Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Lollapalooza is back!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Lollapalooza is back!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lollapalooza is back!

LOLLAPALOOZA IS BACK
It took five years, but Lollapalooza is ready to reclaim the (unofficial) title of “King of the Alt-Rock Festivals.” Organizers have announced that the tour will return this summer with a lineup anchored by Incubus, Audioslave, Queens of the Stone Age, Jurassic 5 and festival founders Jane’s Addiction.
...Members of all five Lollapalooza headliners will attend a press conference today at Ameoba Music in Hollywood to announced details of the tour. Specific dates, venues and support acts will be unveiled soon.

...Jane’s Addiction frontman Perry Farrell co-founded Lollapalooza and his band headlined the inaugural tour in 1991. Audioslave frontman Chris Cornell’s former band, Soundgarden, played the festival in 1992 and 1996, while the other three members of Audioslave experienced Lollapalooza in 1993 as Rage Against the Machine. Incubus, Queens of the Stone Age and Jurassic 5 are Lollapalooza newcomers.

...Modeled after such long-running British festivals as Glastonbury and Reading, Lollapalooza introduced the concept of a “midway” with retail booths, political action information, tattoo and piercing outlets, extreme sports, rave tents and more to American audiences. The festival also showcased some of the biggest names in the emerging alt-rock world, including Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, the Beastie Boys, Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Metallica, Primus, Korn and more.

...Alhough organizers had attempted to revive Lollapalooza for the past several years, time and artist restrictions had kept the festival dormant since 1997. In the interim, a number of similar events were spawned, including H.O.R.D.E., the Ozzfest, Warped Tour, Lilith Fair and Anger Management, to name a few.
Old 02-10-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely would be interested in JA, Audioslave and Queens. Incubus I could take or leave and Jurassic 5 I have no idea about.
Old 02-10-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Now, if we could do something about bringing an outdoor, all-day concert into the indoors considering it is hot as hell in the summer in Texas and paying $4 a bottle for water every hour is not enticing.
Old 02-10-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd like to take my wife to a really great festival, but I'm not impressed with this lineup. Not god-awful, but not enough to hassle with. I've been to a bunch of Lolla's and it seems like a few of them had a bit more variety than this.
Old 02-10-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Flashback
I definitely would be interested in JA, Audioslave and Queens. Incubus I could take or leave and Jurassic 5 I have no idea about.
Jurassic 5 is a rap group. All of the past Lollapalooza's featured at least 1 rap act as well. This is one hell of a lineup and I will defintely be attending!
Old 02-10-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Definitely not a terrible lineup, but I'm not sure if it's good enough that I'll go (if it even comes to Vegas). Outdoor shows here in the summertime aren't all that much fun...
Old 02-10-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wow. If it comes by L.A. i will get to see Audioslave the same way I got to see soundgarden and Rage way back when.. trippy.
Old 02-10-03, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

this sounds like a damn fine line-up to me..

i'll go if i can.. but i'm betting that it will be over by the time i get back from abroad.. damn.
-di doctor-
Old 02-10-03, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sounds like a great show
Old 02-10-03, 10:26 PM

J5 is not a rap group. They are one of the most amazing hip-hop groups in the past 5 years. They played the Bonanaroo jam ban festival last year and blew everyone away. This show is going to be amazing. The cities of the tour are up on the Lollapalooza site with 3 shows in Ohio!!!
Old 02-11-03, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that sound cool. I'd go just to QOTSA and Audioslave. I've never been to Lollapalooza though, how much did it cost in the past?
Old 02-11-03, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait to see who the oddball bands are on the tour.
Old 02-11-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
hmmmm, probably won't waste my money on this. I'd like to see Incubus and Audio slave but the other three I could care less about. Not worth paying $50 for a ticket when I only like 2 bands, and not even that much.
Old 02-11-03, 10:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Lollapalooza is back!

Originally posted by Dubya

...Modeled after such long-running British festivals as Glastonbury and Reading, Lollapalooza introduced the concept of a “midway” with retail booths, political action information, tattoo and piercing outlets, extreme sports, rave tents and more to American audiences.

I always felt this statement was rather untrue since of the three times I have been to Lolla they have never replicated the true"UK" music festival experiences I have had the chance to attend: T in the Park, Reading, and the V Festivals. There are always at least four stages - all running simultaneously, with a broader range of music genres and bands. The food/water/beer prices are cheaper than Lolla's. The UK festival sites are on farms or other large areas of land, not in pavillions or outdoor amphitheatres - which quite honestly suck.

Gonna save my money and choose one of the UK Summer music fests.
Old 02-11-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Wow. If it comes by L.A. i will get to see Audioslave the same way I got to see soundgarden and Rage way back when.. trippy.
Same way I first caught these 2 bands live. Also another first was Alice In Chains who played the same show that RATM played.
Old 02-11-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MFRONE
J5 is not a rap group. They are one of the most amazing hip-hop groups in the past 5 years. They played the Bonanaroo jam ban festival last year and blew everyone away. This show is going to be amazing. The cities of the tour are up on the Lollapalooza site with 3 shows in Ohio!!!
It wasn't my intention to label them a "rap group" as if it was a bad thing. I've been a fan for quite some time and look forward to seeing them perform.
Old 02-14-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i'll be there for J5 and Audioslave for sure! don't care much about any of the others, cept for JA.