just like xzibit)
Yes, I realize that. He had another album called "Power of the dollar". Despite his underground buzz though, there's no way he would have sold as many units as he did without the association of Em and Dre.
Old 02-15-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's yo birthday
It's yo birthday
It's yo birthday

I do like In The Club. The beats are nice.

The other songs? Ehh...
Old 02-16-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

In Da Club is pretty good.. the album has some ok tracks, but I think the best thing on the album is eminem's verson on Patiently Waiting... he totally owns that song... you know, 50's not bad, but it's too bad that Em upstages him so much on his own album...

MATT
Old 02-16-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I listened to it again, just to see what I thought again.

Sort of grew on me.

Not my favorite album, but it's not too bad after all.