Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Five Albums that Changed Your Life

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Discuss. They don't have to be your 5 favorite albums -- just the 5 that most had an effect on your life. Post reasons if you so desire.

Mine:

1) Pearl Jam - Ten: First rock band I ever got into when I was 12.
2) Green Day - Dookie: First "punk" CD ever listened to
3) Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming: Very memorable songs from the days of growing up in high school and college
4) The Ataris - Blue Skies, Broken Hearts.. Next 12 Exits: On the outside it's mostly generic pop punk. But there are a boatload of great memories associated with this disc for me.
5) Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory?: Senior year of high school I was addicted to this CD. What person doesn't have a #1 CD associated with one of the best years of their lives?
Old 02-07-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed my life? I'm not sure. "Am I miserable because I listen to pop music, or do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable?".
Off the top of my head:
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The USA - can't stand it now, and it's probably been a dozen years since I listened to it, but man, the summer of 84...
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Damn the Torpedoes - summer of 85. Laying on the beach, drinking in the sun, just waiting for something to happen...
Glenn Gould - Goldberg Variations (1955) - the first time I heard this, I fantasized that I would find a woman that liked it; that I would come home from work one day to find that woman curled up in a chair reading, not wearing anything, listening to the Bach. When that actually happened, I made sure I married that woman as quickly as I could.
Peter Case - self-titled debut - the first real inkling that there was a greater world out there, that the road hadn't died with Kerouac.
Crosby Stills Nash & Young - So Far - nothing in particular, but any album that can, with its first notes, inspire a Proustian fantasia on the past has to have something going for it.

Honourable mention - Bruce Springsteen, Teardrops on the City - an unofficial live album from 1981. Listening to this -- Can't Help Fallin' In Love in particular -- on an airplane, watching the prairie roll away under me, feeling my heart break and my soul as big as the world... I don't know if it was first love or infatuation. I still don't. And I don't care.
Old 02-07-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: first music I ever actually sat down and listened to on a CD. It is what started my - sometimes frightening - obsession with music.

2. Nirvana - Nevermind: first tape I ever bought, and it still sounds fresh today.

3. Sonic Youth - Washing Machine: second tape I ever bought; at first I just didn't understand SY - it was way too strange - but I still loved that tape. I couldn't explain why I listened to it so much, but I remember coming home from school and listening to it over and over again. I also remember talking about how cool I thought it was that they had a 20 minute jam of "The Diamond Sea" and my sister's boyfriend (7 years older) told me that I had bad taste in music.

4. Miles Davis - Bitches Brew: I sat down and listened to this whole thing and was amazed at the sheer boldness of it all.

5. Radiohead - OK Computer: I know this one is kind of a cop-out, but it was the second CD I ever purchased and it is probably my most rotated album EVER.
Old 02-07-03, 01:32 PM

1. Men Without Hats: Rhythm of Youth -- first album I ever received. Not that the album was that memorable (I had to search on the web for the album title), but it was the first. (For those who are wondering, yes, it was the album with "The Safety Dance".)
2. "Weird Al" Yankovic: In 3-D -- first album I ever bought. I darn near wore out the tape; "Weird Al" was the first artist I was ever a fan of.
3. They Might Be Giants: Lincoln -- first time I ever bought an album that could be described as "obscure." Yes, "Ana Ng" was a minor hit, but basically I was taking a chance that I'd like the rest of the album. Since they're still one of my 2 or 3 favorite bands, I guess it panned out for me.
4. Matthew Sweet: Girlfriend -- I listened to this a lot -- a lot -- in college. Chalk it up to the "great album at a great time in life" effect. It's not my favorite album ever right now, but I don't think I've ever liked an album as much as I did when I was into the album.
5. Son Volt: Trace -- I heard Son Volt in concert because I'd heard they were pretty good, then I decided I'd try the CD. I don't listen to this much anymore, but since they were the band that slowly led me to Wilco, Whiskeytown, and other bands I still listen to on a regular basis today, I guess I should give it some recognition.

Interesting thread...

Last edited by SAShepherd; 02-07-03 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-07-03, 01:43 PM

In chronological order of when they affected me.

Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction: The hair bands that ruled the scene at the time were done for within nine seconds of the opening of Welcome to the Jungle. The first album that ever induced real emotion in me.

Faith No More - The Real Thing: The first cd I ever owned. IMO, the beginning of the alternative movement.

Nirvana - Nevermind: The opening guitar to Smells Like Teen Spirit defined everything in me at the time. I think it defined my entire generation, at the time. It fit into my life like a missing puzzle piece.

Pink Floyd - The Wall: Hearing this album was like having my musical blinders ripped off. The day before I was happy with my narrow musical tastes, the day after I wanted to experience everything music had to offer.

Offspring - Smash: The theme music to my sophomore year in HS, which was both the best and worst times of my life. It played in harmony with the good parts and geared me up to handle the bad parts.

And one more that hasn't "changed my life"...yet...

Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview: Voices a lot of the concepts that make up my beliefs. I like to think that I will someday be able to look back at this album as something that changed my life.

From the song Al's War - "Sometimes I think I'm the only one who feels like going nowhere is like giving up"
Old 02-07-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. The Beatles, Rubber Soul: The first album I can remember really getting into. I was about 6 or 7 at the time. Loved the songs, my dad and I would play them on guitar and sing along.

2. A mix tape that my father made me: On it were three artists that changed a lot for me -- Mississippi John Hurt, Doc Watson and Hank Williams. This was the tape I listened to more than anything in 7th grade. I loved the songs, learned to play most of them on guitar. I was obsessed with country, bluegrass and, to a lesser extent, the blues.

3. Pavement, Slanted and Enchanted: I bought this a little after it came out solely because the employees at the record store I always went to were so nice and cool. I was emulating them, and starting buying lots of indie records when I was 13 or so. Most of them I couldn't get into. I just didn't like them much at all, but I kept buying them 'cause I thought one day I'd "get it." I finally did with S&E about four months after I bought it. It was "Here" that drew me in.

4. Uncle Tupelo, March 16-20: My father loved Uncle Tupelo. They played the bar/club he ran several times, but this was the first album of theirs that I got into. I met the band right around this time, and Farrar spoke to me, which I learned later was a rarity. I didn't know who they were at the time (my dad just took me to the club before the show so I could shake their hands), but very cool nonetheless. The first song that really got me from this was "Black Eye."

5. Gang of Four, Entertainment: Started listening to this album my senior year of high school, after reading an interview (in AP, I think) where David Pajo talked about them (Pajo being near-God to me at the time as I was in a huge Slint phase). I bought the album and they immediately became one of my favorite bands. I had never heard music quite like this before, noisey and dancey and all of the things I liked music to be.

(Honorable mentions: DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, the Neneh Cherry song "Buffalo Stance" and Fleetwood Mac, Rumours)
Old 02-07-03, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Interesting thread...I would have to say these

1.) Michael Jackson: Thriller - This album was is what got me into music in the first place way back when.

2.) GNR: Appetite - This album got me more into the rock/metal phase in my life, pushing pop out.

3.) 2Pac: All Eyez On Me - This album put rock/metal on hold for me for about 2 years. All I listened to during this period in my life was rap.

4.) TOOL: Aenima - This album smashed rap out of my life and made me listen to rock/metal exclusively. I remember first hearing that intro to Stinkfist.....my Tool obsession came shortly after I saw them in concert for the first time.

5.) Still waiting for that 5th album
Old 02-07-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In roughly chronological order...

News of the World by Queen. My cousin who used to babysit me (and I had a crush on) bought this for me when I was only 6 or 7, it was my first rock album--and if you know what the first two songs are, well, it's the beginning of a passionate love-affair with rock and music in general. Incredible.

The Wall by Pink Floyd. I never knew music could be this powerful and vast in scope. It showed me the first example of rock as Art.

3 Feet High and Rising by De La Soul--there was hip-hop, i.e. RUN-DMC, and then there was this!

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart. Anything was possible. No rules. All music turned upside-down.

shortly followed by:

Bone Machine by Tom Waits. Prophecy on record, the ancient soul of humanity captured raw and wriggling from the stinking river of life.

There are many more but no albums blew my mental and emotional doors open like these did.
Old 02-07-03, 02:01 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil: My very first LP back in the day. Still love the album.

AC/DC - Highway to Hell: The first album that showed me what rock'n'roll really was.

David Lee Roth - A Little Ain't Enough: Released at the introduction of grunge rock, yet reminded fans that rock'n'roll is about feeling and sounding good.

Dwight Yoakam - Guitars & Cadillacs: I had said I 'hated' country music until I heard the first taste of Yoakam. He changed my view on the word 'country' music.

Rolling Stones - 40 Licks: Their most recent album, basically a greatest hits compilation, has actually had a profound impact on my music life. It reminded me that through all the years and all the flavors of music that come out and may or not be popular. Rolling Stones brand of rock'n'roll will live forever and will never be surpassed.
Old 02-07-03, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Michael Jackson - Thriller: For my 7th birthday, I got a boombox and this casette. This album got me interested in music.

Def Leppard - Hysteria: For better or worse, this album defined the 80s for me and started off 5 years of glam metal fandom.

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted (and to a lesser extent Nirvana - Nevermind): Killed the glam bug in me forever.

Phish - A Live One: Introduced me to improv music, which is still one of my favorite genres.

Old 97's - Too Far to Care: Introduced me to alt-country, my other favorite genre.

...And I've gotta cheat and add a sixth...

Sublime - 40oz. to Freedom: When I think of college, I hear this album.
Old 02-07-03, 02:51 PM

Judas Priest - Hell Bent For Leather
This album started out my rebellious years.

Black Flag - Slip It In
Opened a whole new world of music to me.

Ministry - Land of Rape and Honey
I don't know if this album changed my life, but it came out during the worst time of my life and I'll always probably remember it that way.

Nirvana - Nevermind
The downfall of glam rock.

I really don't know if there is a fifth.
Old 02-07-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hard to say, but I'll try ... (in no particular order)

1. Descendents - Somery
This is the band and the album that turned me on to punk rock. I don't think I even knew what punk rock was. I decided to listen to this album in a record store because of the Weinerschnitzel song from Pump up the Volume. I ended up buying that same day.

2. Operation Ivy -
Man, this band had such a profound influence on me. It was almost an obsession for awhile. At the time (1993), I had never heard of another band that sounded like them. And I tried desperately to find anything that did. A friend of mine had played like 3 songs of theres on his CD player -- and I fell in love instantly and bought the album a few days later.

3. Pink Floyd - soundtrack to "Live at Pompeii"
Well.. I can never really pinpoint a specific CD. The first time I had ever heard PF was while watching Live at Pompeii .. umm.. under the influence. The music from this movie will always bring back memories (good and bad).

4. Metallica - black album
For a long time I didn't really have a taste in music. I mostly listened to whatever was on the radio or what friends were listening to. I never really "loved" a band. When I was 16, I first heard Metallica's black album and it forever changed me. From that day on, I began to seek out music on my own and developed my own tastes... often very different from what was on the radio or what friends were listening to. The black album is not my favorite Metallica album -- but it is the first to have influenced me.

Thrice - Identity Crisis
rather new, but they are the band that got me back into music. For a long time (about 2 years), I rarely bought any CDs or looked for new bands. Then I heard Thrice. Awesome band. They made me go out and look for new stuff again.
Old 02-07-03, 03:19 PM
Banned

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Like some others, this was my first album. I got it for Kindegarten Graduation. If for no other reason, how can your first album not change your life?

Beastie Boys - License to Ill

Hello Rap Stage!!

Eazy-E - Eazy Duz It

Goodbye Rap Stage!! Hellooo Gansta Rap Stage!!

Phish - A Live One

Goodbye Gangsta Rap Stage!! I just found something I will never have to say goodbye to!! Thank you Phish. Thank you Marijuana.

Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

This existed my whole life and I never knew about it?? WTF?? I can't say that this album started my fascination with Classic Rock, but it definitely peaked it.

Honorable Mention

Dark Side of the Moon
40 oz to Freedom
Born to Run (go listen to Thunder Road, NOW)
No Doy
The Chronic
Pet Sounds
L.A. Woman
Old 02-07-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Bust
Michael Jackson - Thriller

Like some others, this was my first album. I got it for Kindegarten Graduation. If for no other reason, how can your first album not change your life?
Probably because mine was Bert and Ernie sing birthday songs.
I have no idea what my first album was. So... I doubt it influenced me much.
Old 02-07-03, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Thrice rocks. I can't stop listening to Illusion of Safety.
Old 02-07-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
chronologically:

Queen: "The Game"
I was in 3rd grade when it first came out and it was the first album I bought with my own money. Still love it.

Descendents: "I Don't Wanna Grow Up"
My introduction to punk. Sad to know that after all this time, it didn't get much better.

U2: "War"
Not U2's best album - but it definitly made me "rethink" what I thought about music.

Led Zeppelin: untitled, 4th album
About 15 years after it first came out - it helped me get out of my punk/techno/glam phase and really appreciate good rock & roll.

Ocean Colour Scene: "Mosley Schoals"
After almost giving up on newer music, OCS helped me realize that there are still good rock bands out there that write good songs, know how to sing, play the hell out of their instruments and put on a kick-ass live show.
Old 02-07-03, 04:30 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by Bust
[B

Hello Rap Stage!!

Eazy-E - Eazy Duz It

Goodbye Rap Stage!! Hellooo Gansta Rap Stage!!

[/B]
Good call. I totally forgot about this one. This would arguably make my top 5 (maybe 6th spot).

I bet I still have this whole damned album memorized.
Old 02-07-03, 05:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gdrlv
Michael Jackson - Thriller: For my 7th birthday, I got a boombox and this casette. This album got me interested in music.

Def Leppard - Hysteria: For better or worse, this album defined the 80s for me and started off 5 years of glam metal fandom.

Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted (and to a lesser extent Nirvana - Nevermind): Killed the glam bug in me forever.

Phish - A Live One: Introduced me to improv music, which is still one of my favorite genres.

Old 97's - Too Far to Care: Introduced me to alt-country, my other favorite genre.

...And I've gotta cheat and add a sixth...

Sublime - 40oz. to Freedom: When I think of college, I hear this album.
Looking at my list, I can't believe I didn't include any hip hop. I guess as honorable mentions then, I'll include...
Run-DMC - Raising Hell
Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill and Paul's Boutique
A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the 36 Chambers
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...

I never really went through a gangsta rap stage. I always liked ATCQ and De La Soul better than NWA and the like...
Old 02-07-03, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1 Beatles "Help" "Hard Day's Night" These two albums were left in my grandmother's house when my aunt went off to college. I remember playing them over and over as a kid and singing my guts out. Had no idea at the time I was actually listening to such great music, but it totally influenced what I still enjoy today.

2 New Order "Power, Corruption and Lies" This is not my favorite New Order album today, but back when it came out everything about it was cool. The cover art, the interesting combo of bass, guitar, keyboards. My love for electronic music stems from this album and OMD's first 2 discs.

3 Violent Femmes "Violent Femmes" The first time something so strange to me sounded so great. I was only 18 when I first heard this back in '83 and it was completely foreign sounding. The lyrics were goofy, dirty and weird to me. Now it's a frat fave, but it's a great disc. And I think my love for country can be traced back to this.

4 REM "Murmer" Maybe this is too obvious to mention, but it VASTLY changed my thoughts on music. This was also a recording I heard when I was 18 in '83 and there was nothing else like it. I bought it after reading a review and at first I didn't get it. I was listening to Duran Duran and Flock of Seagulls at the time, so this sound was off-putting at first. Within a month I couldn't take it off my turntable. I still get chills when I listen to certain songs off this baby.

5 Monkees "Monkees" and the Rolling Stones "England's Newest Hitmakers" (their debut). Okay, that's two recordings, but somebody left these two albums in the basement of a house we moved into when I was 7. I didn't know any better, but I listened to them over and over. I got that little rock bug early in my life and it can be traced to these really great albums as well.
Old 02-07-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In reverse chronological order:

GU 019: Los Angeles - John Digweed
Tranceport - Paul Oakenfold
Tribe Called Quest - Low end Theory
Run D.M.C.
Alvin and the Chipmunks Chirstmas
Old 02-07-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pearl Jam---vs.
Pearl Jam---Vitalogy
Counting Crows---August and Everything After
r.e.m.---automatic for the people
Soul Asylum----Grave Dancers Union
Old 02-07-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Pearl Jam - Ten: This was also my first Rock cd I owned. I've been addicted ever since. It also is what broke me away from Michael Jackson at such a young age.

2. Tool - Undertow: The first Tool album I bought, back in the good ol days. I was young, but I knew something huge was happening here.

3. Pink Floyd - DSOTM: Opened my eyes to music of the past. I listened to this album constantly for quite some time and eventually bought every other Floyd album. Truly inspiring to me as a musician.

4. NIN - Broken: The Album that got me into NIN, yet again at a very young age. Over the years Reznors music has helped me enormously.

5. Tool - Lateralus: Proved to me that there are still people out there who think.... This album has truly inspired me. Proves to me once again that this band is on another level.
Old 02-07-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
West Side Connection - Bow Down
Weezer - Weezer

Those are all I can name...I'm upset, I lost my WSC CD, I'll have to gather the songs again and burn it. I'll have my Weezer CD forever.
Old 02-07-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In no particular order

Nine Inch Nails - Broken

This was my freaking high school anthem album...it summed up how I felt at the time...mega pissed, I just related to it.

Pink Floyd - The Wall

What a damn album. My friends and I wore the damn thing out the summer of 95. I related to the themes of alienation, and the idea of a Wall around me.

Def Leppard - Pyromania

One of the first albums I bought...while everyone was into the grunge scene, calling what was now mainstream alternative, I was rebelling against my peers by listening to older rock.

Rush - Signals

My first Rush studio album, and my favorite. I was feeling very subdivided at the time, and the music was an outlet...

Rush - Moving Pictures.

Limelight is a song that freezes me everytime...it described in music how I felt at the time emotionally...something that is beyond words.
Old 02-07-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In no particular order:

Tool - Aenima

Stone Temple Pilots - Core

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Sevendust - Home

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldnt' Stand the Weather

I'll keep the reason to myself, but they all have contributed significantly to who I am and what I'm about.

Last edited by db27; 02-07-03 at 10:38 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.