Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

blur fans unite!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blur fans unite!

i just wanted to say how much i love blur and thought i might entice others to join in my worship!

of course, my favorite album of theirs is Parklife followed by The Great Escape... those were the "most produced" albums of theirs, but they were also their most successful, IMO. of course, i haven't heard 13 in its entirety yet (see below)..

they have a new album coming out this year... (glad to hear that Damon has moved past Gorillaz - even though i like Gorillaz, i prefer blur more...) the new album is currently rumored for April-ish. anybody here heard their newer songs/recent singles?! i'm curious what they sound like...

i just bought 13 today. haven't given it a solid listen yet. from what i've read, it's a "grower" - i.e. it will grow on you.

anyhoo... yay blur!
-di doctor-
Old 02-02-03, 10:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Blur is an excellent band. I prefer "Blur" and "13" to "Park Life" or "The Great Escape."
Old 02-02-03, 11:05 PM

to each his/her own!

to be fair, i guess i should add that i probably have not given blur nor 13 (definitely not 13) enough time to digest. i haven't given them equal shares of listening...

the one thing you get with blur is change. nothing is ever the same. which is cool! (kinda like radiohead, in that sense!)
-di doctor-
Old 02-03-03, 12:16 AM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self-Titled "Blur" and "13" have been admittedly influenced by Pavement (Damon Albarn has sighted them as one of his favorite bands) . . . if you know or dig Pavement, you'll hear the references.

If you don't know Pavement or Stephen Malkmus's solo work, check it out . . . immediately. New Stephen Malkmus on March 18th . . .
Old 02-03-03, 02:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by jarsim
Self-Titled "Blur" and "13" have been admittedly influenced by Pavement (Damon Albarn has sighted them as one of his favorite bands) . . . if you know or dig Pavement, you'll hear the references.

If you don't know Pavement or Stephen Malkmus's solo work, check it out . . . immediately. New Stephen Malkmus on March 18th . . .
Pavement is one of my favorite bands...probably the reason I'm a bigger fan of Blur's later period stuff...
Old 02-03-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I love Blur and prefer Great Escape and Parklife.

If you don't have their best of DVD, get it! It's excellent.

Are there any live DVDs or Vids out? Damon's energy in the live clips on the DVD make it look like they're fun live.
Old 02-04-03, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Leisure" is my favorite.
Old 02-04-03, 08:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
my introduction to Blur was when MTV showed "Chemical World" on 120 minutes a day or two ago.
Old 02-04-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blur is awesome. Glad they got past the whole Blur vs. Oasis thing from a few years back. My favorites are Great Escape and Blur.
Old 02-04-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Giles
my introduction to Blur was when MTV showed "Chemical World" on 120 minutes a day or two ago.
They are running the 120 Minutes show again? What time? Sunday at Midnight EDT?
Old 02-04-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Love "Parklife". Absolutely love it. I like the Kinks influence in a lot of their tunes. Having said that, I never got into "The Great Escape" at all.

And "Blur" is also wonderful. Glad they goofed around with their sound and kept things interesting.
Old 02-04-03, 11:55 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Buford T Pusser
They are running the 120 Minutes show again? What time? Sunday at Midnight EDT?
sorry, a "day or two ago" meant to read, 1984 when "Modern Life is Rubbish" was released.
Old 02-04-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I highly recommend the Best of Blur DVD. It can be had cheaply and it's fun to see how young the boys were when they started (and how much they kinda sucked back then).

Parklife is one of the best albums of the nities and Great Escape isn't far behind.
Old 02-04-03, 12:37 PM

"Modern Life" has always been my favorite, but they're all very enjoyable. I think they were trailing of a bit with "13" and releasing a greatest hits is never a good sign.
Old 02-04-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just opened the cd case for "Parklife" and it's missing. Somehow it must have been placed in another case. Damn I want to hear it now.
Old 02-04-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Hiro11
I highly recommend the Best of Blur DVD. It can be had cheaply and it's fun to see how young the boys were when they started (and how much they kinda sucked back then).

I have that DVD. It's great especially since their more recent videos are awesome. My favorite is Coffee and TV.